The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a German implementing organization which provides services worldwide in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development. GIZ has a record of more than 50 years of cooperation with the Association of the South East Nations (ASEAN).
GIZ in cooperation with the ASEAN Secretariat is currently implementing the project “Climate Smart Land Use in ASEAN” (CSLU). The objective of this project is to strengthen ASEAN in its role as coordinator of efforts contributing to international and national climate policy processes in the sphere of climate-friendly and climate-resilient land use in the agriculture and forestry sector. Three interacting outputs have been defined for achieving the module objective.
The aim of Output A is to pinpoint the correlations between agriculture and forestry in land use and stress their importance for climate protection and adaptation to climate change. In Output B, the module will assist ASEAN to play a mediating role between international and national climate-policy processes. The activities in Output C will aim at enhancing synergies among the sectoral ASEAN working groups dealing with issues of climate change.
- Assists the team leader and other experts for whom the junior advisor performs technical tasks
- Supports in coordinating project activities
- Supports in carrying out specific research tasks which are required for planning the implementation of the project
- Supports in carrying out specific tasks in connection with knowledge management for the project
- Assists the team leader in carrying out project activities
- Professional advisory services
- In consultation with the team leader or expert, provides technical input for strategic approaches for promoting climate smart land use in ASEAN considering both, climate change adaptation and mitigation
- Supports with the design, preparation, implementation and documentation of capacity development, peer exchange and other learning and dialogue activities such as workshops, seminars etc.
- Supports developing knowledge products and case studies on climate-smart land use
- Contributes to preparing and implementing the coordination and cooperation mechanisms and joint project activities with key stakeholders
- Keeps up-to date with developments in the field of climate-smart land-use as well as climate policy (i.e. the UNFCCC climate negotiations) and makes relevant information/ knowledge available to partners in an appropriate format
- Supports implementation and maintaining communication and knowledge management tools and platforms
- Assists in preparing job descriptions and terms of reference and supports the team leader/advisors in supervising third parties in the course of carrying out project activities, including performance evaluation
- Supports aligning the services provided by the project with the partner’s needs
- Networking, cooperation and communication
- Supports cooperation, regular contact and dialogue with partners in ASEAN and its Member States, implementation partners and other important stakeholders
- Supports PR work to enhance visibility of ASEAN’s engagement in climate policy and climate-smart land-use as well as the project and its results
- Cooperates with local communities, relevant organisations, non-governmental agencies and individuals in the project environment and with other projects to improve and maintain good working relationships
- Knowledge management
- Draws up reports and presentation documents
- Supports dissemination of knowledge products, information materials and other sources of knowledge
- Supports developing strategies and technical concepts, including guidelines, manuals and procedures
- Assists with research activities and studies on political issues which benefit joint programmes
- Management and coordination tasks
- Contributes to project planning and supports documenting processes and results
- Supports coordination of relevant project activities with the partners
- Assists in monitoring of the project progress, the activities and the budget, drafts report and documents on the progress
- Compiles the relevant information for joint activities and assignments
- Contributes to developing and organising quality assurance measures and suggests necessary changes, improvements and initiatives
- Other duties/additional tasks
- Performs other duties and tasks at the request of management
- University degree (Bachelor, Master or equivalent) in a relevant discipline, ideally agriculture, forestry, environmental management/ science or related areas
Work experience and knowledge
- Initial experience in any of the following disciplines: agriculture, forestry, climate change
- Initial experience in developing and implementing capacity development and dialogue formats, ideally in a regional or international context
- Experience in supporting/undertaking research on climate-smart land-use
- Experience in working with ASEAN bodies or member states is of high advantage
- Excellent command of both spoken and written English
- Good knowledge of an ASEAN language and/ or German skills is of advantage
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- High sensitivity in dealing with political and administrative stakeholders, combined with the ability to assess various stakeholders, bundle their interests and establish corresponding networks
- Flexibility, reliability, efficiency, intercultural competence, personal resilience and the ability to cope with stressful situations
Duty Station: Jakarta
Joining Date: a.s.a.p.
Direct Supervisor: Principal Advisor of Climate Smart Land Use project
An extension of the contract period might be possible in alignment with a potential extension of the project duration.
How to Apply
Please submit your motivation letter and comprehensive resume (including latest photograph and list of references) to email@example.com by 25 February 2021 with subject line CSLU – Junior Advisor.
Please name your file as follow format:
[Your Complete Name]_[Motivation Letter/CV/Latest Education Certificate] (i.e: Nakula Sadewa_CV or Nakula Sadewa _Motivation Letter or Nakula Sadewa _Reference)
Only short-listed candidates will be notified