Who We Are
International Justice Mission (IJM) is the global leader in protecting vulnerable people from violence around the world. Our global team of over 1,200 professionals are at work in 33 offices. Together, we are catalyzing a global revolution that will rescue millions, protect half a billion, and make justice unstoppable.
Motivated by God’s call to seek justice for the oppressed, we believe that the way we work is as important as the results we achieve. We are a global community that cares for one another. We value joy and celebration, and we strive to provide professional excellence to all those we serve.
After almost 25 years of continued growth and operational success in pioneering the work of protecting those who are experiencing poverty from violence, IJM has become a $100+ million organization. As IJM continues this trajectory of growth and scaling of its impact, with the Vision to protect 500 million people by the year 2030, IJM’s Indonesia Field Office is seeking a Lead, Communications and Media.
This position is based at Jakarta, Indonesia and reports to the Field Office Director, Indonesia.
Leadership and Strategy
- Lead in the development and maintenance of IJM’s profile and brand across traditional and digital media platforms that support development of key external relationships and program success in Indonesia and contribute to the overall success of IJM’s regional Forced Labor Slavery (FLS) program;
- Build relationships with key media contacts, identify opportunities to pitch IJM forced labor-related stories/contents, and serve as a key media contact for international or local media queries;
- In consultation with Indonesia office leadership and IJM global and FLS Hub communications staff, develop and execute a communications plan, including consistent creation of quality content, designed to strengthen IJM’s voice and to elevate IJM’s program visibility and the impact of program success;
- Liaise effectively with communications counterparts in other offices, the Regional Hub and IJM Global, providing timely support for global and regional initiatives and supporting field office communications;
- Provide technical capacity and act as the gatekeeper for FLS-related content requests;
- Utilize industry best practices and familiarity with the organization’s mission to inspire ideas and content;
- Facilitate orientation and training for staff and, as necessary, partners on communications, storytelling, messaging and media guidelines.
- Manage content development and platforms like Sharepoint, DAML, and Teams chatrooms to coordinate with relevant clients/stakeholders to deliver quality content such as but not limited to news/feature stories, press releases, videos, photos, advancement/media field visits, etc;
- Lead in the development and distribution of compelling stories and key messages to increase understanding of modern slavery and IJM’s theory of change and brand;
- Manage the production of compelling story packages (narratives and images) that can be shared on IJM’s website, social media, online & offline platforms;
- Develop story resources for public and internal uses by IJM Indonesia and Global and APAC Communications teams;
- Support development of compelling commentaries, press statements, op-ed articles, news features and other communication materials;
- Provide excellent and accurate translation support Bahasa Indonesia – English for urgent or technical projects unsuited to externally contracted translation;
- Ensure that IJM Indonesia’s social media accounts, fact sheets and other public resources reflect IJM’s brand, sensitivity to the Indonesia context and content accuracy about IJM’s work in Indonesia;
- Liaise with IJM Indonesia’s program staff and partners to identify story ideas.
Media and External Engagement
- Develop external and internal messaging guidelines that are clear, concise, honest, and consistent with IJM’s global communication strategy and guidelines;
- Support in creating, packaging, reviewing and delivering presentations to internal or external audiences;
- Ensure IJM Indonesia staff engaged in public speaking have access to adequate visual support for storytelling on global and/or local content databases;
- Develop media relations policies and internal processes;
- Build relationship with key media contacts to facilitate the right storytelling ensuring that the IJM brand story is told in a clear and compelling way.
Documentation & Reporting
- Monitor local media news related to human trafficking, migration and other related topics from print, broadcast and digital media; collate weekly, monthly, and quarterly media hits and mentions from media and other relevant agencies;
- Support preparation of reports and publications on IJM’s programs that build understanding of the impacts and importance of the work;
- Set metrics, analyze traditional media and digital media performance, develop insights and communicate results that contribute to the overall hub goals.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Marketing or a related field;
- Four years minimum experience as a professional copywriter (or marketer with strong copy emphasis), with significant experience creating marketing content, including direct response communications;
- Excellent command of English and proficiency in Bahasa Indonesia, both oral and written;
- Preferable experience in humanitarian environment;
- Experience coordinating or managing communications or storytelling projects;
- Experience working and networking with the media;
- Exceptional ability in writing, storytelling and copyediting;
- Photography and video clip shooting skills;
- Good grasp of media trends & new media – news site, websites, blogs, FB, Instagram and twitter;
- Portfolio of excellent published work that demonstrates expertise, creativity and ability to fit varying audiences;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, particularly Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Exceptional follow-through and accountability for results;
- Disciplined with priorities, excellent time management and ability to work effectively under deadline pressures; proven ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks with competing demands under tight deadlines;
- Self-motivated and able to work independently, as well as under supervision and as part of a team;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with proven ability to exercise sound judgement, take initiative and produce results;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, cross-cultural communication, and ability to establish and maintain and foster good working relations in a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural and multidisciplinary working environment;
- Flexible, enthusiastic, and willing to receive feedback and learn from others;
- Exceptionally high level of honesty and integrity;
- Professional presentation in demeanor, with excellent written and oral communication;
- Passionate commitment to and understanding of IJM’s mission, vision and values.
Interested applicants, please send your Cover Letter and CV/Resume in English to email@example.com not later than 30 June 2022.
Remarks: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.