About Yayasan Mercy Corps Indonesia (YMCI)
YMCI (www.mercycorps.or.id/) is a registered non-profit organization in Indonesia, based in Jakarta, that provides humanitarian and development assistance throughout the country. YMCI mission is to empower people in Indonesia to become healthy, productive, and resilient communities. With funding from various donors, YMCI works together with communities to address poverty and financial inclusion, vulnerability to climate change and natural disaster, and to engage citizens across Indonesia. YMCI has collaborated with millions of people across Indonesia to support their efforts to build a better future, for themselves, their families and their communities.
YMCI is embarking on a journey toward its vision to be a leading Indonesian NGO in disaster risks reduction, climate change, and economic empowerment. With strong international affiliation, YMCI brings diverse and non-traditional partners who put together bold action and innovative solutions to development challenges as well as humanitarian situations affecting poor and vulnerable people in Indonesia.
Currently YMCI operates more like a regular country program of Mercy Corps where the vast majority of funding for programs and operations is through Mercy Corps Global (MCG) resources. Although YMCI has had some success to raise funding domestically, particularly for emergency response, resource mobilization activities are not done in systematic ways. YMCI is lagging behind its “competitors”, such as World Vision Indonesia and Save-the-Children Indonesia, in capitalizing domestic fundraising opportunities.
Therefore In order to operationalize the vision and to optimize its full potential as a local organization, a Business Plan for YMCI must be developed. As a guiding document, the Business Plan must present a clear case on the parameters, indicators and goals for achieving the vision, the strategy and plan to achieve the goals, the business and financial models, and the investment required. This involves providing a prospective financial outlook for the next five years which includes forecasted expenditure budgets with yearly projections and funding requests from Mercy Corps.
The business plan consultant supports and assists the YMCI SMT, YMCI Board and MCG Management in developing YMCI business plan, based on comprehension of the YMCI’s core operations, competitive advantages, and goals to provide direction on how to structure, run, and grow the business.
- Conduct a desk market analysis for the business’ core market, assess major trends affecting the business, in particular short-term and long-term fundraising outlook, and describe what impact these trends may have on the business
- Map out direct and indirect “competitors”, including potential future “competitors”, for existing and potential fundraising revenue channels
- Assist YMCI SMT, YMCI Board, and MCG Management in breaking down YMCI vision into more specific goals with measurable parameters and indicators, both financial and non-financial
- Facilitate discussions among YMCI SMT, YMCI Board, and MCG Management to develop visibility, communication and fundraising strategies in line with revenue channel projection
- Provide input to YMCI SMT, YMCI Board, and MCG Management on governance and organizational structure to align with the business plan strategy and ensure the health of the organization in the long-run
- Lead the development of a detailed financial analysis & modelling showing all of the assumptions, drivers, and financial statements for the next 3 – 5 years, accounting for a conservative, base, and aggressive scenario with the support from YMCI Finance Director
- Develop social business model canvas to visualize and test the organization business model and assumption.
Deliverables & Timeframe
Total effort required: max 20 person-days between December 2020 to March 2021.
|Deliverable||Est. LoE (person-day)||Timeline|
|Desk Market Analysis||3||14-25 Dec 2020|
|Competitor Landscape||3||21 Dec-8 Jan 2021|
|Business Plan Dashboard (Parameters, Goals/Targets)||3||11-22 Jan 2021|
|Facilitation on strategies & action plans on visibility, communication, fundraising & governance||4||25 Jan-19 Feb 2021|
|Financial Modelling (projected revenue by channel, investment/cost, and cash flow)||5||1-26 Feb 2021|
|YMCI Business Canvas||2||22 Feb-5 Mar 2021|
Skills and Qualifications
The ideal candidate should have excellent experiences in delivering successful business plans which guide international NGOs in Indonesia transitioned into local entities, combining the analytical abilities of a business/financial analyst with the broad vision of senior management to provide a roadmap to growth.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, operations, economics, or related analytical discipline with proven experience equivalent to business schools’ education. Non-profit Management degree or MBA degree is an advantage.
- Financial management experience. 3+ years of financial modelling, planning, forecasting, and business analysis; prior experience as an advisor to or executive at an early-stage social enterprise a plus
- Experience in senior management of non-profit or social enterprises with an annual portfolio at least $3 million
- Advanced Data Processing Excel proficiency. 5+ years of practical experience of using Excel for building and maintaining financial models
- Proficiency with analytical and presentation tools (Excel pivot tables, graphing, PowerPoint, et)
- A natural curiosity and a “big picture” mentality
- Experience conducting non-profit market research, including analyzing and synthesizing desk research
- An understanding of non-profit marketing channels and go-to-market strategies
- Proficiency in formal spoken and written Bahasa Indonesia and English
- Excellent communication and facilitation skills.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
YMCI team members, including consultants, are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Travel and Working Conditions
A combination of remote and ground work (in Jakarta) and on a part-time basis are required. Number of consultancy days to be clarified in a work plan submitted by the consultant and agreed with the Executive Director of YMCI.
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
YMCI is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have sustained global impact.
We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
How To Apply
Interested candidates shall email their application and CV, to email@example.com with subject “Consultant – YMCI Business Plan Development Support” by 25 November 2020 the latest. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.