ASEAN-USAID Inclusive Growth in ASEAN through Innovation, Trade and eCommerce (ASEAN-USAID IGNITE) is a five-year project funded by USAID to promote a well-integrated and inclusive ASEAN Economic Community by strengthening the enabling environment for cross-border trade to benefit consumers and workers in ASEAN and the United States. The project has three focus areas: Trade Facilitation; the Digital Economy; and Science, Technology, and Innovation and is implemented collaboratively among the ASEAN Secretariat, ASEAN committees, the private sector, USAID and other U.S. Government agencies. The project was launched on 1 October 2018.
The project is looking to hire a full-time Gender Manager for the life of the project. Key responsibilities of the Gender Manager include managing and oversight over gender-related activities of the ASEAN-USAID IGNITE, and serving as a liaison with relevant sector bodies of ASEAN. More specifically, the Gender Manager will be responsible for the project’s work to promote the mainstreaming of gender issues in the ASEAN Economic Community. S/he will work with the ASEAN-USAID IGNITE Chief of Party, Deputy Chief of Party, and Program Managers to ensure that gender issues are addressed in all aspects of the project’s work. S/he will work with organizations like the ASEAN Women Entrepreneurs Network and the ASEAN Committee on Women to encourage greater recognition of women’s economic empowerment in ASEAN policy making.
Scope of Work
- Be the project’s point person for promoting women’s economic empowerment and gender mainstreaming in ASEAN
- Prepare, in collaboration with the project’s Gender Advisor, a gender assessment by 31 January 2019 of opportunities and challenges for gender mainstreaming in the ASEAN Economic Community
- Working with the Project’s staff, develop activities as part of the annual work planning process under each of the project’s program areas that address gender issues while ensuring that all work plan activities are gender-sensitive or transformative.
- Provide trainings on gender mainstreaming and women’s economic empowerment for project staff and ASEAN bodies/staff as requested.
- Support key ASEAN bodies in promoting the mainstreaming of gender issues in the AEC
- Prepare inputs to all project reporting on the impact of the project’s work on gender mainstreaming
- Working with the M&E Manager, develop and monitor gender-based indicators of the project’s and ASEAN’s performance.
- Working with the Grants Manager, identify potential grantees that can support ASEAN in promoting gender mainstreaming in the AEC and help to develop grant programs that provide opportunities for those organizations to seek support from the project.
- Such other duties as may be assigned by the Chief of Party.
- Minimum of five (5) years of relevant technical work experience on gender-related topics
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent related to economics, gender studies, human rights, law, international development, or a related field
- Demonstrated experience in planning and management of multi-year activities, including reporting both data and narrative results of progress
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills in dealing with government and private sector stakeholders
- Experience working directly or indirectly with the ASEAN Secretariat or other relevant ASEAN sectoral body preferred
- Prior experience working with USAID, DFID or another donor;
- Fluency in English;
- Strong communications skills and effective report-writing skills;
- Experience working with complex, multi-disciplinary teams;
- Experience working with Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) preferred
- Capacity to be original and creative in strategies to integrate gender considerations into non-gender related programming;
- Experience in the following preferred: conducting gender and women’s economic empowerment research; conducting gender analyses, assessments, and qualitative and quantitative research studies; integrating gender and social inclusion considerations and women’s empowerment activities into program design and implementation; designing and facilitating gender trainings; integrating gender considerations into M&E systems and structures; designing gender integration tools and toolkits; developing risk mitigation strategies to prevent and address unintended, negative consequences – including gender-based violence.
- Must live and reside in Indonesia as no expatriate benefits are allocated for this position;
- ASEAN national strongly preferred
The Gender Manager will work under the direct supervision of the ASEAN-USAID IGNITE Chief of Party and will work closely with the project’s Gender Advisor. The Gender Manager would begin work on 1 November 2018.