A consortium of Burung Indonesia, the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds and BirdLife International, established Hutan Harapan to protect and restore the biodiversity, productivity and ecosystem balance of 98,555 ha of dry lowland rainforest in Jambi and South Sumatra Provinces, Sumatra. PT Restorasi Ekosistem Indonesia (PT REKI) received the first ever ecosystem restoration concession (ERC) license issued by the Indonesian government in 2008. With support from international donors, financial institutions and business partners, PT REKI manages Hutan Harapan. Hutan Harapan is offering a unique opportunity to join and shape this groundbreaking initiative.
Hutan Harapan is pioneering an environmentally sustainable development of non-timber forest products to generate income for the concession’s operations, while generating employment and promoting local economic development. Reporting to the Director of Operations, this position will provide technical assistance to PT REKI in the development of a forest commodity business. This position is open to both national and international candidates.
To provide technical assistance in the development of a forest commodity business that will generate revenue resources to support the long-term sustainability of PT REKI’s ERC, Hutan Harapan.
3. Scope of Work
1. Reviewing existing assessments (previous business plans) and feasibility studies for HH
2.Build on past work to produce an overarching costed business plan to include but not restricted to:
(Agarwood, rubber, ecotourism, rattan, honey, fast growing timber, bamboo and others)
Update and refine the information for the most viable commodities, into a comprehensive business plan including the following elements:
a. Quantity, sustainability and security of supply of product
b. Processing options
c. Licensing options, regulatory restrictions, harvesting fees and taxation
d. Size, security and future projections of markets
e. Competition and value added of different approaches (i.e. certification)
f. Projections and return on investment over 15 years.
g. Sensitivity analysis
h. Implementation Plans
i. Risks and constraints
3.Identifying and pursuing opportunities to implement the business plan, including:
– Seeking investments/ loans/ grants
– Building buyer relationships
– Forming joint-ventures with business/ other ERCs
– Seeking technical advice and consultation with relevant businesses
• 1 year consultancy contract with possibility of extension.
• Probationary period of 3 months.
• Based in Burung Indonesia office, Bogor, Indonesia with monthly trips to Harapan, Sumatra.
• Frequent regional travel
• Contracted in Indonesia by PT Reki
• Induction with Harapan Partners to be led by RSPB
3. Qualifications, experience and competencies
The consultant / consultants for this assignment should have:
• University degree (minimum BSc or S1) Business Development, Natural Resources, Horticulture/Agriculture or related field
• At least a 10-years work experience in business planning, business development
• Proven track record of developing business plans and business start up
• A solid understanding of forest sector businesses and work experience in commodity development
• Knowledge of national and regional strategies, policies and priorities for forest commodity development in Indonesia
• Strong business acumen
• Ability to work with wide range of partners being sensitive to the local context
• Experience of engagement with sustainable business forums
• Appreciation for tropical forest conservation in Indonesia
• Working knowledge of Bahasa Indonesia
• Organized professional approach
4. Application Process
– CV with employment history and experience
– Covering letter detailing the skills and the relevant experience you would bring to the role, plus your salary expectations
– Only short-listed candidates will be contacted