Planet Indonesia is an award winning grassroots oriented, 501(c)3 not-for-profit dedicated to the conservation of earth’s ecosystems and communities. We conserve at-risk ecosystems through village-led partnerships. Our model provides community-based services in exchange for protecting and restoring the world’s most critical ecosystems. Planet Indonesia is at the forefront of community empowerment, utilizing a holistic model to help low-income communities achieve sustainable development through nature conservation. We embrace a “bottom-up” approach, helping communities own every step of the planning, implementation, and management of initiatives, as we understand this to be essential for long-lasting, sustainable change.
Our conservation cooperative (CCs) approach allows communities to enroll in our programs to receive much needed services in exchange for engaging in sustainable resource use. Through these CCs we administer services in three sectors: education, business, and health. Our model helps communities overcome the opportunity costs of conservation and ensures fair and equitable development in tandem with responsible resource management and stewardship.
We expect this position to perform the following duties:
The MEAL Officer will (1) Develop and implement the M&E strategy for programs, improving program quality, monitoring performance and facilitating the transmission of best practices. (2) He/she will provide technical field support to the Resource Development and Communications and contribute to the drafting of quality project proposals and donor reports, enhancing the overall use of clear program logic, sound data collection and analysis methods; and facilitating assessments that are integrally linked to program design. (3) He/she will also help ensure that beneficiaries’ feedback/complaint mechanisms are set-up and functioning to support accountability to beneficiaries and donors.
Development and implementation of monitoring and evaluation strategy
1. Develop, maintain and update MEAL (systems, approaches and tools for measuring, monitoring and evaluating programs aligned YPI’s over-all strategy.
2. Work with Program Managers to ensure that M&E plans are defined at the start of any project and M&E activities occur on regular basis;
3. Support program staff in data collection and analysis tools related to project design and monitoring;
4. Build staff capacity through the training provision on record keeping, drafting concise and accurate program report, proposal development and project monitoring.
5. Design and facilitate program/project performance review sessions
6. Recruit and supervise external consultants regarding MEAL activities in order to maximize the quality of the outputs
7. Establish an efficient, simple and user-friendly information/documentation, reporting, monitoring and evaluation system for projects
8. Participate in internal and external MEAL groups/networks to keep abreast with the developments in MEAL practice.
9. Keep abreast of developments in grant/program changes and progress in order to advise and recommend tools and strategies to strengthen program performances and results.
Support to the draft of quality project proposals and donors reports
10. Conducts baseline studies, needs assessment and research for new program development, as required
11. Ensure that relevant best practices and lessons from past/current projects are incorporated in new proposals
12. Provide technical support in the project design process (e.g. expertise on the log frame approach);
13. Under the direction of the Senior Management participate in the draft of quality project proposals and donors reports
14. Support the Senior Management to ensure that donor and partner data queries are addressed in an accurate and timely manner.
Accountability to beneficiaries
15. Set up a proper mechanism for beneficiaries feedback and accountability through installation of project information boards, hotline, complaints management system
- Preferred a Master’s degree in a relevant field of experience plus 2 years relevant experience in conservation work in a developing country
- Preferred more than 3 years of relevant work experience in M&E
- Willing to spend periods of time in rural areas while conducting field work
- Adaptable and flexible to changing conditions
- Team player
- Culturally sensitive
- Good communication skills both written and oral
- Data analysis skills
- Data management
- Fluent in Bahasa Indonesia
- Conversation skills in English desirable but not necessary