Legal Drafter – Blueprint of Health Financing Legislation
April – December 2021
The USAID Health Financing Activity (HFA) in Indonesia is a five-year activity running from March 26, 2019 to March 25, 2024. ThinkWell and its partners will work closely with its government counterpart, the Ministry of Health’s (MoH) Center for Health Financing and Insurance, and secondary counterparts the Social Insurance Administering Body for Health (BPJS-K), Ministry of Finance (MoF), Ministry of Home Affairs (MoHA), National Social Security Board (DJSN), provincial authorities, and district authorities.
The goals of HFA are:
- To improve sustainability of the Government of Indonesia’s (GOI) financing for health
- Improve capacity for strategic health purchasing.
HFA is a technical assistance project designed to strengthen capacity in financial analyses, stakeholder engagement, learning, and decision-making. HFA will support the Ministry of Health’s leadership and vision to improve financial protection, equitable access to quality health services, and health outcomes. To help the MoH reach its goals, HFA is providing technical assistance for the blueprint of health financing legislation (Rancangan Peraturan Pemerintah/RPP), part of the regulation for implementing bylaw 36/2009 on health. The RPP will be the legal umbrella for health financing, overseeing the components of financing to ensure adequate, timely, and efficient health financing to meet strategic health goals.
PURPOSE AND SPECIFIC OBJECTIVE
To ensure the academic prowess of the RPP, as well as to mobilize strategic support and resources to institutionalize the health financing blueprint, HFA is hiring a legal drafter. This person is expected to lead the process of drafting the legal document for the health financing legislation, as well as to provide substantive expertise related to the legal framework which the legal draft will be based on. The legal drafter will work closely with the project’s lead (a senior health economist) and the working group – a team made up of MoH health financing staff and the USAID HFA technical team. As such, the legal drafter is also expected to consult and effectively coordinate with the MoH’s Center for Health Financing and Health Insurance and the USAID HFA team in drafting the legal paper. The legal drafter will work closely with the project’s lead to administratively assist in organizing and leading series of stakeholder workshops and meetings.
- Drafting the legal technical concept note (including the framework) for the health financing legislation
- Assisting in drafting an academic paper, which will be the technical backbone of the health financing legislation
- Drafting the legislation on health financing in collaboration with the GOI, especially the MoH’s Center for Health Financing and Health Insurance
- Legal technical concept note, which will serve as the backbone for the health financing legislation
- Academic paper on the health financing legislation blueprint
- Draft legislation on health financing
Job Location: This is a part-time consultant position based in ThinkWell’s office in Jakarta, Indonesia. (Indonesian Nationals Only)
Timeline: April 2021 to December 2021 (9 months period).
Reporting Lines and Teamwork
- dr. Hasbullah Thabrany, MPH, Dr. PH (Chief of Party, USAID HFA)
- Sushanty, MKM (Operational Manager, USAID HFA)
- At minimum, a Master’s degree (S2) in law, public policy, or any relevant educational background;
- Minimum 6 years of professional experience in producing legal documents or drafting regulations related to the health sector;
- Strong interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity, to effectively communicate with government officials, development partners, other staffs, and stakeholders; and
- A driven person who can initiate work independently and comply with deadlines, as well as someone who is innovative and values producing good quality work; and
- Good verbal and written communications skills in English and Indonesian.