Environmental Bamboo Foundation / EBF is a non-profit foundation engaged in the development and improvement of the quality of bamboo for people’s livelihood and welfare by implementing a sustainable management system and community-based empowerment.
EBF was founded in 1993 by Linda Garland (Indonesian Bamboo Ambassador) under the name Yayasan Bambu Lingkungan Lestari (Environmental Sustainable Bamboo Foundation). Concurred with the establishment of EBF, the Bamboo Planting Program in the Flores region was initiated in 1992 as a form of post-earthquake recovery activity in Flores. In 1995, in collaboration with the Government of East Nusa Tenggara (NTT), EBF launched the One Million Bamboo Planting Program in Flores.
The scope of EBF’s activities includes community empowerment supported by research on bamboo with its supporting components, both in terms of socio-economic, environmental, as well as supporting science. In 2017, at the UNCCC – COP 23, EBF launched the 1,000 Bamboo Villages Initiative program. The 1,000 Bamboo Villages Initiative program is aiming to create a Restoration Economy where people, especially rural farming communities can actively restore degraded and make a very good economy for themselves their families and their communities in the process
The 1,000 Bamboo Villages Initiative program allows farmer cooperatives to produce value-added bamboo products, at the village level, by creating an integrated forest to the factory production system. Through the initiative EBF has developed a bamboo forestry system called the Hutan Bambu Lestari / HBL system (Sustainable Bamboo Forests system) which is a community-based bamboo forestry system to sustain a sustainable bamboo industry in Indonesia. The 1,000 Bamboo Villages Initiative program is a holistic system where native species are reintroduced to degraded lands and set aside areas for food crops and cash crops within a larger agroforestry reality.
Environmental Bamboo Foundation believes that to successfully execute the 1,000 Bamboo Villages vision, there are Six Key Pathways that will have to be activated;
The First Pathway, Resource Investment and Mobilization, is to ensure investment in village-level bamboo industry is attractive to the financial sector and Bamboo Villages are a bankable asset class.
The Second Pathway, Grow Network of Resilient Bamboo Villages, is to ensure optimal, long-term utilization of the landscape through establishing bamboo agroforestry systems that are socially, financially, ecologically resilient.
The Third Pathway, Build Digital Business Solutions for Bamboo Agroforestry, is to digitalize bamboo agroforestry industry for increased efficiency, professionalization and connectivity.
The Fourth Pathway, Ensure Market Access Through Sustainable Certification, is to ensure acceptability to market through an affordable verification of sustainably sourced bamboo and agroforestry products.
The Fifth Pathway, Govern Bamboo Agroforestry Value Chains, is to partner with key market players to ensure good governance and create a trusted, transparent equitable value chain for bamboo agroforestry products.
The Sixth Pathway, Strengthen Public Sector Support, is to ensure bamboo agroforestry industry is supported by key policy development and a regulatory environment that enables a restorative economic growth of the sector
For this purpose, EBF invites experienced, energetic and passionate professional who has growth mindset to join EBF’s Team in establishing 1.000 Bamboo Villages as CORPORATE SECRETARY.
Summary of Key Functions:
- To ensure that Board members have the proper advice and resources for discharging their fiduciary duties to shareholders under state law.
- Ensuring that the records, or minutes of the Board’s actions during a Board meeting, reflect the proper exercise of those fiduciary duties.
- As a confidante and resource to the Board and senior management, providing advice and counsel on board responsibilities and logistics.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Manage all board and committee meeting logistics, attend and record minutes of all board and committee meetings; facilitate board communications.
- Advise the Board on its roles and responsibilities.
- Facilitate the orientation of new Directors and assist in Director training and development.
- Maintain key organization documents and records.
- Responsible for organization disclosure and compliance with state corporation laws.
- Manage process pertaining to the annual meeting of the organization.
- Monitor corporate governance developments and assist the Board in tailoring governance practices to meet the Board’s needs and Donor’s expectations;
- Serve as a focal point for Donor communication and engagement on organization governance issues.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
Master’s degree in international development, public administration, business administration, public policy or other relevant social sciences or comprehensive proven corporate management experience in large scale operations management.
- Minimum of 5 years full-time in relevant work experience.
- Thorough understanding of corporate and securities law.
- Excellent knowledge of performance of the legal system as it affects business.
- Strong familiarity with program administration software tools, methodologies, and best practices.
- Experience in managing complex or multiple projects in multi locations (different provinces), including staffing, workloads and finance under deadlines.
- Experience confidential information.
- Strong computer literacy especially Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word and Presentation Development.
- Experience working and communicating with a wide range of people.
- Experience in partnership development with non-profit partners, community groups and/or government agencies.
- Experience working in non-profit institutions of minimum 3 years would be an advantage.
Excellent written and verbal Bahasa Indonesia and English.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling EBF’s values and ethical standards.
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of EBF.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.