Working in 30+ countries globally, Conservation International (CI) Foundation is a non-profit organization committed to empowering societies to responsibly and sustainably care for nature for the good of humanity. We are constantly growing and expanding into areas new and old. We are currently looking to fill the following position for our office in Tapanuli Selatan:
Field Forestry Senior Officer (FFS-O)
The position will support North Sumatra’s Field Program Manager and Senior Terrestrial Program Director to support field implementation progress. Under the supervision of North Sumatra’s Field Program Manager, the position will support the team in working closely with communities, sub-district, district, and provincial government agencies and support project alignment with government development objectives. The Field Forestry Senior Officer will be based in South Tapanuli with frequent travel to other areas in North Sumatera.
- Engagement and collaboration with local community and government agencies (i.e. FMU, S. Tapanuli Government agencies, North Sumatra Forestry agency), local organizations/ communities and other stakeholders to introduce and take initial step on landscape restoration.
- Support to Planning, organizing and facilitating development projects at a community level;
- Support partnerships with local communities and district governments for landscape restoration;
- Support spatial database, project documentation and monthly activity reports.
- Prepare monthly activity reports based on inputs from field team are submitted on time for review;
- Work with CI-Indonesia personnel to identify appropriate materials and mechanisms to support improved reporting and communications;
- Support in capturing GIS and ground verification findings;
- Support data collection for infographic and presentation deck for CI communication and outreach.
- Document the project files and correspondences with partners
- Landscape restoration and project implementation.
- Identify drive factors and potential locations for landscape restoration, protection and improving forest management, including species prioritized monitoring and their threats;
- Plan field visits to several potential locations requiring specific technical assistance and recommend best solution for project implementation;
- Support the team to collect ecological, social and economy suitability assessments on potential restoration areas as well as identifying compatible farmer’s and form farmer’s groups to take part in restoration program;
- Monitor and measure the BMP (best management practices) of restoration;
- Establish demo-plots (5 Ha each) to promote and share information to promote alternative technologies, and integrated pest management and crop diversification.
- Prepare training material and deliver training for smallholders and communities on landscape restoration.
Required (critical to successful job performance. Applicants not meeting required skills may not be hired)
- Bachelor’s degree preferred in forestry, landscape or natural resources management related science with at least 2 years of experience on forestry and sustainable development, preferably in Sumatra.
- Have an understanding in forestry and development issues at district and provincial levels.
- Familiar with social forestry regulation, agroforestry dan silviculture applications.
- Ability to work and communicate effectively in cross-cultural situations with a wide range of people in both the public.
- Flair for diplomacy; negotiation, mediation, conflict resolution, negotiating, develop networking and facilitation skills at all levels.
- Willingness to travel and work long hours, occasionally to remote areas and working on weekends or after hours if needed.
- Good communication skills in Bahasa Indonesia and English (preferably)
- Knowledge and experience in the combination of GIS and other data sources for specialized queries and reporting to ensure that geospatial data meet the organization’s requirements.
- Excellent literacy with experiences in electronic communications (i.e. E-mail, Internet, etc.) as a user including a proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint.