USAID SEGAR is seeking a fixed-term employee for the position of Environmental Governance Specialist to support SEGAR Activity in Aceh area and based in Banda Aceh Province. This position aims to support the Site Manager, Environmental Governance Lead and Law Enforcement Specialist in the implementation of environmental governance activities in USAID SEGAR’s provinces and districts.
- Job code: EGSA
- Type: Long-term / Fixed term
- Job location: Banda Aceh
- Reporting line: Aceh Site Manager
- Expected DoH: Immediately
- Duration: 1 year with the possible of extension
USAID’s SEGAR Activity seeks to advance Indonesia’s own development goals of balancing biodiversity conservation and sustainable land use with inclusive economic and livelihoods development. USAID SEGAR contributes to the 2020 – 2025 USAID Indonesia Country Development Cooperation Strategy, Development Objective 3: Environmental Sustainability Improved, and Intermediate Result 1, Natural Resource Management Improved.
To achieve the overall goal, USAID SEGAR will achieve the following two objectives:
- Strengthened inclusive environmental governance in targeted subnational jurisdictions that advance biodiversity conservation, sustainable forest management, and sustainable land use.
- Increased implementation of environmental and social sustainability goals within private sector natural resource commodity production supply chains that reduces threats to biodiversity and greenhouse gas emissions from land use.
USAID SEGAR works in four regions with a total of twelve intervention districts:
- Aceh: Aceh Tamiang, North Aceh, East Aceh
- West Kalimantan: Ketapang, Kubu Raya, Sanggau, Sintang
- East Kalimantan: Berau, East Kutai, Mahakam Ulu
- Central Kalimantan: Seruyan, West Kotawaringin
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Assume responsibility for environmental governance activities in each USAID SEGAR´s provinces and districts, with an overall focus on building the environmental governance capacity of subnational jurisdictions.
- Provide technical advice on environmental governance, particularly its application at site level, to Site Managers, the Deputy Chief of Party, other component leads, and specialists.
- Support Site Managers in developing and implementing a comprehensive environmental governance plan for improving land use decision-making in relevant subnational jurisdictions.
- Provide analysis and advice on existing environmental policy frameworks in relevant subnational jurisdictions.
- Advise on policy development at subnational level relevant to the Activity, such as, but not only limited to, low carbon development, green growth, incorporation of sustainable development goals (SDGs), etc.
- Undertake pragmatic political economy analysis (including stakeholder analysis and mapping) at site level to periodically inform the Activity.
- Serve as the focal point to develop data-driven improved law enforcement approaches for environmental governance bodies and natural resource managers, including response protocols and improved coordination of government of Indonesia (GOI) entities for addressing threats at site level.
- Support key stakeholders in partner jurisdictions to improve their performance on planning, financing, and implementation of activities related to managing forest cover, HCV and HCS areas, threat levels, deforestation rates, and other relevant parameters.
- Identify stakeholder training needs for better management of HCV and HCS areas and coordinate training at site level as needed.
- Work closely with the Environmental Governance Lead, Biodiversity Conservation Lead, and relevant specialists to foster a community of practice of good environmental governance, and to strengthen subnational governance frameworks and multi-stakeholder entities.
- Contribute to the preparation and submission of annual work plans and periodic progress reports and assist with monitoring relevant Activity indicators and evaluating Activity results.
- Preferred resides within the province of activity.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in law, Public Policy, Agriculture, Forestry, or a related field.
- At least 7 years of experience working in the environmental governance and natural resource management fields, including policy-related work (for candidates with bachelor’s degrees), and a minimum of 3 years (for candidates with master’s degrees).
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience working on the issues of green growth and sustainability related to policymaking, development planning, public reporting/response mechanisms, and law enforcement.
- High level of understanding of relevant laws and policies in environmental management, development planning, budgeting, public monitoring, and decentralization in Indonesia.
- Strong understanding of, and previous involvement in, development planning and public monitoring efforts.
- Wide range of contacts with government, law enforcement, civil society, media, academia, think tanks, and other groups in the natural resources management sector (environment, forestry, agriculture, etc.).
- Good written and verbal English.
- Fluency in Bahasa (written and verbal).
- Proven ability to work in a team.
How to Apply
Please submit your application to SEGAR-Recruit@chemonics.com with the subject line “EGSA – YourName”. The application will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and early recruitment may occur until the position is filled.