The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations. Its corporate objective is to improve people’s living conditions on a sustainable basis. GIZ has been working in Indonesia since 1975 on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
In Indonesia, GIZ is implementing various energy projects under the umbrella of the Energy Program Indonesia/ASEAN. These projects are commissioned by mainly the German government, represented by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and the International Climate Initiative, represented by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Climate Action (BMWK).
Projects under the Energy Program Indonesia/ASEAN aim to support Indonesia’s energy transition (ET) through increasing the share of renewable energy (RE) and improving energy efficiency (EE) of the power sector, key industries as well as in the built environment. It aims to support decarbonization of the energy sector by working with the private sector and on city level to develop concrete technology solutions, while complementing this work through advisory work on sustainable energy policy making and development of financial instruments. Some projects are implemented through a consortium of Indonesian and international (implementing) partners.
Projects are anchored with the Direktorat Jenderal Energi Baru Terbarukan dan Konservasi Energi (DJ EBTKE) under the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources (MEMR) or BAPPENAS, but work with other energy related political partners, including the Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Industry, PLN, to name a few. To structure the policy advisory work, the Energy Programme is building a Policy Unit to connect policy advisory work across various projects.
To support implementation of the Energy Programme in Indonesia, we seek one (1) motivated and qualified Indonesian candidate for this position. (Job title in SAP: Energy Advisor).
The position holder
- Acts as resource person and provides energy expertise on topics related to Indonesia’s ET and within the context of the JETP (such as renewable energy, energy efficiency, carbon trading, etc)
- Provides energy related advice to German and Indonesian counterparts.
- Provide technical assistance and capacity development to the government and partners, linking technical assessments with policy making.
- Provide knowledge management support by drafting reports, writing articles, and supporting the upscaling and replication of lessons learned and best practices from the ongoing project portfolio with support of communications and admin staff.
- Becomes part of the Energy Programme’s Policy Unit and works in a team to deliver cohesive policy advisory work to various partner ministries.
- Supports the project management including inputs to progress reports, monitoring and evaluation, budget planning.
- Provision of Energy Policy Expertise to foster Indonesia’s Energy Transition
- Provide energy sector expertise for Indonesia’s ET to improve the regulatory framework for both RE and EE, as well as related carbon and energy interface (carbon trading, cap setting, etc)
- Advise and support on the development of policy and regulatory framework improvement for RE grid integration, EE acceleration, carbon regulation, and other policies related to the Energy Transition
- As member of the Policy Unit, conduct monitoring and analysis of energy policies in Indonesia
- In close coordination with the government partners, conduct studies and workshops/focus group discussions on topics related to the ET (e.g. coal phase out, grid integration, RE, EE, etc.).
- Support and advise government partners (Germany, Indonesia) by preparing sector studies, background papers, policy briefs, recommendations, reports, factsheets etc., in close coordination with other projects under the GIZ Energy Program.
- Support and advise consortium partners on topics related to energy policy.
- Lead implementation of activities from detailed planning, deadline and milestone setting, consultant management, stakeholder involvement and budget planning.
- Support policy advice for MEMR, BAPPENAS and other relevant ministries, by linking pilot applications and use-cases with policy advisory for selected policies and strategies.
- Support the systematic identification of future energy topics to be addressed within the scope of the German-Indonesian energy cooperation.
- Technical assistance: Implement capacity development measures and energy policy advisory studies
- Conduct a capacity needs assessment and develop a capacity development strategy for energy policy stakeholders with a focus on MEMR, PUPR and MoI
- Lead the design and provision of training and skill development for various energy policy stakeholders on topics related to energy efficiency, renewable energy and carbon regulation such as public agencies, academic institutions, utilities, private sector stakeholders and civil society on topics related to industrial decarbonization (energy)
- Develop policy study concept designs, write TOR and manage implementation of these studies, including selecting and overseeing the work of international and national consultants.
- Prepare, organize, and facilitate training, seminars and other events on energy policy related subjects including administrative and content related tasks.
- Support consortium members in their efforts to strengthen the capacity of non-energy stakeholders.
- Identify and develop event concepts and plans including the organization of conferences, delegation trips to Germany/abroad, expert exchange meetings and policy dialogues on industrial decarbonization.
- Prepare, organize, and facilitate such activities on energy related subjects including administrative and content related tasks, including travel.
- Stakeholder outreach and Networking
- Act as government liaison person to the Energy Programme and/or respective project partners, develop close relationship and set-up exchange regular formats.
- Facilitate contacts, manage relationships, and uphold information flow both internally as well as externally (political partners such as MEMR, MoI, MoF, PLN, others, public and private stakeholders, etc.).
- Actively conduct outreach to relevant stakeholders (industry, associations, government, donor community, think tanks, etc.), conduct networking and represent the Energy Program in relevant meetings and forums.
- Coordinate closely with other projects of the Energy Program and from other international donors to address stakeholders needs and expectations in the implementation particularly but not limited to topics related to decarbonization of industries.
- Knowledge management
- Design ideas and prepare knowledge products showcasing the purpose, approach, and successes of the Indonesian ET, including sector background briefings, policy briefs and reviews, policy recommendations, presentation, success stories, factsheets, fliers, and reports.
- Provide backstopping and review of such knowledge products prepared by other energy projects.
- Participate in events, summarize meeting discussion, and provide synthesis papers relevant for the GIZ energy program, German donor ministries, and the political partner.
- Participate in internal knowledge management including the GIZ Energy Program, to provide internal analysis and synthesis of energy themes in Indonesia, e.g. within the Energy Hub, the GIZ internal Energy Policy Group, and other knowledge sharing platforms.
- Project management support
- Provide inputs to annual operational planning, budget planning, project reporting and monitoring.
- Participate and support preparation of regular steering meetings.
- Prepare TOR and tenders for external suppliers / facilitators / consultants / trainers to conduct relevant technical studies, capacity development measures, trainings, events etc.
- Select and supervise consultants acting as external suppliers / facilitators / consultants / trainers for projects providing policy advice to steer activity implementation, provide quality assurance and maintain close alignment with political partners.
- Act as focal point for external suppliers / facilitators / consultants / trainers, working closely with the project administrative officer.
- Other duties/additional tasks
- Contribute actively to a good working climate and team working within the project and across the GIZ Energy Program.
- Proactively share information about the project with other relevant GIZ projects, seeks synergies, and follows a cooperative approach across the larger GIZ Energy Program.
- Assist other experts -including consultants- and performs additional duties at the request of the Project Manager/Coordinator, the Energy Programme Director, or other Senior Advisors
- Assist the Energy Programme Director and Country Director on overarching issues related to the implementation of GIZ corporate strategy (eq. Vision 2028)
- Bachelor/Masters (B/MSc; B/MA) in relevant field of work, e.g., energy economics, environmental policy, energy public policy, carbon policy, or comparable with good understanding of renewable energy and its policy development in Indonesia
- At least 5 (five) years professional experience in/with renewable energy, energy efficiency, carbon policy, ideally with a focus or relevance to on energy and carbon policy making.
- At least 4 (four) years providing technical assistance to governmental and/or regional/ international implementing organizations in the field of sustainable energy / climate change mitigation.
- Very good understanding of policy-making processes within the Government of Indonesia.
- Previous experience preparing and managing technical energy related studies including supervision and steering of consultants is a strong asset.
- Previous experience in preparing and implementing events and capacity development measures (conference, delegation trips, trainings, dialogues, etc.) is an asset.
- Previous experience working with/for MEMR, PLN, MoI, PUPR, and or other government institutions is an asset.
- Previous professional experience abroad, including Germany, US, Japan, Europe, US and/or UN Agency is an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills and ability to liaise and communicate effectively with governments.
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Very good working knowledge about sustainable energy including the global discourse about the ET, overview of various energy technologies, as well as climate and energy policy making processes.
- Very good knowledge of ICT technologies (internet, e-mail) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office/Teams).
- Excellent written and oral knowledge of Bahasa Indonesia and English.
- Willingness to up skill as required by the tasks to be performed.
- Very strong organisational competence with good communication and coordination skills in multicultural context.
- International experience, ability to work in an intercultural environment.
- Willingness to travel (Indonesia, abroad, Germany) when required.
- Proactive approach, good communicator, ready to join a versatile team.
In case of suitability to different job openings currently published under the Energy Programme, applicants are encouraged to apply to different job openings if of interest (multiple applications).
GIZ reserves the right to offer this position on Junior level, should a candidate not fully match the requirements for the listed qualification and professional expertise.
Duty Station: Jakarta
Joining Date: a.s.a.p. (preferred 1st March 2024)
Direct Supervisor: Energy Programme Director, Project Manager/Coordinator SETI
How to Apply
Please submit your motivation letter, comprehensive resume and copy of educational certificate (including training and list of references) as attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 13th, 2024, with subject line Energy Programme – Energy Policy Advisor.
Please name your file as follow format:
[Your Complete Name]_[Motivation Letter/CV/Latest Education Certificate] (i.e: Nakula Sadewa_CV or Nakula Sadewa_Motivation Letter or Nakula Sadewa_Reference) – the attachments are not more than 300 KB.
Only short-listed candidates will be notified.