TERMS OF REFERENCE
Development of Spatial Instrument for Carbon Monitoring
Omnibus law no 11/2020 provides a legal basis and opportunity for forestry businesses to diversify their businesses and expand the role of the forestry sector in increasing contributions to the social, economic and environmental dimensions and contributes to the achievement of Indonesia’s NDC. However, to take advantage of and follow up on the opportunities that the law provides, requires numbers of business’ pre-conditions, both legal requirements due to broadening of the business scope, as well as various technical aspects and other issues related to company capacities.
KADIN as a home for various types and scales of business in Indonesia considers there is a need to bridge the process of implementing such opportunities for expanding the scope of the forestry business through conducting various relevant activities to improve capacity of the member companies. For this reason, KADIN intends to support the readiness of its members’ capacities, under intensive consultation with the Ministry of Environment and Forestry (KLHK), through establishing the so called the “Regenerative Forest Business Hub “. This Regenerative Forest Business Hub is a KADIN’s Program to facilitate the improvement of knowledge, attitude, and commitments towards sustainable forestry management through three main activities, namely increasing knowledge for member companies, dialogue process, and readiness for implementation. It is expected that this program will provide a clear picture for member companies how to step forward to gain more business profitability and sustainability taking into account the urgency to build business inclusiveness involving local stakeholders, scaling up the companies’ role in social, environmental, and economic dimensions.
In addition to that, as the regenerative forest program promotes measures to re-greening of forest areas while improving profit and people’s welfare, it will also contribute to the Indonesia NDC. To be able to support the government program to monitor the progress achievement of the Indonesia NDC, the program also intends to develop spatial modeling to identify potential geographical areas for emission reduction and its regular monitoring of the emission level.
In order to achieve this intention, KADIN calls consultants to carry out the work as outlined below.
The overall objective of the consultant services is to develop a model of spatial monitoring instrument to support Indonesia’s NDC progress monitoring.
Specific objective of this work includes:
- To develop framework of spatially explicit modelling to monitor emission level
- To analyze baseline emission in forestry sub sector
- To conduct gap analysis between current emission and the NDC target
- Collecting data and analysis of mitigation action
- To develop scenarios to identify geographical priority areas potentially to support the NDC achievement
- To provide policy inputs related to utilizing carbon business opportunities in the forestry sector
The outputs of the work include:
- A spatial instrument to monitor emission levels in the forestry sector
- Baseline information on the level of emissions (tabular and spatial) which is the basis for reducing emissions according
- Spatially verified mitigation actions that have the potential to contribute to the achievement of NDC
- Availability of activity scenarios and maps of potential locations for intervention in achieving NDC
- Availability of an explicit spatial information as policy input in determining/determining carbon business in the forestry sector
The activities is carried out through desk study to use available spatial and tabular data to develop a spatial instrument to monitor carbon emission in the forestry sector in Indonesia. The activities are carried out through data collection from the accessible public documents, desk analysis by combining inventory data and remote sensing, and other relevant activities as required.
Proposal should include:
- Approach and methodology
- Qualification of the team members
- Proposed budget
Deliverable and Timeline
Deliverables and its timeline are provided in the matrix below:
|Data collection, analysis and writing||X||X|
|First draft report||X|
|Public consultation #1 (key ministries)||X|
|Draft of final report||X|
- Inception report to include outline of the final report
- Field visit is possible in case required
- First draft report to include a complete substantive description as outlined for the final report
The following are the selection criteria for the team of consultant(s):
- The individual or organization should have strong experience related to spatial analysis and carbon accounting and monitoring;
- The organization has experience of working with Ministry of Environment and Forestry, forestry societies include local communities and forestry companies;
- Demonstrable relevant academic and practical experience in qualitative and quantitative research methodology, evaluation design and implementation;
- Proven experience in program design skills, including capacity to prepare logical, coherent and consistent documents;
- Capacity to work in a multi-disciplinary team, including coordinating technical input into a framework;
- Excellent reporting and communication skills.
Skills and Experiences:
(i) Academic Qualifications/Education of team members:
- University degree in forestry, Geomatic, or other related field
(ii) Skills and attitudes
- Strong interpersonal skills, communication and diplomatic skills, ability to work in a team;
- Openness to change and ability to receive/integrate feedback;
- Ability to work under pressure and stressful situations;
- Strong analytical, reporting and writing abilities;
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills
(iii) Languages Requirements:
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills in English and Indonesia
How to Apply