The German Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations on behalf of the German Government.
The Sustainable Agricultural Supply Chains in Indonesia (SASCI) project, in collaboration with its main government partner, Ministry of Agriculture (specifically the Directorate General of Estate Crops) supports the Government of Indonesia in its efforts to reduce GHG emissions from deforestation and forest degradation by promoting sustainable supply chains for selected agricultural commodities (primarily natural rubber and palm oil) by smallholder farmers in Kapuas Hulu district, West Kalimantan. The implementation agreement between the Indonesian and German Governments was signed in July 2019. With the project aiming for a jurisdictional approach, the project objective “Establishment of deforestation-free agricultural supply chains for renewable commodities with global markets“ shall ensure that legally protected forest ecosystems in Kapuas Hulu district in West Kalimantan province (the „jurisdiction“) are not negatively affected in quality (degradation) or quantity (deforestation) by the production of selected agricultural commodities, predominantly natural rubber and palm oil. Kapuas Hulu is known as a conservation district, part of the ‘Heart of Borneo’ and considered a pioneer in the forest governance sector. With the consistency of the local government in maintaining its natural ecosystem, in 2018 Kapuas Hulu district was designated as a MAB UNESCO biosphere reserve, with the name “Betung Kerihun Danau Sentarum Biosphere Reserve, Kapuas Hulu”.
The project comprises four main outputs: (1) Strengthening the capacity of smallholder farmers for sustainable production of palm oil and other agricultural commodities; (2) Increasing the capacity of government organisations, civil society actors and the private sector for sustainable agricultural commodity supply chain implementation, including conflict-resolution mechanisms; (3) Strengthening national initiatives for implementation of sustainable agricultural commodity supply chains; (4) Smallholder farmers in Kapuas Hulu district, West Kalimantan have access to global markets.
To support project implementation and to develop the capacity of local universities, GIZ SASCI in collaboration with Tanjungpura University (UNTAN) in Pontianak will jointly start The Internship Student Program for selected students who meet with specific criteria. The students will get the opportunity to learn and gain experience at the SASCI project area. Selected students will work together with a SASCI advisor as the mentor for a period of six months. This internship program has been developed and is in line with the approach that is currently being developed, namely “Kampus Merdeka”, which gives universities the freedom to develop learning areas outside of campus. This internship student program is a specific cooperation between SASCI and Tanjungpura University, Pontianak.
SASCI seeks four (4) qualified Indonesian students from the local university in West Kalimantan (Tanjungpura University, Pontianak) with the following positions:
- Intern for Agroforestry, Development of Green (sustainable) Commodities and Global Market Potential
- Intern for Farmer Organisation for Independent Oil Palm Sector
- Intern for Farmer Organisation in The Rubber Sector
- Intern for Strategy and Framework for The Multi-stakeholder Forum for Sustainable Plantation Development
Support the SASCI project on the specific topic area of:
- Agroforestry, Development of green (sustainable) Commodities and Global Market Potential
- Farmer Organisation for Independent Oil Palm Sector
- Farmer Organisation in The Rubber Sector
- Strategy and Framework for The Multi-stakeholder Forum for Sustainable Plantation Development in West Kalimantan.
- Assist the SASCI project in implementing activities on the topic area of Agroforestry; Development of Green (sustainable) Commodities and Global Market Potential; Farmer Organisation for independent Oil Palm Sector; Farmer Organisation in the Rubber Sector; Strategy and Framework for The Multi-stakeholder Forum for Sustainable Plantation Development in West Kalimantan
- Support the training/workshop/FGD for smallholder
- Support the training/workshop/meeting for local counterpart
- Collecting data and photos from field activities
- Support the development of rubber, palm oil and green commodity database
- Support the knowledge sharing and publication
- Registered and active student of Tanjungpura University, starting from Semester V
- Basic knowledge of agriculture and/ or forestry
- Good conceptual, inter-personal and communication
- Strong interest to work in the field of sustainable agricultural supply chains.
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Good communication skills,
- Intercultural understanding is additional advantages,
- Good command of Ms. Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word),
- Basic English skill is preferably,
- Knowledge and skills about digitalization and multimedia
- Ability to work in a team and to adapt to an international working environment
- Student from Kapuas Hulu is preferably
Duty Station: Kapuas Hulu and Pontianak, West Kalimantan
Joining Date: as soon as possible
Period of Contract: 6 months
Direct Supervisor: Related topic area Advisor
How to Apply
Interested candidates shall submit comprehensive resume and a motivation letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org before August 10th, 2021
Please put: INTERN – WEST KALIMANTAN as your email subject and name the files using following format: [Your Complete Name]_[Motivation Letter/CV] (i.e: Nakula Sadewa _CV or Nakula Sadewa _Motivation Letter or Nakula Sadewa _Reference)
Only short-listed candidates will be notified