Functional Title : legal Associate
Category & Level : UNOPS, Individual Contract Agreement, LICA-6 Level
Duty Station : Jakarta, Indonesia
Entry on Duty : 01 January 2021
Duration : Initially until 31 December 2021 with possibility of extension
(extension is subject to availability of fund)
Annual Salary : Starting from IDR 264.405.000
Closing Date : 25 September 2020
The Legal Associate is a member of protection team. S/he normally reports to Assistant Protection Officer.
The Legal Associate assists the supervisor to prepare legal analysis required for quality, timely and effective protection responses to the needs of populations of concern. Another important function of the position is to contribute to the involvement of the persons of concern with an office in making decisions that affect them, whether in accessing their rights or in identifying appropriate solutions to their problems. To achieve this, the incumbent will need to support involvement of communities of concern and relevant authorities in continuous cooperation. Additionally, the Legal Associate is expected to contribute to the capacity building activities for local and national authorities in the area of protection of persons of concern either directly or in cooperation with partners.
Legal Associate will be engaged in all the legal issues relating to the protection of asylum seekers and refugees in the archipelago that includes areas where UNHCR has presence and has no presence (Kupang, Surabaya, Semarang, Denpasar) covering issues related to detention, potential refoulement cases which require a close coordination with Immigration authorities, law enforcement agency, legal aid and pro-bono lawyers.
In addition to the above, the Legal Associate assists Assistant Protection Officer in dealing with legal research on labour law, citizenship law, Immigration law, by laws that may affect persons of concern to UNHCR Indonesia.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Assistant Protection Officer and the overall supervision of the Senior Protection Officer, the incumbent will perform the following duties in his/her area of responsibility:
1. Monitor the development of law and doctrine.
2. Provide input to assist in analysis of relevant emerging legislation in line with protection and humanitarian principles, international law and standards.
3. Provide inputs to selected advocacy efforts of the operation.
4. Contribute to the preparation of legal advice and draft position papers.
5. Consistently apply international and national law and UNHCR policies and standards.
6. Liaise with relevant state authorities at central and local levels, partner NGOs and other relevant stakeholders.
7. Participate in meetings within UNHCR and with external counterparts at the relevant level.
8. Contribute to draft protection documents and policies in cooperation with supervisor.
9. Provide guidance and support in the formulation of protection strategies.
10. Assist in handling individual cases and situations raising special questions of application or interpretation of international law, refugee and human rights law.
11. Prepare protection documents and policies in cooperation with supervisor.
12. Participate in the development of project proposals and project implementation.
13. Assist in the preparation of legal advice and drafting of position papers and guidelines on pertinent legal and operational issues, most notably issues related to Jordanian corporate and labour law.
14. Contribute to advocacy towards proper interpretation of law and doctrine as well as in the development of standards of protection.
15. Consistently apply international and national law and UNHCR policies and standards.
16. Liaise and intervene with local authorities on the legal issues pertaining to persons of concern.
17. Assist in providing legal advice on all cases referred from all units of UNHCR, most notably RSD, RST and Registration.
18. Perform other related duties as required.
Education: Minimum completion of secondary education but preferably a university degree in Law, Political Science, Development Studies , Political Science, Social Welfare or related discipline.
Cross – Functional Competencies: Analytical Thinking; Planning and Organizing ; Policy Development and Research
Core Competencies: Accountability; Communication; Organizational Awareness; Teamwork & Collaboration; Commitment to Continuous Learning; Client & Result Orientation
Managerial Competencies: Judgement and Decision Making
Experience: Minimum – 2 (two) years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 1-year relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher. Experience working in a multi-cultural environment or international context is an asset.
Nationality: Citizen of Indonesia; non-citizen with Indonesian permanent residence.
Languages: Excellent knowledge of English and Bahasa Indonesia (written and oral) highly essential; knowledge of other UN languages is an asset.
Desirable Skills: Good written and oral communication skills; computer literacy; good knowledge of UNHCR’s protection mandate; interviewing skills; analytical skills; understanding of international humanitarian, ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
(i) Within UNHCR involving the exchange of wide range of information;
(ii) With external parties: local authorities, partners NGOs, and international organizations.
Candidates who wish to be considered for this vacancy should send their motivation letter, CV and signed Personal History/P.11 form (available at www.unhcr.org/recruit/p11new.doc), to UNHCR Indonesia at:
Menara Ravindo Lt. 14, Jl. Kebon Sirih Kav. 75, Jakarta 10340
Or via email to INSJAHR@unhcr.org
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: 25 September 2020
IMPORTANT: Candidates must indicate the post title and vacancy number on the envelope or subject of the email.
Applications from both genders and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Late applications will not be considered.
Only those short-listed for tests (written and interview) will be notified.
- Salary Offer IDR 264.405.000