The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) is a research center headquartered in the Economics Department at MIT. J-PAL’s mission is to ensure that policy is informed by scientific evidence. J-PAL Southeast Asia (SEA), based at the Institute for Economic and Social Research in the Faculty of Economics and Business at the University of Indonesia (LPEM FEB UI) in Jakarta, is one of seven independent regional offices hosted at leading universities around the world. J-PAL’s regional offices are at the center of our policy outreach and capacity building activities.
J-PAL Southeast Asia seeks a qualified applicant for the position of Finance and Operations Manager (in person, based in Jakarta). The manager will work closely with the Senior Finance and Operations Manager, managers from other verticals, and LPEM FEB in supervising office finances, planning for responsible growth, monitoring core and project budgets, and working with donors on general and project funding. It is expected that the Manager will have experience in managing grants and managing finance and operations in the non-profit sector, and survey for research activity in Indonesia. Knowledge regarding research project operations such as legal and human resource management is a plus.
- Manage multiple grant funds, including multi-million dollar initiatives, at J-PAL SEA in accordance with donor requirements;
- Report regularly to Principal Investigators on grant financials, including working with researchers and donors to reallocate funds as needed, to plug funding holes, and to negotiate with donors;
- Work with research staff to develop proposals, providing input on substantive areas of project/program operations and financial issues including staffing, budgeting, and contracting;
- Manage service contracts and vendor relationships, including procurement;
- Manage the timely assembly and submission of proposals that meet J-PAL SEA’s standards and donor requirements for submission;
- Manage reporting to donors, requests for extensions and modifications. Provide early warning to PIs on financial issues;
- Ensure that staff effort is appropriately allocated to grants and that funds from grants are used in accordance with grant terms.
Financial and Project Management
- Manage multi-year budgets for J-PAL SEA and track results with Finance Associate; report regularly to Senior Finance and Operations Manager on the financial situation; anticipate problems and develop solutions;
- Work to improve project budgeting, operational budgeting, and cost recovery;
- Maintain a system of financial control that meets University and donor requirements for transparency and responsible management of resources;
- Directly manage and develop finance and administrative staff at J-PAL SEA who are responsible for grants management, office management, human resources, and financial administration;
- Collaborate with other managers to support monitoring the project spending and other project’s related activity.
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree (advanced degree desirable) in Accounting or other related fields;
- Strong interpersonal skills and analytical abilities; broad knowledge of the principles of financial and administrative management;
- Demonstrated leadership skills; minimum of five years of working experience (managing a team) with significant financial management and operations experience;
- Ability to budget and conduct expense analysis in a non-profit setting preferred;
- Strong computer experience with various accounting, database, and financial packages;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, proven ability to communicate with senior donor representatives;
- Should be able to take a broad view of organizational management while maintaining strong understanding of budget, contracts, and grants details;
Work Authorizations: You must have work authorization in Indonesia (either by being an Indonesian national or otherwise).
J-PAL Southeast Asia is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, or expression.
How to Apply
Please send an email with your application to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 30, 2022 following these instructions exactly:
- Use the following as the email subject line: “J-PAL SEA Finance and Operations Manager” Please do not include any other text in the body of the e-mail. Adding extra text will interfere with the processing of your application.
- Attach PDF copies of your CV, your academic transcripts, and a cover letter no longer than 500 words. The cover letter should discuss how you meet the aforementioned position requirements, emphasizing relevant skills and experience, as well as why you are interested in working with J-PAL SEA and how this experience will contribute to fulfilling their future academic and/or professional plans.
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Interested candidates are advised to apply at the earliest. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.