The Forests and Climate Change Program (FORCLIME) supports the Government of Indonesia in its endeavour to mitigate the effects of climate change through forestry sector reform, capacity development and implementation of best management practices for sustainable forest management and biodiversity conservation. Field-based activities are being supported in selected districts of the provinces of Papua, West Papua and Central Sulawesi to Reduce Emissions from Deforestation and Degradation (“REDD” activities) and develop a forest-based bioeconomy. FORCLIME is funded by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and implemented by GIZ (German International Cooperation) with the Indonesian Ministry of Forestry as the Program Executing Agency.
The Programme’s overall objective is to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from the forest sector while improving the livelihoods of Indonesia’s poor rural communities in Eastern Indonesia. To achieve this goal, the Programme team assists the Indonesian Government and provincial authorities in designing and implementing legal, policy and institutional reforms for the conservation and sustainable management of forests, at local, provincial and national level. Support for the local implementation of international forest policy mechanisms, including REDD+ under the Climate Change Convention and the Access, Benefit Sharing Mechanism (ABS) and Indigenous Community Conserve Area (ICCA) set out under the Convention on Biological Diversity is an essential feature of the programme, and is resulting in decision-makers with experience of how international concepts can be implemented on the ground.
We seek a qualified Indonesian candidate for: Junior Advisor for Social Forestry and Sustainable Forest Management.
The Junior Advisor on Social Forestry and Sustainable Forest Management contributes to the overall objectives of the FORCLIME Programme 4.0 in Lore Lindu Biosphere Reserve, Central Sulawesi. In this context, he/she will engage in promoting, facilitating, and administering social forestry development and sustainable forest management (SFM) processes, practices and implementations in the jurisdiction of Lore Lindu Biosphere Reserve within forest management unit and national park in Lore Lindu Biosphere Reserve, and feed information from the field to the office and province level discussions to foster appropriate forest administration reform in the region. This position is based in Palu, Central Sulawesi and focuses on implementation in the field, district and province levels.
The responsibilities include:
- Support the implementation of activities to the achievement of programme objectives under FORCLIME strategic area 4 that relates to strategic area 1 “Policy Framework”, strategic area 2 “FMU development” and strategic area 3 “Human Capacity Development (HCD)”
- Support good collaboration with Provincial Forest Service, Forest Management Unit (FMU), National Park and Forest Programme III Sulawesi on innovative capacity development and facilitation of social forestry development and sustainable forest management.
- Conduct weekly and monthly basis monitoring on the status of Annual Working Plan implementation, identify problems or process dynamic, if any, and provide written progress report on that to the senior advisor.
- Support the senior advisor on his/her daily or weekly agendas, whatever appropriate or needed.
- Support the senior advisor in administering project implementation documents and reports, including the link to administrative tasks.
- Supports the office in coordination of TC related activities with FMUs and related projects and government sectors at district and provincial levels.
- Write activity report sheet, monthly report and contribute regularly to FORCLIME Newsletter and contribute to Information and Knowledge Management.
- Contributes to the planning process of FORCLIME strategic area 4.
- Update and manage LLBR website.
1. Social Forestry, Customary Forest and SFM
- Contribute to the preparation and implementation of project activities in line with strategic and annual working plan.
- Supports participatory forestry planning and capacity building processes involving local communities for social forestry schemes, including conservation partnership, customary forest or Indigenous and community conserved areas (ICCAs), village forest and whatever appropriate.
- Arrange and summarize facilitation processes on social forestry and customary forest issues in FMU and national park.
- Support Identification of needs for capacity development at FMU and community organization in social forestry and eco-tourism.
- Support workshops, training activities or seminars related to social forestry and sustainable development in the framework of FORCLIME’s activities in Central Sulawesi.
- Undertakes frequent field visits to the selected villages to ensure activities are proceeding as planned.
- Support arrangement of regular meeting of Lore Lindu Biosphere Reserve Management Forum
- Support the biosphere management forum secretariate operationalization.
2. Knowledge Management, Communication and Net working
- Support TC related activities to social forestry development, biodiversity conservation and sustainable forest management in Lore Lindu Biosphere Reserve.
- Support monitoring of consultants, services contract, cooperation agreement, grantees and interns.
- Compiles and documents information about ongoing initiatives relevant for his/her tasks in Central Sulawesi and ensures knowledge transfer to the other team members of FORCLIME.
- Prepare reports, guidelines, manuals, presentation materials and material to be placed at the FORCLIME and LLBR websites.
- Develop draft project planning, including preparation, organization and moderation of planning exercises in FORCLIME Central Sulawesi Team.
- Support monitoring and evaluation and to regular progress reports.
3. Other duties/additional tasks
- Supports the provision of logistics for FORCLIME staff and visitors for Central Sulawesi activities;
- Support development advisors in their tasks, once apply.
- Accompanies and guides visitors in connection with field trips
- Provides support to organizational and management matters
- Assisting in task concerning administration and finance management
- Regularly communicates with the component manager and other team members, and participates in regular team meetings
- Participates in regular and extensive field visits to the FORCLIME intervention areas
- Performs other duties and tasks at the request of management
- University degree in forestry or relevant fields on sustainable forest resources management, forest management unit development and operationalization, biodiversity conservation and protected area management.
- Good knowledge on Lore Lindu landscape, biosphere reserve and its main stakeholders
- Good knowledge and skills in Geographic Information System (GIS), preferably ArcGIS 10.8.
- Good knowledge and have experience in social forestry development and community empowerment.
- Good speaking and writing in English
- Able to work independently and with limited resources and support.
- Experience in website management.
- At least 2 years professional experience in a comparable position
- Have experiences in working with or facilitating social forestry development, customary forest management and conservation partnership.
- Have knowledge of forest policy.
- Have experience in multistakeholder forum dynamic and management.
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Have good local knowledge on Lore Lindu landscape and Central Sulawesi
- Capable in developing Term of Reference (ToR), managing and administering activities.
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management
- Have good and active English
- Good facilitation skills
- Good communication skills
- Willingness to travel regularly
Duty Station: Palu, Central Sulawesi
Joining Date: a.s.a.p.
Direct Supervisor: Senior Advisor for Biodiversity Focal Point for the KfW – Forest Program 3 and Provincial Coordinator Central Sulawesi
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a motivation letter, CV, trainings attended and list of references (a must), addressed to email@example.com. The closing date to submit the application letter is on March 23rd, 2023.
Please indicate your application by putting the following code in the subject line: FORCLIME – JA SFSFM
Please name your file as follow format:
[Your Complete Name]_[Motivation Letter/CV/Latest Education Certificate] (i.e: Nakula Sadewa _CV or Nakula Sadewa _Motivation Letter or Nakula Sadewa _Reference)
Only short-listed candidates will be notified.