UCLG ASPAC is the largest regional section of United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG), an amalgamation of International Union of Local Authorities (IULA), United Towns Organization (UTO), and World Association of the Major Metropolises (METROPOLIS) set up in Ghent (Belgium) in 1913, in Aix-les- Bains (France) in 1957 and in Paris (France) in 1985, respectively. UCLG was established on 1 January 2004 and is headquartered in Barcelona, Spain. Following this unification, UCLG ASPAC was established in Taipei on 14 April 2004, as the new entity of IULA ASPAC. UCLG ASPAC’s Secretariat is based in Jakarta, Indonesia.
UCLG is a worldwide association of local governments and the officially recognized voice of local governments by the United Nations. UCLG ASPAC has linkages to more than 7,000 cities and local governments. It represents well over 3.76 billion people – more than half of the world population – and incorporates economically fast developing countries such as China, India, and Indonesia.
UCLG ASPAC is the key knowledge management hub on local government issues in the Asia-Pacific region. It promotes democratic local government, supports cooperation between cities, local governments and their associations, and facilitates programme, network and partnerships to develop the capacity of local governments and the associations. Moreover, UCLG ASPAC represents local governments politically within the international community, and with the United Nations and its agencies. It also promotes inclusive societies which safeguard equality, social and economic justice, and sustainable development. UCLG ASPAC is engaged in all relevant thematic fields for nurturing sustainable development comprising local economic development, climate change, disaster resiliency, culture, strategic planning, decentralization, municipal finance, gender equality, women leadership and empowerment and good governance.
AMF facilitates the cooperation amongst cities and local governments at ASEAN level. It has received an accreditation from ASEAN and is the only network of local governments affiliated with ASEAN. United Cities and Local Governments Asia Pacific (UCLG ASPAC) is the association of cities and local governments in Asia-Pacific. It is the largest regional section of UCLG, and links with more than 10,000 cities and local governments. UCLG ASPAC has more than 24 national association of local governments that are available in the region. With that wide network, UCLG ASPAC serves as the ASEAN Mayors Forum’s Secretariat.
The main objective of the Internship Programme is to provide professional exposure to students or freshgraduates through involvement in the programmes and activities of AMF. The Interns also will be able to develop expertise in the application of theory from their background to the practical issue of local governance and other relevant thematic works of UCLG ASPAC and to increase knowledge and experience in dealing with city and local government cooperation and coherence in the Southeast Asia region. It is expected that the Interns can obtain in- depth knowledge of the AMF Secretariat functional activities and the issue of local governance asthe result of the internship period.
The candidate must:
- Be at least in the 6th semester of his/her undergraduate programme or postgraduate programme in the fields of development, urban/regional planning, business administration, public administration, international relations, environmental, English department, computer science and/or related
- Have a minimum GPA of 0 (out of 4.0)
- Possess excellent English Speaking and writing skills
- Have an analytical, data-driven, detailed mindset
- Have experience in either of these softwares:
- Canva/Adobe InDesign
- Social Media
Assignments and expected outputs
The duration of the alumni internship programme is three (3) months. Under direct supervision of the AMF Secretariat, the intern is expected to perform the following tasks:
Task Output (Roles and Responsibilities):
- MONITORING AND EVALUATION FRAMEWORK TOOLS
- Be able to compile information into Country Profile
- Be able to do research on ASEAN Countries Best Practices
- ADMINISTRATIVE WORK SUPPORT:
- preparation of letters and invitations, and translation
- COMUNICATION AND OUTREACH:
- Familiar with the use of Social Media, Video, Digitalisation and Design, and E-News production
- AMF EVENTS SUPPORT:
- preparation of AMF orientation training modules for internal and external stakeholders, hosting of events, zooms application
- Familiar in producing the MoM (Minutes of Meeting), and note-taker
At the end of the internship, the following outputs are expected:
- A final report detailing the intern’s experience and the works
- A report detailing the outcomes of the various seminars, workshops or conferences attended (where applicable).
Completion of Internship
Upon completion of internship and a satisfactory conclusion, the Interns will receive a Certificate of Service signed by Secretary General.
How to apply
Kindly send your motivation letter and CV to email@example.com, copy to : firstname.lastname@example.org, and register your profile to : http://recruitment.uclg-aspac.org/apps. By 26 September 2022, 10.00 AM Jakarta time the latest.