The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations. Its corporate objective is to improve people’s living conditions on a sustainable basis. GIZ has been working in Indonesia since 1975 on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
In Indonesia, GIZ is implementing various energy projects under the umbrella of the Energy Programme Indonesia/ASEAN (EP). In the framework of Germany’s G7 presidency and Indonesia’s G20 presidency, bilateral and multilateral exchange on energy topics is increasing between Indonesia and Germany. These projects are commissioned by mainly the German government, represented by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and ministries of the German “International Climate Initiative” (IKI) including the German Federal Ministry for Environment, Nature Conservation, Nuclear Safety and Consumer Protection (BMUV) and the German Federal Ministry for Economy and Climate (BMWK).
GIZ is advising the German Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Climate Action (BMWK) on the implementation of its Bilateral Energy Partnerships (BEP). Currently, such Energy Partnerships are established with Algeria, Ethiopia, Brazil, Chile, China, India, Jordan, Morocco, Mexico, South Africa and Tunisia. Further, energy dialogues exist in Vietnam and Namibia. The Bilateral Energy Partnerships of the German Federal Government aim at the intensification of political and professional exchange on energy topics between Germany and the partner countries as well as the support of private sector activities in the energy sector. They act as a dialogue platform and contact point for bilateral exchange in the energy sector for the actors involved from politics, business, research and civil society. In the mid-term, the establishment of an Energy Dialogue or a Bilateral Energy Partnership between Germany and Indonesia is foreseen. Furthermore, Indonesia became a member of the multi donor Just Energy Transition Partnership (JETP) in December 2022, which shows Indonesia’s commitment to an energy transition.
The candidate will be based in Jakarta as part of the GIZ Energy Programme (EP). She/ he will be supporting the team in Germany of the Bilateral Energy Partnerships in advising BMWK. Topics include the set-up and the implementation of the JETP, an Energy Partnership and/or other formats of cooperation with Indonesia. The aim is to support Indonesia in its striving to achieve an energy transition. Therefore, a close cooperation with private sector stakeholders in the energy sector is foreseen. The candidate’s willingness to travel internationally to patriciate in trade fairs, support delegations and attend workshops has to be given.
We are looking for a candidate with a strong background in the Indonesian energy sector, to add in country-specific knowledge to the initiatives. He or she will function as a link between the EP in Indonesia and the BMWK initiatives and secure the flux of information and communication between both.
To support implementation of the programme in Indonesia, we seek a motivated and qualified Indonesian candidate for: Energy Transition Advisor
- acts as interface between the EP in Jakarta and the BEP in Berlin, hereby being an integrated staff member and active contributor to EP groups such as Policy Group etc, keeping all staff informed
- represents BMWK initiatives in Indonesia, under the guidance of the BEP and EP director
- assists the BEP team in all operational and technical aspects related to the development and implementation of cooperation activities and preparation of a potential energy partnership
- assists with Initiative and BEP project planning, strategic project development and develops concepts for activities
- implements daily operational aspects of all issues related to the BEP planned initiatives and related activities in Indonesia
- assists the BEP project team in writing reports, proposals, minutes.
- supports the project monitoring and updating information on project progress, documents and reports regularly on the status of results
- provides professional advisory services to and cooperates with a broad range of target groups, including private sector actors, in both Indonesia and Germany
- maintains a good flow of communication and information between all involved institutions, counterparts and GIZ projects and programmes
- conducts research tasks and studies on technical as well as political issues and compiling information in English and Indonesian
- carries out specific tasks in the field of cooperation with private sector and business associations, under the guidance of the EP and BEP directors
- represents the interests and acts in the interest of GIZ
- assists the EP director in strategy development, donor coordination with regards to BMWK related energy initiatives, and partner communication and outreach in Indonesia (political partners)
Energy Partnership conceptualization between Germany (BMWK) and Indonesian stakeholders
- involvement in ideation process for activities of the new EP project
- acts as resource person for Indonesian energy sector knowledge
- develops and comments concept papers, briefing papers and other documents on energy cooperation initiatives with Indonesia
- conceptualizes, organizes and documents workshops on different energy-related topics for different audiences (online and on-site in Indonesia)
- engages with the private sector and private sector associations (e.g. German business associations)
- participates in workshops on content and structure of cooperation between Indonesia and Germany (online and on-site), strengthening the Indonesian perspective
- further develops the GIZ involvement in the energy cooperation of BMWK by liaising with ministries in Indonesia under the guidance of the EP Director and EP Senior Liaison Officer and other related staff of the EP
Energy Technical Advisory and Capacity Development
- conceptualizes, tenders and manages the elaboration of studies through external short-term and long-term consultants on energy topics with relevance for Indonesian and German partners
- conceptualizes and organizes delegation trips of high-ranking energy sector officials (public and private sector) to Indonesia and Germany
- conceptualizes, coordinates and documents meetings, workshops, study tours, trainings and other activities
- supports cooperation, regular contact and dialogue with partners and cooperates with local communities, relevant organisations, non-governmental agencies and individuals in the project/programme environment and with other projects to improve and maintain good working relationship
Interface between BEP and Energy Programme Indonesia/ASEAN
- represents BEP and BMWK perspective within the EP in Indonesia, and participates in related internal and external strategy discussions and workshops
- supports the EP and BEP teams in the cooperation work with donors and international institutions
- acts as interface with other GIZ energy projects globally, in Germany and Indonesia and networking with colleagues from other cooperation projects in the energy sector
Knowledge Management and Communications
- supports knowledge management (incl. writing of reports, monitoring and translation of documents), cooperation and exchange with the EP and its projects in Indonesia
- supports public relations activities of the EP and the BEP, including the development of PR material, brochures, and participation in EP-overarching communication activities etc.
implements other related tasks as arising from the EP and/or BEP teams
- University degree (at least Bachelor) in an area that is related to the project fields such as energy management, economics, social sciences, engineering, environment, or equivalent.
- Good communication skills, especially with the Indonesian governmental institutions, the energy sector and relevant business and civil society actors.
- Be knowledgeable about stakeholder participation and dialogue.
- At least 6 years’ professional experience in in the field of international cooperation, energy, renewable energies or a comparable position.
- Experienced in working in the (renewable) energy sector.
- Experience working with Indonesian energy government stakeholders an advantage
- Experienced in writing reports and documenting meetings.
- Experienced in preparation and implementation of trainings, workshops, study tours, meetings or similar events.
- Experienced in coordinating project activities.
- Experienced in translating English and Indonesian documents.
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Very good working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office).
- Excellent knowledge of English and Indonesian; German language skills are a plus
- Good knowledge of the Indonesian political system. Prior experience in a public entity is a plus
- Good knowledge of the Indonesian energy sector
- Good knowledge of the actors (public and private) and the regulatory framework of the Indonesian energy sector
- Willingness to travel regularly within Indonesia and internationally
- Team player, good communicator and a “can do” spirit
Duty Station: Jakarta
Joining Date: 1st March 2023
Direct Supervisor: Team Lead Energy Hub
How to Apply
Please submit your motivation letter and comprehensive resume (including training and list of references) to email@example.com by 31 January, 2023 with subject line BEP – ETA
Please name your file as follow format:
[Your Complete Name]_[Motivation Letter/CV/Latest Education Certificate] (i.e: Nakula Sadewa_CV or Nakula Sadewa_Motivation Letter or Nakula Sadewa_Reference)
Only short-listed candidates will be notified.