Environmental Bamboo Foundation / EBF is a non-profit foundation engaged in the development and improvement of the quality of bamboo for people’s livelihood and welfare by implementing a sustainable management system and community-based empowerment.
EBF was founded in 1993 by Linda Garland (Indonesian Bamboo Ambassador) under the name Yayasan Bambu Lingkungan Lestari (Environmental Sustainable Bamboo Foundation). Concurred with the establishment of EBF, the Bamboo Planting Program in the Flores region was initiated in 1992 as a form of post-earthquake recovery activity in Flores. In 1995, in collaboration with the Government of East Nusa Tenggara (NTT), EBF launched the One Million Bamboo Planting Program in Flores.
The scope of EBF’s activities includes community empowerment supported by research on bamboo with its supporting components, both in terms of socio-economic, environmental, as well as supporting science. In 2017, at the UNCCC – COP 23, EBF launched the 1,000 Bamboo Villages Initiative program. The 1,000 Bamboo Villages Initiative program is aiming to create a Restoration Economy where people, especially rural farming communities can actively restore degraded and make a very good economy for themselves their families and their communities in the process
The 1,000 Bamboo Villages Initiative program allows farmer cooperatives to produce value-added bamboo products, at the village level, by creating an integrated forest to the factory production system. Through the initiative EBF has developed a bamboo forestry system called the Hutan Bambu Lestari / HBL system (Sustainable Bamboo Forests system) which is a community-based bamboo forestry system to sustain a sustainable bamboo industry in Indonesia. The 1,000 Bamboo Villages Initiative program is a holistic system where native species are reintroduced to degraded lands and set aside areas for food crops and cash crops within a larger agroforestry reality.
Environmental Bamboo Foundation believes that to successfully execute the 1,000 Bamboo Villages vision, there are Six Key Pathways that will have to be activated;
The First Pathway, Resource Investment and Mobilization, is to ensure investment in village-level bamboo industry is attractive to the financial sector and Bamboo Villages are a bankable asset class.
The Second Pathway, Grow Network of Resilient Bamboo Villages, is to ensure optimal, long-term utilization of the landscape through establishing bamboo agroforestry systems that are socially, financially, ecologically resilient.
The Third Pathway, Build Digital Business Solutions for Bamboo Agroforestry, is to digitalize bamboo agroforestry industry for increased efficiency, professionalization and connectivity.
The Fourth Pathway, Ensure Market Access Through Sustainable Certification, is to ensure acceptability to market through an affordable verification of sustainably sourced bamboo and agroforestry products.
The Fifth Pathway, Govern Bamboo Agroforestry Value Chains, is to partner with key market players to ensure good governance and create a trusted, transparent equitable value chain for bamboo agroforestry products.
The Sixth Pathway, Strengthen Public Sector Support, is to ensure bamboo agroforestry industry is supported by key policy development and a regulatory environment that enables a restorative economic growth of the sector
For this purpose, EBF invites experienced, energetic and passionate professional who has growth mindset to join EBF’s Team in establishing 1.000 Bamboo Villages as OPERATIONS DIRECTOR.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Leadership and quality assurance on management of operations
- Provision of quality support and maximization of resource utilization
- Support to resource mobilization and services to counterparts
- Support to planning and budgeting and organizational development
- Provision of internal control and support services system
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Playing a leading role in compiling organization budget and growth strategy.
- Executing strategies to optimize company and asset growth.
- Ensuring expertise and effectiveness across operating platforms.
- Creating strategies to challenge theft and stock losses, and implementing initiatives to reduce organization costs.
- Creating financial reports.
- Managing money handling, accounting, and bank processes.
- Driving employees and leading performance reviews, to ensure an engaged and skilled workforce.
- Initiating better business practices.
- Collaborating with leadership to build an environment of collective responsibility and accountability.
- Ensuring adherence to key performance objectives to meet business and customer expectations.
Impact of Results:
The results of the work of the Operations Director greatly impacts on the accountability transactions, effective operations and organizational capacity of EBF. Support services reaching maximum operational standards and contributing to financial sustainability of EBF’s secured through effective resources management and systematic and effective resource mobilization strategy.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
Master’s degree in international development, public administration, business administration, public policy or other relevant social sciences or comprehensive proven corporate management experience in large scale operations management.
- 10 years of relevant experience in development in a governmental, multilateral or civil society organization in a multi-cultural setting
- Senior level management responsibilities of similar size and complexity.
- Experience in managing complex or multiple projects in multi locations (different provinces), including staffing, workloads and finance under deadlines.
- Supervisory experience, including motivating, leading, setting objectives and managing performance.
- Strong computer literacy especially Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word and Presentation Development.
- Experience working and communicating with a wide range of people.
- Experience in partnership development with non-profit partners, community groups and/or government agencies.
- Experience working in non-profit institutions of minimum 3 years would be an advantage.
- Good understanding of restoration, community livelihood, low carbon development, circular economy and capacity building.
- Willing to travel to various island of Indonesia.
Excellent written and verbal Bahasa Indonesia and English.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling EBF’s values and ethical standards.
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of EBF.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes knowledge management and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example.
- In-depth practical knowledge of inter-disciplinary governance development issues and especially on the areas of operations.
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting.
- Ability to lead formulation and monitoring of projects.
- Solid knowledge in financial resources and human resources management, contract, assets and procurement, information and communication technology, general administration.
- Ability to lead business processes re-engineering, implementation of new systems (business side), and affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change.
Management and Leadership
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client, responds positively to feedback and encourages team work.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
- Ability to lead effectively, mentoring as well as conflict resolution skills.
- Demonstrates strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure.
- Proven networking, team-building, organizational and communication skills.