POSITION TITLE: Local Governance Specialist
REPORTS TO: Technical Director
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in Health, Education, Nutrition, Environment, Economic Development, Civil Society, Gender, Youth, Research and Technology– creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 50 countries, and all 50 U.S. states and territories.
FHI 360 is currently recruiting for the position of Local Governance Specialist for MADANI, USAID’s five-year civil society strengthen project that began in March 2019. MADANI focuses on developing the capacity, legitimacy and sustainability of civil society organizations (CSOs) to increase government accountability and community tolerance in 32 districts in the provinces of Banten, West Java, East Java, Central Java, South Sulawesi, and West Kalimantan.
Indonesian nationals and women are especially encouraged to apply.
The position will work under the leadership of the Technical Director and will support CSOs to strengthen relationships with local governments to work as partners on accountability issues – especially the disbursement of funds and the provision of public services at the local level. Together with the Capacity Development Specialist and Civil Society Specialist, s/he will support the development and adaptation of a suite of organizational development tools and approaches and provide mentoring, guidance, and resources for project field-based coordinators working with partner CSO in building partnerships with local governments. S/he will propose innovative, results-driven recommendations to ensure that local government become more responsive to civil society organizations, and work closely with the Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning team to meet and exceed the project’s output, outcome, and impact indicators.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The Local Governance Specialist will:
- Provide support to enable CSOs to work in partnership with local government officials to address issues of government accountability and community tolerance;
- Work with the team of field coordinators to build their capacities to engage local governments in capacity development interventions that work with CSOs;
- Develop tools to equip CSOs to better engage with local governments, including talking points, roundtable consultation strategies, public-private working group approaches, etc.;
- Work with targeted CSOs and local government agencies to develop interventions to strengthen the accountability of community and facility-based services, including provision of information and public oversight
- Support CSOs and local governments to understand procedures and mechanisms for collecting, analyzing, and using citizen feedback in public planning and service delivery
- Build and maintain good working relationships with related technical ministries at the national and provincial level to promote collaborative governance and wider replication and scaling up of the smart practices
- Work closely with the Civil Society Specialist to build strategic alliances among local government, CSOs and private sector. Oversee TA for target CSOs on local governance processes, policy making, and engagement.
- Oversee TA to district government to build the understanding about the benefits of engaging with local CSOs, improve awareness of the rights of citizens to participate in feedback mechanisms, promote their rights to quality public services, and support their engagement in collaborative governance activities, and become more responsive to civil society advocacy, including supporting local governments on how to procure CSOs according to Presidential Regulation on Public Procurement (PerPres 16/2018).
- Explore opportunities for CSOs to collaboration with local legislative councils (DPRD) and the provision of legal clinics for CSOs;
- Support the sustainability of MADANI activities through identification of good practices for replication and institutionalization;
- Work with the Communication Specialist and MEL team to document partner project performance and success stories for knowledge sharing, reporting, learning, adaptation, and replication;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, public administration, education, law, sociology or related field required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of 15 years senior level experience in local governance, civil society, organizational capacity building, advocacy, rule of law, or other related democracy, rights, and governance sectors;
- At least 10 years of experience providing training, mentoring, and TA to local CSOs, and local governments.
- Strong knowledge and understanding laws and regulations related local governance, decentralization and role of civil society in Indonesia
- Demonstrated ability to design and adapt tools and document success stories and project learning for replication.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and navigate politically sensitive terrain;
- High degree of adaptability to varied working environments and good interpersonal and teamwork skills;
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects and consultants, and to set realistic priorities, and plan for the successful implementation of activities required.
- Demonstrated familiarity with USAID programming or other donor project in Indonesia;
- Demonstrated ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, consultants, and recipients of assistance required.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Bahasa Indonesia required
- Good computer skills, including Internet and e-mail.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
Interested candidate please submit your CV to FHI 360 career portal with the link below by the latest Jan 22, 2021
We offer competitive compensation and an outstanding benefit package.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran with respect to policies, programs, or activities.