The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations. Its corporate objective is to improve people’s living conditions on a sustainable basis. GIZ has been working in Indonesia since 1975 on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
The regional programme ‘”Clean, Affordable and Secure Energy for South East Asia” (CASE) has been commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, and Nuclear Safety (BMU) in April 2020, with an implementation period until February 2024.
The programme aims to drive change in the power sector in South East Asia (SEA) towards increased ambitions with regards to climate change. It focuses on the four main SEA countries (Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam) in terms of energy demand and also foresees regional interventions. Composed of a wide range of organisations and driven by strong regional cohesion and network, CASE will propose evidence-based solutions to the challenges met by decision makers and build societal support around those solutions. CASE will directly contribute to the transition of the power sector towards an innovative, economically successful and environmentally friendly model for SEA.
Overall, the CASE programme consists of five components:
- Output 1: Sustainable Energy related research
- Output 2: Transparency and stakeholder mapping
- Output 3: Stakeholder dialogue and action
- Output 4: Technical assistance to strengthen energy stakeholder capacities
- Output 5: Sustainable energy communication across public
As a regional programme, CASE is implemented through a consortium consisting of GIZ through its representation in four countries, four national civil society organisations (one each in all four countries), and two international consortium partners in the field of energy and climate.
In Indonesia, the CASE programme is implemented through GIZ Indonesia, together with the Institute of Essential Service Reform (IESR) and supported by the international consortium partners. The political partner for Indonesia is the National Planning Ministry (Bappenas).
The main responsibility of the Junior Energy Transition Advisor shall include, but not limited to, the following areas:
- Support the Project Manager and his/her deputy in project management and coordination tasks
- Collect data provide inputs to the regional knowledge platform and stakeholder database under output 2 of the programme, working closely with the regional team
- Support the CASE Advisors in implementing CASE Indonesia activities across all outputs, with a focus on output 1, 3 and 4
- Share knowledge and expertise in energy and climate related tasks, stay abreast of ongoing discussion in energy field in Indonesia, conduct research independently or in support to advisors, and share updates and insights to internal GIZ policy groups
- Support Advisors in the communication with the project political partner the Ministry of National Development Planning, other consortium institutions, important CASE stakeholders in Indonesia as well as other related GIZ projects
- Support event preparation and facilitation through contracting, event organizer liaison, preparation and collection of event materials
- Support Reporting and documentation of project results by collecting inputs from team members, and by reviewing other documents concerning the progress of collaborative programs to the Program manager/ teams
- Technical Support in Activity Implementation
- Support Project Manager and Advisors to oversee, monitor, and evaluate the implementation of relevant activities
- Support advisors in the conceptualization and implementation of capacity development measures such as training, seminar and other events related to energy
- Support research studies and development of policy papers and reports by conducting research and providing reviews, as well as reviewing reports and documents prepared by advisors or consultants
- Support advisors to conduct a gap analysis and training needs assessment of energy stakeholders with a view towards increasing their understanding of the energy transition
- Support Advisors in developing Terms of References (ToR) and contract documents for external consultants, and in the communication and management of consultants
- Knowledge & information management and stakeholder outreach
- Assist in data collection and analysis, on topics related to clean energy finance, long-term energy planning, energy sector mitigation options, and other topics
- Support input collection and updating of the continuous stakeholder mapping for the energy sector in Indonesia that will feed into an online stakeholder and activity mapping database
- Coordinate and support CASE team members to collect and provide inputs on the energy sector in Indonesia to the regional knowledge platform
- Facilitate exchange and support CASE team in identifying potential cooperation with consortium partners, other GIZ projects, and government partners on the utilization of data and information of related activities.
- Stay on top of recent energy and climate related discussions in Indonesia, monitor media reports,
- Collect, process and distribute relevant information and summarize inputs for the use for the CASE team or any GIZ internal policy groups
- Provide inputs and research for advisors to prepare reports, presentations, policy briefs, internal discussions, etc. to disseminate knowledge about the sustainable energy transition and the CASE programme
- independently prepare or support the team in the preparation of presentation materials such as brochures, fact sheets, Meeting documents, power-point presentations, on ET-related activities.
- Support the Project Manager and Advisors to develop the concept, maintain contacts, and foster dialogue with key national stakeholders such as consortium partners, Indonesian ministries, private sector, Associations, Media, other donors.
- Contribute to the documentation of experience from activities (challenges and best practices).
- Project coordination and event support
- Support project management including providing inputs to annual operational planning in close consultation with project partners and/or implementing agencies
- Support preparation of regular consortium team meetings on regional level, as well as country steering meetings on national level
- Support event organisations for activities (policy dialogues, trainings, project internal workshops, etc) through contracting, liaising with organizers and partners, and developing event materials
- Contribute to project planning, monitoring, and fulfilling the CASE program documentation, in cooperation with other advisors.
- Support project reporting and monitoring
- Provide documentation of activities in particular the policy dialogue and lessons learned from key-related stakeholders in Indonesia and abroad.
- Draft meeting minutes and prepare event documentation
- Other duties/additional tasks
- Perform other duties and tasks at the request of the superior
- Contribute actively to a good working climate and team working within the project, the consortium and across the GIZ energy programme
- Share proactively information about the project with other relevant projects (such as the Renewable Energy for Electrification Programme – REEP), seek synergies across activities, and follow a cooperative approach across the larger energy programme
- Bachelor/Masters (B/MSc; B/MA) in energy, climate, sustainable development, environment, energy finance/economics, or any area that is related to the project objectives
- at least 1 (one) year professional experience in/with and/or providing technical assistance to governmental and/or regional/ international implementing organizations in the field of sustainable energy / climate change mitigation / clean energy finance
- at least 1 (one) year professional experience in sustainable energy related policy making and/or stakeholder consultation processes
- previous experience in working in international teams and preparing capacity development measures (trainings, dialogues, etc.) is an asset;
- excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills and ability to liaise and communicate effectively with governments
- Prior experience in the clean energy and climate-related sector in Indonesia is an advantage.
- Very good communication skills with national stakeholders and experience in working in an international organization.
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Good working knowledge about sustainable energy including the global discourse about the energy transition, overview of various energy technologies, as well as climate and energy policy making processes
- very good knowledge of ICT technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office)
- excellent written and oral knowledge of Bahasa Indonesia and English
- working knowledge of German is an asset
- willingness to up skill as required by the tasks to be performed –corresponding measures are agreed with management
- Focused and proactive working attitude.
- strong organisational competence with good communication and coordination skills
- Willingness to travel (abroad) when required
- Availability to follow the code of conduct of the organization.
Duty Station: Jakarta
Joining Date: a.s.a.p. (preferred 1 October)
Direct Supervisor: Project Manager, CASE Indonesia
How to Apply
Please submit your motivation letter and comprehensive resume (including training and list of references) to email@example.com by September 15th, 2021 with subject line CASE – JETA
Please name your file as follow format:
[Your Complete Name]_[Motivation Letter/CV/Latest Education Certificate] (i.e: Nakula Sadewa_CV or Nakula Sadewa_Motivation Letter or Nakula Sadewa_Reference)
Only short-listed candidates will be notified.