The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations. Its corporate objective is to improve people’s living conditions on a sustainable basis. GIZ has been working in Indonesia since 1975 on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
In Indonesia, GIZ is implementing various energy projects under the umbrella of the Energy Program Indonesia/ASEAN. These projects are commissioned by mainly the German government, represented by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and the International Climate Initiative, represented by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Climate Action (BMWK).
SETI aims to support Indonesia’s energy transition through increasing the share of renewable energy and improving energy efficiency of key industries as well as in the built environment. It aims to support decarbonisation of the energy sector by working with the private sector and on city level to develop concrete technology solutions, while complementing this work through advisory work on sustainable energy policy making and development of financial instruments. SETI is implemented through a consortium of Indonesian and international (implementing) partners.
Anchored with the Direktorat Jenderal Energi Baru Terbarukan dan Konservasi Energi (DJ EBTKE) under the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources (MEMR), SETI works with different energy related political partners, including Bappenas, the Ministry of Finance, PLN, to name a few.
To support implementation of the project in Indonesia, we seek one (1) motivated and qualified Indonesian candidate for this position.
- Act and grow as technical expert to provide energy expertise to foster Indonesia’s Energy Transition, with a focus on decarbonisation of energy in industries
- Provide technical assistance to the government and industry partners, such as through development and implementation of capacity development measures and techno-economic analysis and studies, linking technical assessments with policy-makings
- Support strategic and structured assessment and selection of potential industry partners for SETI and develop cooperation programmes and their dissemination
- Build a network of stakeholders across industry, government and communities in the context of SETI
- Provide knowledge management support by drafting reports, writing articles, and supporting the upscaling and replication of lessons earned and industry decarbonisation best practices beyond the pilot projects
- Prepare and implement events such as workshops, conferences, technical trainings, delegation trips, focus group discussions, and related outreach measures
- Support Project management of SETI including inputs to progress reports, monitoring and evaluation, budget planning.
- Provision of Energy Policy Expertise to foster Indonesia’s Energy Transition
- Provide energy sector expertise for Indonesia’s energy transition to support SETI to improve the regulatory framework for both renewable energy and energy efficiency in the built environment and industry
- Advise and support on the development of policy and regulatory framework improvement for RE grid integration and energy transition
- Conduct monitoring and analysis of energy policy in Indonesia
- In close coordination with the government partners, conduct studies and workshops/focus group discussions on topics related to the energy transition (e.g. coal phase out, renewable energy, energy efficiency, tc.).
- Support and advise government partners (Germany, Indonesia) by preparing sector studies, background papers, policy briefs, recommendations, reports, factsheets etc., in close coordination with other projects under the GIZ Energy Program.
- Support and advise SETI consortium partners on topics related to energy policy
- Lead implementation of activities from detailed planning, deadline and milestone setting, consultant management, stakeholder involvement and budget planning.
- Support policy advice for MEMR and other relevant ministries, by linking pilot applications and use-cases with policy advisory for selected policies and strategies.
- Support the systematic identification of future energy topics to be addressed within the scope of the German-Indonesian energy cooperation.
- Technical assistance: Implement capacity development measures and energy policy advisory studies
- Conduct a capacity needs assessment and develop a capacity development strategy for energy policy stakeholders with a focus on MEMR, PUPR and MoI
- Lead the design and provision of training and skill development for various energy policy stakeholders on topics related to energy efficiency and renewable energy such as public agencies, academic institutions, utilities, private sector stakeholders and civil society on topics related to industrial decarbonization (energy)
- Develop policy study concept designs, write TOR and manage implementation of these studies, including selecting and overseeing the work of international and national consultants
- Prepare, organize, and facilitate training, seminars and other events on energy policy related subjects including administrative and content related tasks.
- Support consortium members in their efforts to strengthen the capacity of non-energy stakeholders.
- Identify and develop event concepts and plans including the organization of conferences, delegation trips to Germany/abroad, expert exchange meetings and policy dialogues on industrial decarbonization.
- Prepare, organize, and facilitate such activities on energy related subjects including administrative and content related tasks, including travel.
- Stakeholder outreach and Networking
- Act as government liaison person to the SETI project partners, develop close relationship and set-up exchange regular formats
- Facilitate contacts, manage relationships, and uphold information flow both internally as well as externally (political partners such as MEMR, PLN, MOI, others, public and private stakeholders, etc.).
- Actively conduct outreach to relevant stakeholders (industry, associations, government, donor community, think tanks, etc.), conduct networking and represent SETI in relevant meetings and forums.
- Coordinate closely with other projects of the Energy Program and from other international donors to address stakeholders needs and expectations in the implementation particularly but not limited to topics related to decarbonization of industries.
- Knowledge management
- Design ideas and prepare SETI knowledge products showcasing the purpose, approach, and successes of SETI, including sector background briefings, policy briefs and reviews, policy recommendations, presentation, success stories, factsheets, fliers, and reports.
- Provide backstopping and review of such knowledge products prepared by other energy projects.
- Participate in events, summarize meeting discussion, and provide synthesis papers relevant for the GIZ energy program, German donor ministries, and the political partner.
- Participate in internal knowledge management including the GIZ Energy Program, to provide internal analysis and synthesis of energy themes in Indonesia, e.g. within the Energy Hub, the GIZ internal Energy Policy Group, and other knowledge sharing platforms
- Project management support
- Provide inputs to annual operational planning, budget planning, project reporting and monitoring.
- Participate and support preparation of regular steering meetings.
- Prepare TOR and tenders for external suppliers / facilitators / consultants / trainers to conduct relevant technical studies, capacity development measures, trainings, events etc.
- Select and supervise consultants acting as external suppliers / facilitators / consultants / trainers for SETI to steer activity implementation, provide quality assurance and maintain close alignment with political partners.
- Act as focal point for external suppliers / facilitators / consultants / trainers, working closely with the project administrative officer.
- Other duties/additional tasks
- Contribute actively to a good working climate and team working within the project and across the GIZ Energy Program.
- Proactively share information about the project with other relevant GIZ projects, seeks synergies, and follows a cooperative approach across the larger GIZ Energy Program.
- Assist other experts -including consultants- and performs additional duties at the request of the Project Manager/Coordinator, the Energy Programme Director, or other Senior Advisors
- Bachelor/Masters (B/MSc; B/MA) in relevant field of work, e.g., energy economics, environmental policy, energy public policy, or comparable with good understanding of renewable energy and its policy development in Indonesia
- At least 5 (five) years professional experience in/with renewable energy, energy efficiency, ideally with a focus or relevance to on energy policy making
- At least 2 (two) years providing technical assistance to governmental and/or regional/ international implementing organizations in the field of sustainable energy / climate change mitigation.
- Previous experience preparing and managing technical energy related studies including supervision and steering of consultants is a strong asset
- Previous experience in preparing and implementing events and capacity development measures (conference, delegation trips, trainings, dialogues, etc.) is an asset.
- Previous experience working with/for MEMR, PLN, MoI, PUPR, and or other government institutions is an asset.
- Good understanding of policy-making processes within the Government of Indonesia is an asset
- Previous professional experience abroad, including Germany, US, Japan, Europe, US and/or UN Agency is an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills and ability to liaise and communicate effectively with governments.
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Very good working knowledge about sustainable energy including the global discourse about the energy transition, overview of various energy technologies, as well as climate and energy policy making processes.
- Very good knowledge of ICT technologies (internet, e-mail) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office/Teams).
- Excellent written and oral knowledge of Bahasa Indonesia and English.
- Willingness to up skill as required by the tasks to be performed.
- Very strong organisational competence with good communication and coordination skills in multicultural context.
- International experience, ability to work in an intercultural environment.
- Willingness to travel (Indonesia, abroad, Germany) when required.
- Proactive approach, good communicator, ready to join a versatile team.
Duty Station: Jakarta
Joining Date: 1 July 2023
Direct Supervisor: Project Manager/Coordinator SETI, Energy Program Director
How to Apply
Please submit your motivation letter, comprehensive resume and copy of educational certificate (including training and list of references) as attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 11, 2023, with subject line SETI – EPA.
Please name your file as follow format:
[Your Complete Name]_[Motivation Letter/CV/Latest Education Certificate] (i.e: Nakula Sadewa_CV or Nakula Sadewa_Motivation Letter or Nakula Sadewa_Reference) – the attachments are not more than 300 KB.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.