Indonesia City Cluster (ICC) is a new initiative to accelerate waste management system improvements in Indonesia, led by the Alliance to End Plastic Waste. The project aims to scale-up front-line contribution to marine plastic debris prevention and ocean health. This journey started with Project STOP, a city partnership cofounded by Borealis and SYSTEMIQ. The Alliance is leading the STOP city partnership in Jembrana, Bali, where the project team have recently launched the operation of a MRF (TPST) with capacity to handle 50 tons of waste per day. In 2021, ICC is aiming to implement a scaled-up the system in Kabupaten Malang.
The Government Officer will have a critical role in ICC. They will be responsible for managing the successful delivery of governance system together with the Government Manager of the city partnership in Kabupaten Malang, East Java, Indonesia.
The role will require working with Dinas Lingkungan Hidup (DLH) and other related agencies to build a Badan Layanan Umum Daerah (BLUD) system that will be the foundation of waste management system in Malang. This process will also require driving the related government processes needed, such as local regulations/ policies, supporting documentations, and permits.
This person will ideally be a strong negotiator and a natural entrepreneur. They will have demonstrated success in building a team, identifying opportunities, and run profitable waste and recycling businesses.
In return, we offer a unique opportunity to work with international and local experts and lead a front-line initiative that can deliver tangible breakthrough results for marine plastic prevention, circular waste management, public health and livelihood benefits in Indonesia and the wider region.
- Work closely with Government Manager to ensure successful execution of the ICC project in Kabupaten Malang, East Java, Indonesia
- Coordination of a “design phase” that will involve experts from Indonesia and overseas, and government agencies – leading to an efficient BLUD governance structure able to run a waste management system and a transition plan for the city
- Monitoring progress of BLUD process, reporting of results, continuous improvement of BLUD operations, and codification of the ICC process to enable communication and replication / scaling in other locations
- Provide business guidance and mentoring to new and existing BLUD or other form or organization to build economically efficient waste businesses
- Close coordination with local governments which including village, kecamatan and kabupaten level to ensure government budget is allocated for waste management and the right regulations/policies are implemented.
- Represent the ICC project to key stakeholders when the Government Manager is not available
- Management of project budgets and implementation plans according to the agreed system transition plan, with budget variations agreed in advance with the Program Director, Ocean Plastics Asia
- Building a network of stakeholder relationships including community, NGO and religious organisations, companies in the plastics recycling value chain, and other organisations and individuals working on related initiatives across Indonesia and the wider region.
- [In time] Contribute to, or lead, replication and scaling of waste management systems in other locations in Indonesia.
Qualifications and requirements
- Years of experience (5-10 years+) in relevant roles in business, NGO or public sector organisations
- Qualification in sector(s) relevant to the project (e.g. waste management, business or public sector management, environmental, social science or economics)
- Strong analytical skills and able to demonstrate a comprehensive systemic thinking
- Strong problems solving skills
- Strong negotiation skills
- Strong entrepreneurial skills
- Strong financial literacy
- Passion for helping others achieve financial sustainability
- Able to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Able to demonstrate positive attitude and productive approaches towards challenges in a high-pressure environment
- Ability to communicate effectively in English and Bahasa Indonesian
- Strong fluency in both English and Bahasa Indonesian. Speaking local language is a plus.
- Willingness to live in Malang during the 3-4 year city transition period
Who we are
SYSTEMIQ aims to catalyse good disruptions in economic systems by building coalitions to shape policies and business strategies, co-creating market solutions in partnership with the private and public sectors, and investing its own venture capital in opportunities with the biggest potential to drive rapid system change. In South-East Asia, SYSTEMIQ is also working to develop market-based solutions for peatland and forest restoration and opened an office in Jakarta in 2017. www.systemiq.earth
The Alliance to End Plastic Waste is a non-profit consisting of over 80 members from the private sector aiming to end plastic waste in the environment through collaboration with policy makers, non-governmental organisations and local communities. Based in the United States and branch in Singapore, the alliance brings together technical leaders, engineers, scientists and practitioners to create and scale innovative solutions around the world.
How to Apply
Please click on the link below to apply