The ICRC Regional Delegation for Jakarta and Timor-Leste seeks to fill the following position:
Humanitarian Affairs Adviser for ASEAN
(Resident Position, Jakarta-based)
The Humanitarian Affairs Adviser provides supports to the delegation in understanding the context and influencing the wider political, humanitarian and religious environment in the given context. S/he helps shape its engagement with actors of influence in both bilateral and multilateral/regional fora. S/he also coordinates with Regional Humanitarian Affairs Adviser to follow up on files/activities related to the humanitarian diplomacy with Indonesian authorities as well as ASEAN and relevant entities. Moreover, s/he contributes to representing the ICRC externally with these audiences and building the necessary understanding and acceptance of and support for the ICRC among key stakeholders.
ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supports and advises the delegation in achieving policy and humanitarian diplomacy objectives and defining internal and external needs and expectations.
- Contributes to developing strategic engagements with actors of influence in Indonesia including for prevention objectives and plans of action in line with regional and global humanitarian diplomacy priorities as well as the delegation’s priorities.
- Provides written analyses on the political, security, social and humanitarian environment in the region and concerned countries, as well as targeted research outcomes on issues of interest for the ICRC;
- Creating, prioritizing and helping to manage external speaking opportunities for the ICRC representatives including at the highest level.
- Preparing and/or attending conferences, seminars and bilateral meetings, which may involve research work, speech-writing, speaking points, reporting and follow-up;
- Reinforces substantial dialogue and cooperation on humanitarian issues of common interest for both Indonesia/ASEAN and the ICRC.
- Coordinates with Regional Humanitarian Affairs Advisor and follow up on the files related to Indonesia/ASEAN.
- Contribute to the on-going efforts to mobilize key interlocutors including donors for both political and financial supports to the ICRC.
Required knowledge and experience:
- Around 5-7 years of overall professional experience.
- At least 3 years of experience in humanitarian action or political affairs, particularly with diplomatic background, is an asset.
- Proven experience in cultivating networks and influencing others at both national and international levels.
- Proven experience in developing strategies and related documents/reports.
- Established working relations with national/regional/international organisations, think tanks, and/or NGOs.
- University degree in a relevant subject (e.g., international relations, social and/or political sciences).
- Master’s degree or other specialization in a related subject is an asset.
- Fluent command of English and Bahasa Indonesia in both speaking and writing.
- Computer proficiency: MS Word, presentation tools, Internet.
- Able to work well under pressure and to adapt to changing priorities.
- Can work independently but also a good team player.
- Good interpersonal, organizational, and time and information management skills.
- Dynamic and with a solid sense of responsibility.
- Strong interest in international affairs and humanitarian issues.
- Competitive salary package, language and other professional development training opportunities.
- Diverse, inclusive and humanitarian-minded workforce.
- An opportunity to contribute to the ICRC’s efforts to protect and assist victims of armed conflicts and other situations of violence worldwide.
Each of Interested and qualified persons with the required experience is invited to submit her/his application in English with a cover letter explaining why s/he is suitable for the position, and a detailed CV to the Human Resources Department email@example.com with the subject of “HAA – ASEAN”.
Applications are accepted only from candidates with Indonesian citizenship. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Prior to selection interviews, the candidates will undergo tests to assess their written communication skills.
Deadline to submit application: 15 December 2023
Starting date: January 2024