USAID’s Momentum Private Healthcare Delivery (MPHD)’s goal is to support the Government of Indonesia to enhance the engagement and effectiveness of the private healthcare sector as a sustainable approach to providing quality maternal and newborn health (MNH) services and contribute to reduced rates of maternal and newborn deaths in Indonesia in urban and peri-urban areas in North Sumatra, Banten, DKI Jakarta, East Java, South Sulawesi, by:
- Improving the quality of MNH services provided by private healthcare providers.
- Improving policies and regulations that enable private sector engagement.
- Increasing the number of districts with private and public sector health systems linked and integrated.
MPHD seeks an external consultant with extensive experience with private health sector qualitative and quantitative research to do a time bound desk review, data collection and stakeholder interviews with key private and public health sector stakeholders in Indonesia for the “private led QI model” being piloted by MPHD. The Private Sector led QI Model involves private hospitals functioning as QI mentors (Hermina Group) providing QI mentoring support and services to other private hospitals (mentee hospitals – within and outside the Hermina Group) to improve their quality systems and process, as a pay for service model. It is envisioned that a QI Coordination Unit (this is likely to be located in the private hospital association, ARSSI) will act as the overall private sector led QI coordinator to build the capacity of future QI mentors, generate demand from private hospitals and coordinate with the MOH, accreditation agencies and other government entities as needed to ensure alignment with national accreditation and quality standards. Learning from this one-year pilot will inform the development of the model, including its service offerings, roles and motivations of key stakeholders and viability of the business model (e.g. resource planning for the QI mentor agency, pricing structure for QI mentees, etc.).
Scope of Work
The proposed scope of work for the consultant will be broadly divided across three key areas:
Overall stakeholder engagement and coordination
- Develop the methodology and strategy for engaging with key stakeholders across Hermina Group, Mentee Hospitals and ARSSI
- Engage and work with research associates to undertake the primary and secondary data collection and analysis in alignment with MPHD requirements.
- Analyze the results from the primary and secondary research to inform Private led QI model design, potential viability and next steps.
- Identify and find relevant documents for the desk review process focusing on three key aspects:
- Specific regulations mandated by MOH that might impact Private led QI model
- Financial interventions, policies and innovations required to support the implementation of private led QI
- Barriers to implement the private led QI in the view of mentee and mentor hospitals
- Assess and document the extent to which the existing initiatives have achieved their outputs and contributed to its intended outcomes including programmatic and national priorities and their relevance to MPHD.
- Write the key findings from the desk review including lessons learned, challenges and best practices in MPHD context.
Key Informant Interviews
- Along with MPHD, co-develop the MPHD interview guide for the key informants’ interviews focusing on three key stakeholder groups – mentor hospital, mentee hospital and ARSSI.
- Develop KII participant list across these three stakeholder groups in collaboration with MPHD.
- Conduct key informant interviews and small group discussions (if needed) with select participants in collaboration with MPHD and Pak Riza (as deemed necessary based on synergies)
- Provide highlights/key findings in English on a daily basis.
- Based on the findings of the desk review and key informant interviews, undertake the analysis of data collected to generate targeted qualitative and quantitative insights across multiple parameters including – enabling factors for mentors and mentee hospitals, cost effectiveness of QI model, enhanced understanding of the packaging of QI modules.
- Along with MPHD, identify policy gaps and frame recommendations to strengthen the overall enabling policy environment for private led QI initiative.
- Along with MPHD, support the secondary analysis of the clinical data gathered from the mentee hospitals (APKK scores, POCQI milestone, AMPSR results, other outcome indicators)
- Work with MPHD and consultants to formulate recommendations that can be applied to Private Led QI Model in line with the program design and potential strategies.
- Write overall report of results from KIIs and small group discussions.
|1. Overall Stakeholder Engagement & Coordination||PowerPoint Presentation and Excel Workbook|
|2. Desk Review||Key findings report / PowerPoint Presentation|
|3. Key Informant Interviews||Daily brief notes, recording|
|4. Data Analysis||Word Report / PowerPoint Presentation / MS Excel|
|5. Write report||PowerPoint Presentation|
- Master’s degree in a suitable social scientific discipline
- Extensive experience in qualitative & quantitative research
- Vast knowledge of the private healthcare sector in Indonesia
- Excellent communication skills especially with policy makers/stakeholders at national level
- Experience collecting, analyzing and contextualizing qualitative private healthcare and MNCH data.
- Ability to speak and write in both English and Bahasa Indonesia
- Ability to work in a complex environment with multiple tasks, short deadlines and pressure to perform.
- Ability and willingness to travel to province as needed
Jakarta (Travel required to Kota Makassar, South Sulawesi and Kota Medan, North Sumatera for stakeholder engagement)
How to Apply
Please submit your application of interest, CV and budget/fee proposal to the following email address: IndonesiaHumanResources@jhpiego.org with subject as per position. Only those selected for interview will be contacted.