UCLG ASPAC is the largest regional section of United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG), and amalgamation of International Union of Local Authorities (IULA), United Towns Organization (UTO), and World Association of the Major Metropolises (METROPOLIS). UCLG was established on 1 January 2004 and is headquartered in Barcelona, Spain. Following this unification, UCLG ASPAC was established in Taipei on 14 April 2004, as the new entity of IULA ASPAC. UCLG ASPAC’s Secretariat is based in Jakarta, Indonesia and hosted by the Provincial Government of Jakarta.
UCLG is a worldwide association of local governments and the officially recognized voice of local governments by the United Nations. UCLG ASPAC has linkages to more than 7,000 cities and local governments. It represents well over 3.76 billion people – more than half of the world population – and incorporates economically fast developing countries such as China, India, and Indonesia.
UCLG ASPAC is the key knowledge management hub on local government issues in the Asia-Pacific region. It promotes democratic local government, supports cooperation between cities, local governments and their associations, and facilitates programs, network and partnerships to develop the capacity of local governments and the associations. Moreover, UCLG ASPAC represents local governments politically within the international community, and with the United Nations and its agencies. It also promotes inclusive societies which safeguard equally, social and economic justice, and sustainable development. UCLG ASPAC is engaged in all relevant thematic fields for nurturing sustainable develop0ment comprising local economic development, climate change, disaster resiliency, culture, strategic planning, decentralization, municipal finance, gender equality, women leadership and empowerment and good governance.
The Climate Resilience Inclusive Cities (CRIC) Project is a five years Project co-funded by the European Union. UCLG ASPAC is the lead implementing agency of CRIC which is carried out in partnership with Pilot4Dev, ACR+, ECOLISE, University of Gustave Eiffel, and All India Institute of Local Governments from South Asia.
- Master degree or higher preferably in environment, urban development, climate and resilience management, sustainable development, public policy, social and political science, and/or other related fields.
- Has at least five (5) years of professional experience in the specific issue of climate resilience implementation, government relations, public policy and advocacy;
- A minimum of five (5) years of professional experience in working closely with the local governments, that include facilitating discussion and/or providing technical assistance to local governments;
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of the latest research and evidence-base on issues of climate mitigation, adaptation and resilience in particular sectors and the integration process to the development planning and relevant policies;
- Must possess strong skills in research method, analysis, reporting, communication/ presentation, facilitation method and report drafting skills;
- Having ability to analyze and interpret data and information;
- Demonstrate work experience and proven record in advocacy and policy making environment, social campaign, and strategic management;
- Demonstrated experience in carrying out similar assignments in relation to policy lobbying and advocacy to city government and networks at different levels; planning and strategy development for advocacy engagements;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; excellent coordination and partnership skills;
- Strong cultural awareness and sensitivity to inclusive issue;
- Experienced in research and report writing in English, and strong abilities to write in a clear and accesible manner;
- Excellent diplomatic and team development skills, combined with an ability to success in a complex environment;
- Experience in policy advocacy and campaigning, partidularly within the context of climate mitigation, adaptation and resilience;
- Ability to work efficiently and deliver at pace accross a range of short-term key deliverables and longer term strategic outputs within agreed timelines and deadlines;
- Proficiency in MS Office
- Familiar with GIS application
How to Apply
Please send your CV and Cover Letter to email@example.com along with activity proposal and indicative timeline by 28 February 2021. Only selected candidates will be contacted.