GIRL RISING SEEKS ‘EXPLORE MORE’ PROGRAM MANAGERS
IN INDONESIA, VIETNAM, ARGENTINA and the PHILIPPINES
Designation: Country Program Manager
Location: One manager in each of the following locations: Indonesia, Vietnam, Argentina and the Philippines
Start date: May 2019 (as soon as possible)
Application deadline: Applications (in English) should be sent within two weeks of the date of this posting
Date of posting: 11 April 2019
Millions of girls grow up with few role models, deprived of inspiration and feelings of possibility to become other than what is traditionally expected in most contexts, such as a wife, a mother, a homemaker. Sunsilk and Girl Rising have collaborated to change this narrative through Explore More. Initially launched in Pakistan and Thailand, Explore More will now reach adolescents in Indonesia, Vietnam, Argentina and the Philippines.
The Explore More Toolkit’s creative multimedia tools and participatory curriculum encourage self-reflection and the stretching of one’s horizons – supporting students as they identify and build a community of support. Ultimately, the Explore More program is designed to equip girls, and boys, to pursue their interests and passions and aspire to a future full of possibilities.
Girl Rising and Sunsilk
Girl Rising (GR) is a US-based nonprofit organization that uses the power of storytelling to change the way the world values and invests in girls and their education. GR tells stories about girls who face daunting barriers to their independence with determination and courage, strategically deploying these stories to fuel and strengthen social movements – informing and inspiring people to take action for girls and gender equality. GR works with local partners, adapting these stories into culturally relevant educational tools that build confidence and agency in girls and that change attitudes and social norms within their communities. More than 7,100 educators from over 130 countries have accessed the Girl Rising global curricula for use in their classrooms and hundreds more have engaged in country-specific efforts. (www.girlrising.org).
Sunsilk, a hair care brand, is one of Unilever’s Sustainable Living Brands with a mission to help open up possibilities for girls everywhere by inspiring and equipping them to explore more to their fullest potential.
Country Program Manager – Scope of Work
GR seeks an Explore More Country Program Manager in each of the following countries: Indonesia, Vietnam, Argentina, and the Philippines.
Each individual will be based in country and will identify potential partner schools and educational organizations, manage outreach to, selection and engagement with program partners, conduct trainings, coordinate monitoring and evaluation, and ensure the effective and efficient delivery of the Explore More program. Initially, the program managers will work collaboratively with the GR team to review, contextualize and finalize the three-part toolkit for the program. The contextualization will include managing the local language translation, design and printing of Explore More materials and the coordination of video discussion prompts to support the curricula.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Five or more years experience in curriculum development/delivery and excellent program management and partnership development skills.
- Significant experience working in country with local, regional and/or international youth-centered organizations, serving both girls and boys.
- Experience with girls’ empowerment/gender equity interventions and familiarity with a broader range of local cultural norms within the specific country.
- Proven success in establishing and nurturing partnerships with local like-minded organizations, educational institutions and government departments for effective and efficient delivery of program outcomes.
- Experience designing and conducting trainings for teachers in public and private school settings including, but not limited to topics related to self-esteem and self-awareness, gender, communication and decision-making skills.
- Ability to keep program on track by developing efficient work plans and maintaining regular follow ups with partnering organizations/schools.
- Ability to work independently (home-based), take initiatives and maintain efficient (long-distance) communication and reporting with the GR global team.
- Ability to work in both English and local language/s.