Issue Date: 6 June 2018 Closing Date: 26 June 2018
Vacancy Notice No: WR/INO/18/12 – SSA
Title: Laboratory Officer (Malaria)
Duty Station: The Office of Sub-Directorate of Lymphatic Filariasis & Helminthiasis, Directorate of Vector Borne and Zoonotic Disease Control, Directorate General Diseases Prevention and Control, Ministry of Health – RI, Jl. Percetakan Negara No.29, Jakarta Pusat
Post No.: (GSM Position No) N/A
Organizational Location: WHO Country Office – Indonesia, Jakarta
Grade: Level C (SSA – technical function)
Duration: 8 months
Contract type: National Consultant (Special Service Agreement – SSA)
Annual salary: In accordance with WHO salary scale for Technical Function at C Level step 1
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME:
To ensure the high quality of malaria laboratory system in term of routine training, quality assurance of microscopy, confirmation of PCR for all plasmodium including P.knowlesi, and routine lot testing of RDT.
SUMMARY OF ASSIGNED DUTIES:
Under the direct supervision of Technical Officer – NTD, as well as in coordination/collaboration with the Sub-Directorate of Malaria, Ministry of Health, and other partners, and also broad guidance of the WHO Representative to Indonesia, the incumbent will work as follows:
- To map quality assurance situation of malaria diagnosis by microscope, PCR and RDT, and assist in collecting, updating malaria diagnosis routine data, situation analysis, preparation of project documents, facilitation and coordination of WHO and partners inputs into the program.
- To assist national programme in coordinating with other Directorates of MoH in improving the quality of laboratory services, quality planning and implementing training activities; preparation of progress report for Global Fund funded project and other donors funded project;
- To provide technical support to the improvement of implementation of quality malaria diagnosis pre-service and post-service training system including curriculum and certification, in collaboration with clinical pathology and medical laboratory (PDS PatKLin), clinical parasitology (PDS PARK), Diploma of Medical Laboratory Technologist, PPSDM, PATELKI and other potential agencies.
- To support in updating national guidelines on quality assurance microscopy in all malaria endemic stratum and RDT as per WHO guidelines/recommendations, as well as facilitate WHO External Competency and national competency of microscopist.
- To provide technical support in establishment of malaria center for PCR laboratory in Indonesia that covers P.knowlesi confirmation with high quality standard of diagnosis method, and the establishment of laboratory center for routine lot testing of RDT and developing referral bank slides in Indonesia, in collaboration with other Directorate of MoH and other acknowledged laboratories in Indonesia.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by WR and Technical Officer (TO) MAL and VBDC.
Expected Result and Reporting
- Collaborate with technical colleagues at central level to ensure timely, efficient, rigorous, and transparent works on malaria programme
- Contribute to the preparation of relevant sections on the World Malaria Report
- In collaboration with Malaria Programme in WHO Country Office and Government Authorities, to maintain sound internal controls, supportive of specific malaria interventions, especially on laboratory and diagnosis area as well as to ensure accountability
- The selected candidate should also complete and submit transparent and timely achievement report at the end of the contract period to WHO Country Office.
EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, ETC.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Producing results
- Moving forward in a changing environment
- Knowing and managing Yourself
Functional Knowledge and Skills:
Familiarity with MOH surveillance, recording, and reporting system would be an asset
Essential: First level university degree in a health-related subject
Desirable: Advanced degree in Biomedical/Microbiology or related clinical/chemical laboratory technician with training in lab/health facility management.
Essential: At least five years’ experience in health laboratory program implementation preferably in malaria at district or province or national level.
Desirable: Experience in malaria laboratory system; ability to deliver public health training, using techniques of mentoring and on-the-job training; management/supervision of laboratory of malaria program at the district or province and national level.
Languages: Written and oral fluency in English and native language skills in Bahasa Indonesia
Other Skills (e.g. IT): Work is performed in normal working environment; Computer literacy: working knowledge on Ms. Word, Ms. Excel and Ms. Power Point
LATE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED