Alam Sehat Lestari (ASRI) is an innovative planetary health non-profit located in West Kalimantan, Indonesia that is seeking an Executive Director to work with us to help save Gunung Palung National Park – one of the biological wonders of the world and improve people’s health. The ASRI Clinic, and our future hospital, provides high-quality, discounted health care to local communities in exchange for commitments to forest conservation. This work is supported by a portfolio of conservation and community development programs designed to target individual drivers of illegal logging in Gunung Palung.
Yayasan Alam Sehat Lestari (ASRI) is seeking a new executive director beginning in March, 2018. ASRI is a world-renowned organization that has been recognized with multiple awards globally and within Indonesia including the Kalpataru Award. Our integrated work with human health and conservation has brought about a dramatic decline in logging. Our current executive director has received a Fulbright scholarship and will transition out in July, 2018. Our goal is to have overlap with the incoming Executive Director.
Our ideal candidate would have broad experience in conservation or global health with a full understanding of the local and global human health implications of a healthy natural environment. We are seeking a dedicated candidate who is fully committed to helping bring about a transformation in the way conservation is approached both within Indonesia and globally, and has the capacity to oversee a team of over 100 employees.
We are seeking someone who will be as fully committed as the rest of the ASRI team to radically listening to community-determined solutions and assisting them to implement those solutions. We believe in bottom-up driven development. We seek a role-model leader who collaboratively makes decisions, not a top-down manager.
ASRI has a sister organization in the United States called Health In Harmony and the job will require coordination with the Health In Harmony team on vision, continued sources of funding, and teaching planetary health to Indonesian and global visitors to the program. Health In Harmony has consistently raised over 1 million dollars per year for the last three year, including helping build a 1.4 million dollar hospital.
Our ideal candidate is ready to move to a relatively small but beautiful and thriving community on the edge of an amazing national park and lead our family-like team of dedicated professionals.
- Indonesian citizen (WNI)
- Medical Degree, Master or Doctoral degree in conservation, global or public health
- A minimum 5 years working experience in conservation or global health
- Fluency in speaking and writing English
- Ability to operate at both strategic and operational levels.
- Prepared to move to Sukadana with relatively frequent travel to Jakarta to fundraise and coordinate with multiple stakeholders.
- Willing to make minimum three years commitment.
- Strong communication skill for managing a large team (>100 staff and six middle managers including a hospital director).
- Readiness to creatively address unexpected challenges.
- Strong level of integrity.
- Committed to promoting respect and diversity for all people regardless of religion, race, economic status, sexual orientation, or gender.
- Form a close working relationship with six direct reports (Hospital Director, Conservation Programs Manager, Planetary Health Teaching Manager, General Affairs Manager, Finance Manager, and HR Manager) and the board of directors.
- Provide leadership to the Board as they finalize and support a five years vision for the organization.
- To ensure participative planning on yearly budget and submit it for board approval.
- Contribute fully to the development of strategic planning across all areas of the organization (human and environmental health).
- Give direction and leadership toward each division’s annual goals and objectives.
- Operate with financial integrity and accountability, including maintaining ASRI’s no-bribe policy.
- Ensure that the organization operates within budget guidelines and attempt strongly not to overspend the yearly budget.
- Ensure that organizational management systems are robust, compliant and support current activities and future growth.
- Approve SOPs developed by each division.
- Support recruitment process of key staff members, yearly evaluations, and staff capacity building as needed to achieve strategic goals.
- Assist in coordinating key partnerships for the planetary health training participants.
- Present quarterly reports to donors and boards.
- Represent ASRI with government agencies, donors, and partner organizations.
- Provide efficient communication with the Health In Harmony team in the US and help facilitate coordination between the two boards.
- Ensure that the regulatory requirements of all statutory bodies are met.
- Potentially provide support to replication of the ASRI model in other parts of Indonesia and the world.
12.000k – 15.000k. Open to negotiation.