Individual Consultant: Evaluation of the Efficiency of the Innovation and Knowledge Hub for MADANI Civil Society Partners
MADANI Civil Society Support Initiative is a five-year USAID-funded project implemented by FHI 360, a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, local-driven solutions. MADANI aims to strengthen local government accountability and communal tolerance in Indonesia by improving and sustaining local civil society’s capacity, legitimacy, and sustainability in 32 districts in the provinces of Banten, West Java, Central Java, East Java, West Kalimantan and South Sulawesi. MADANI provides financial support and technical assistance directly to 32 targeted subnational civil society organizations (CSOs) that the project calls Lead Partners, to improve their operational capacities and systems, build stronger ties with communities and local governments, and support an improved environment and more sustainable means of mobilizing financial resources, including from the government and private sector.
To assist CSOs, MADANI developed a web- and Android application (henceforth known as an Innovation and Knowledge Hub (iHub or SimpulMadani in Indonesian, available at https://simpulmadani.com/. The iHub was designed to enable CSO staff to access and download open-source resources that could help build organizational capacities and competencies, and ultimately, qualify them to participate in a CSO performance rating system that will connect to a local philanthropic and social investment marketplace seeking to support credible and accountable social impact organizations. Online capacity development resources include gamified capacity assessments and training modules, tip sheets, simple reading materials and performance data, a directory of technical assistance with source from Service Providers and 32LPs that , interactive question and answer sessions, and a chat function.
MADANI is currently looking for an individual Consultant to conduct a rapid capacity evaluation to qualitatively assess how the IHub is influencing Lead Partner’s and other registered-CSO capacity, advocacy and networking in project districts across Indonesia. and assess their satisfaction and the extent to which they feel it has contributed to increased perceived in efficiency in how they perform their business (internally and externally). The study will contribute to MADANI performance indicator “Percentage of lead partner CSOs surveyed reporting the perception of increased CSO efficiency attributable to iHub Model”. and may include detailed interviews with the Lead Partner leadership and staff, observations of staff task performance, staff focus group discussions, or any other methods proposed by the Consultant that are deemed relevant and value-adding in collaboration with the MADANI team.
Detail Description of Task to be Performed:
Under the direction and supervision of the MEL and Technical Teams, the assistance to be provided by the consultant will include:
- Desk review: Lead Partner annual work plans and the result of the Year 1 and Year 2 Organizational Performance Index of 24 Lead Partners, and other relevant documents as relevant.
- Evaluation Design: Contribute with MADANI staff to a valid and defensible methodology to answer the questions above and be able to highlight key lessons learned and best practices. The Consultant must submit written explanation of their proposed approach to engagement with Lead Partners, provide draft data collection tools/instruments, and outline data management techniques to be used. MADANI will review and approve prior to data collection and analysis.
- Data Collection and Analysis: The Consultant with final evaluation design can begin the rapid evaluation. MADANI will support, as needed, meetings with Lead Partners. Once all data are collected, the Consultant will analyze the findings in coordination with MADANI.
- Presentation of Initial Results: The Consultant will develop a summary of the key findings and present before the MADANI team.
- Final Report: A report (format/structure to be provided by MADANI) will be developed by the Consultant.
It is expected that the study will be carried out over a period of 20 days during October-November 2021.
Qualification and Experience
FHI360/MADANI is looking for a consultant with proven academic and professional track record in conducting evaluations on organizational development, civil society, and local governance issues in Indonesia. Prospective consultants should demonstrate the following qualifications:
- An advanced university degree in social sciences from a recognized university, majoring in Sociology, Public Policy, Anthropology, Political Science; or related disciplinary
- At least five years of relevant professional work or research experience in the areas of organizational development, civil society empowerment and assessment
- Extensive knowledge of civil society organizations and actors, including at the local level;
- Strong presentation and writing skills in English and Indonesian;
The report should be written in English.
How to Apply:
Applications should include past experience working in organizational development, civil society, detailed CV and proposed daily rate, be marked “Rapid Evaluation of iHub Impact” and be submitted via e-mail to Procurement-Madani@fhi360.org no later than Thursday September 23, 2021 at 17:00 WIB (Jakarta time).
Short-listed candidates may be invited via mail/phone for interview.