Investing in Human Capital for Disaster Management (INVEST DM) 2.0
About Yayasan Mercy Corps Indonesia
Yayasan Mercy Corps Indonesia (YMCI) is a local Indonesian non-profit organization, which implements humanitarian and development assistance programs throughout the country. YMCI’s mission is to empower people in Indonesia to become healthy, productive, and resilient communities. Resilience means an ability to recover form or adjust easily to misfortune or change.
Under USAID/BHA funding, Mercy Corps is implementing a USAID/BHA-Funded, 18-month, $2.5M Investing in Human Capital for Disaster Management (INVEST DM) Program: INVEST DM 2.0. A continuation of INVEST DM phase 1, INVEST DM phase 2 will work to support the Government of Indonesia (GOI) disaster management institutions (BNPB & BPBDs) and people at key administrative levels to be better equipped to fulfill their mandate to deliver effective DM services and save lives.
Government Liaison, Policy & Legal Advisor – INVEST DM 2.0
General Position Summary
The Advisor (Government Liaison and Policy & Legal) is part of the INVEST Jakarta Senior Management Team and reports to the INVEST DM 2.0 Chief of Party (COP) and works closely with INVEST DM 2.0 Deputy COP. The role is designed to provide legal and policy advice to INVEST DM 2.0 on BNPBs existing, new and emerging DRM concepts, policies and priorities. The incumbent is also responsible for government liaison with BNPB and as necessary with other line and technical ministries (MOHA, BAPPENAS, MENPAN, MOF) to ensure that INVEST DM 2.0 activities and strategies are aligned with, understood and supported by, GOI; specifically the BNPB and its’ Pusdiklat. This includes development and maintenance of enabling linkages between the target provincial BPBDs, Pusdiklat, and pertinent BNPB technical directorates. S/he contributes to INVEST DM 2.0 strategy development, planning, reporting and MEL activities.
Within Yayasan Mercy Corps Indonesia, the Advisor will ensure a high level of coordination with other YMCI programs focusing on DRR and resilience.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- DRM Policy and Legal Advice: Keep abreast of the GOI policy and legal environment at the national and subnational levels of government, including new and emerging developments and changes in laws and regulations governing disaster management and how this affects the INVEST DM 2.0 Also develop strategies to operate within this evolving space. Contribute to the development of legal documents (MOUs) to optimize cooperation between INVEST DM 2.0 GOI or other stakeholders.
- Liaison and Coordination: Liaise with BNPB and other relevant government agencies. One of the key functions will be to ensure that INVEST DM 2.0 strategies, activities and initiatives are well socialized with the BNPB Pusdiklat. This liaison and coordination function will also include ensuring that appropriate links are created between the Pusdiklat and relevant BNPB technical directorates to enable more professional and coordinated disaster management training. This position will lead on coordination and liaison activities between BNPB and the target INVEST DM 2.0 provinces and is responsible for monitoring improved coordination between BPBDs and other government and non-government stakeholders.
- Leadership, Management and Representation: As a member of the INVEST DM 2.0 Jakarta senior management team, this position will contribute to program strategy and planning. Through liaison functions, the position will represent the INVEST DM 2.0 program, both with government and in other multi-stakeholder fora. This position will liaise closely with the Pusdiklat training support team providing input and oversight of outputs at this
- Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning: The Advisor position will play a key role in the ongoing monitoring, evaluation and collection of lessons learned from the INVEST DM 2.0 The position will lead on monitoring and collection of lessons learned from the BNPB Pusdiklat training support team, in close collaboration with the INVEST DM 2.0 Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Specialist and the Deputy COP. This will feed into improving approaches to institutionalizing BNPBs’ Pusdiklat in-service training at the sub-national level.
- Reporting: This position will contribute to the preparation of program reports, updates and any written documentation for internal and external audiences including feature articles and newsletters.
- Accountability to Beneficiaries: All Mercy Corps Indonesia team members abide by the Code of Conduct, specifically accountability to our beneficiaries and to national and international standards guiding humanitarian and development principles, while actively engaging key stakeholders as equal partners in the design and monitoring and evaluation of MCI
- All Mercy Corps Indonesia team members are required to spend 5% of their work time in formal and/or non-formal professional learning
- Assist in other tasks or duties assigned by the Chief of Party related to DRM and DRR work that is required to ensure success in delivering INVEST DM 2.0 program
- University degree in relevant field of Development Studies/International Development, International Legal Studies/Disaster Management/Environmental Management and Policy, Education, or relevant
- 5+ years experience working within government and/or managing government partnerships preferably in the field of disaster risk management (BNPB and BPBDs)
- Strong understanding of Indonesian DRM architecture including national policy and the implementation of disaster management in a decentralized government environment;
- Ability to navigate the regulatory and legal aspects of government apparatus and to identity and influence key decision makers;
- Experience in building networks with government and non- government DRM stakeholders.
- Experience in collaboratively working with development agencies, universities, donors, and private sector and civil society;
- Familiar with MEL framework and able to contribute to program knowledge management;
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills;
- Effective time management and organizational skills including setting priorities and responding to program needs;
- Demonstrated attention to detail, problem-solving skills, being proactive and taking initiative;
- Proficiency in English, both spoken and written communication, will be considered a strong advantage;
- Strong familiarity with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint is required.
In support of our belief that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities we serve, we empower all team members to dedicate 5% of their time to learning activities that further their personal and/or professional growth and development.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Yayasan Mercy Corps Indonesia is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have sustained global impact.
We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics
Yayasan Mercy Corps Indonesua is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary General and IASC. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and to adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct elearning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
Accountability to Participants and Stakeholders
Yayasan Mercy Corps Indonesia team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our program participants, community partners, other stakeholders, and to international standards guiding international relief and development work. We are committed to actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
How to Apply
The vacancy will be closed on 09 April 2021 and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview. We look forward to hearing from those who are interested in taking this opportunity to grow and develop with us.
Human Resources Department
Yayasan Mercy Corps Indonesia