MADANI Individual Consultancy: Mapping of PerPres 16/2018 Swakelola Type III for Civil Society Organizations
MADANI Civil Society Support Initiative is a five-year USAID-funded project implemented by FHI 360, a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, local-driven solutions. MADANI aims to strengthen local government accountability and communal tolerance in Indonesia by improving and sustaining local civil society’s capacity, legitimacy, and sustainability in 32 districts in the provinces of Banten, West Java, Central Java, East Java, West Kalimantan and South Sulawesi. MADANI provide grants and technical assistance directly to targeted subnational civil society organizations (CSOs) to improve their operational capacities and systems, build stronger ties with communities and local governments, and support an improved environment and more sustainable means of mobilizing financial resources, including from the government and private sector.
This consultancy relates to the latter issue of civil society financial sustainability, and more specifically to the exciting new opportunity for CSOs to participate in bidding processes for the receipt of funds to be allocated in local budgets (APBD). For the first time, Presidential Regulation (PerPres) 16/2018 (recently revised to Perpres 12/2021 but no changes for CSOs) allows registered CSOs to bid for selected government tenders and is a potential source of diversification of funding for CSOs and for building partnership between LGs and CSOs. With this regulation, CSOs can now apply for smaller government tenders managed directly by a government agency and executed by a registered CSO (swakelola tipe III). To be eligible, CSOs must comply with the minimum accountability and transparency standard that corresponded to standards set by the government.
MADANI is now seeking a consultant with deep knowledge on the procurement regulations and sufficient experience in proving services to CSO and local government in the dissemination and implementation of the regulation to carry out this assessment.
Detail Description of Task to be Performed:
Under the direction and supervision of the Technical Director and Technical Team, the assistance to be provided by the consultant will include:
- Stocktaking and desk research/interviews with government institutions and CSOs who have prior experiences in dissemination and providing assistance in implementing PerPres 16/2018. Based on this activity, the consultant will report on policies, context, challenges and opportunities from both sides: local government and CSOs, including level of commitment and capacity of LGs, communication among LGs and local CSOs and experiences in implementing the regulation.
- Developing criteria for selected districts to pilot the regulation, and in coordination with MADANI Field Coordinators, conduct a mapping of potential targeted local governments and CSOs to implement PerPres 16/2018.
- Based on the above stock-taking, propose steps needed to pilot PerPres 16/2018 in the selected districts.
- Drafting a final report on the background and rationale of the research, the findings (opportunities and challenges), and a conclusion with recommendations for MADANI and a roadmap (activities & approaches) for piloting implementation of PerPres 16/2018 in MADANI districts.
It is expected that the study will be carried out over a period of 30 days during August to November 2021.
Qualification and Experience
FHI360/MADANI is looking for a consultant with proven academic, professional track record in conducting comprehensive stocktaking study with extensive work or research on social accountability, civil society, and governance issues in Indonesia. Prospective consultants should demonstrate the following qualifications:
- An advanced university degree in social sciences from a recognized university, majoring in Sociology, Public Policy, Anthropology, Political Science; or related disciplinary
- Five years of combined relevant professional work or research experience in the areas of procurement and civil society in Indonesia;
- Extensive knowledge of civil society organizations and actors, including at the local level;
- Strong presentation and writing skills;
- Knowledge of procurement processes is preferred.
The report will be written in Indonesian with an executive summary in English.
How to Apply:
Applications should include past experience working in public procurement, resource mobilization and civil society, detailed CV and proposed daily rate, should be marked “PerPres 16 Consultant” and be submitted via e-mail to Procurement-Madani@fhi360.org by Monday July 26, 2021 at 17:00 WIB (Jakarta time).
Short-listed candidates may be invited via mail/phone for interview.