The Australia-Indonesia Partnership for Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment (MAMPU Phase II) aims to address key issues affecting poor women in accessing, controlling, participating and enjoying fulfillment from policies and development programs in five thematic areas as follows:
1. Improving access to GOI’s social protection programs;
2. Improving conditions of employment and removing workplace discrimination;
3. Improving conditions for women’s overseas labour migration;
4. Improving women’s health and nutritional status;
5. Reducing violence against women.
The Program will increase capacity of civil society partners; expand the network organisations working on gender equality; better position all of our partners to exert greater influence on key areas of government policy; and expand reach among poor women at the grassroots level. The Program will also harness the work of Phase I to generate policy change that leads to widespread impact for poor women in Indonesia.
The Communication and Knowledge Management Manager will be responsible for providing and facilitating support to program partners, the MAMPU Team, and DFAT in the design and implementation of the communication and knowledge management strategy for MAMPU program. This will include 3 core areas:
1. Internal Communications
– Including managing ways to share knowledge internally among MAMPU staff, partners, DFAT and BAPPENAS as well as managing all communications activities in MAMPU.
2. External Communications
– Managing MAMPU communication channels (digital and non-digital channels).
– Producing high quality MAMPU communication materials (documents, videos, etc).
– Raising MAMPU’s Profile (engage with key medias/ social media influencers, media placements, government relations, etc).
3. Partners Engagement Function
She/he will work in collaboration with the Technical Program Advisors, PIA, M&E Specialist, as well as Thematic Coordinators and oversee/supervise the work of the communication and knowledge management team within MAMPU. she/he will report directly to the Team Leader and manage a small team.
Scope of Work:
I. Strategic Function (Internal and External elements)
• Lead the design and implementation of the program Communications and Knowledge Management Strategy and program branding in consultation and collaboration with partners and DFAT;
• Manage public affairs and public diplomacy efforts below for MAMPU and in collboration with DFAT;
• Provide high level strategic communications advice to the MAMPU Senior Management Team and MAMPU Partners.
• High level public relations engagement with key media and other influential stakeholders that can promote the approach and achievements and raise the profile of MAMPU
• Proactively identify effective strategies and tools to facilitate dissemination of knowledge products, lessons learned and best practices to relevant target audiences:
II. Operations Function (Internal and External elements)
• Produce as well as effectively manage the production of the program communication products through the preparation of ToR which meet DFAT and MAMPU standards for information materials, print and audio-visual for media, and other public outreach;
• Manage the MAMPU website and MAMPU twitter account to effectively share information, promote issues, disseminate MAMPU achievements, and link resources and stakeholders. Ensure website is kept up to date by producing and managing website content (Bahasa Indonesia and English) uploading of media materials, photos, MSC stories, related media, research, achievements etc
• Effectively manage MAMPU website redesign through contracting and managing external service providers and managing contributions (content) from MAMPU team. Responsible to approve all website content in Indonesian and in English in conjunction with the PIA prior to uploading
• Provide support in planning, organising and implementing interactive joint-learning activities networking events, and thematic conferences as required
• Plan and implement internal MAMPU joint interactive activities such as BBL and other events to engage MAMPU staff on MAMPU
• Contribute to the development of 6-Monthly Work Plans and program progress reports through identification of priorities in communication/learning activities and/or areas for partner capacity building, as well as lessons learned and best practices on relevant thematic interventions;
• Provide journalists/media oversight;
• Provide high-level support to the MAMPU team to enhance MAMPU’s internal knowledge management systems and information sharing.
• Manage all CKM staff ensuring they are producing high quality communications products and providing high level advice and support to Partners, TC and MAMPU Program
• Work with the Program Information Analyst (PIA) to produce and review English language communications materials and other assistance as required
• Prepare high quality TOR / SOS to engage high caliber consultants related to communications, media, journalists, website etc and effectively manage those contracts;
• Manage Media Monitoring services to ensure they are meeting MAMPU’s needs and share key pieces of media with SMT, PIA, DFAT and others as required.
• Anticipate and act upon any additional communication-related needs as they arise.
III. Partners Engagement Function
• Provide advice and support to partners in the implementation of annual work plans in the areas of communication/knowledge management with an aim to enhance the quality, consistency and appropriateness of partner-specific communication materials, activities, and processes;
• Work with partners to identify appropriate venues, channels, and tools for improved program communication, including both vertical communication between national and local partners, and horizontal communication among partners and stakeholders, through the life of the program;
• In coordination with MAMPU team, identify opportunities to strengthen the capacity of partners in communication and knowledge management through appropriate advocacy and training, and other capacity development activities;
• Ensure timely and sufficient support provided to partners in the development and implementation of partner knowledge management plan and learning strategies, in close consultation with DFAT;
• Lead strategic engagement with Partners to effectively and strategically utilise funding earmarked for communications activities to support Thematic areas.
- Very high-level English language skills both oral and written with proven experience producing high quality communications products.
- Bachelors’ degree or higher from a recognized University with a major in Communications, public relations, journalism or equivalent and gender studies
- More than 10 years of experience in developing and implementing communication strategies for development projects including related to gender issues in Indonesia a distinct advantage
- Capability and proven experience in developing communication strategies and materials in various formats (print, radio, web-based, television, etc.) targeting a variety of audiences;
- Proven experience developing and delivering high quality communications strategies and products (motion graphics, info kit, micro-website, press release, etc) for international conferences in Indonesia;
- Experience in developing and delivering knowledge sharing programmes between different stakeholders or organizations;
- Experience in promotional awareness, social mobilization, public outreach activities with gender-interested CSOs;
- Experience in capacity building with CSOs to develop, implement and monitor internal and external communication strategies;
- Experience in a Public Affairs unit;
- Ability to build partnerships for learning and knowledge sharing;
- Proven ability to multi-task, manage a small team, take initiative and work well under pressure;
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Software and other communications related software for producing newsletters, managing websites, social media etc;
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal skills;
- Familiarity with website development, social media platforms and engaging youth is essential.
Key Performance Indicators
- Completed Communications and Knowledge Management Strategy accepted by DFAT and Partners
- Partners have communication/knowledge management strategies as part of their work plans.
- Program communication products including but not limited to information materials, print and audio-visual for media, and other public outreach are completed;
- Succesfully manages all media/communications activities on time and within the budget;
- Production and dissemination of briefs or newsletters based on research on issues relevant to MAMPU thematic areas has taken place;
- High quality C&KM reporting is provided in the development of Six Monthly and Annual Plans, and monitoring of program implementation and workplans.
- Relationships with stakeholders including Partners, GOI, DFAT, Advisors, and MAMPU Team and other key stakeholders are positive as reported by Partner feedback.