Mercy Corps Indonesia is part of the global Mercy Corps family, a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
The Investing in Human Capital for Disaster Management (INVEST DM) 2.0 program in Indonesia commenced on May 17, 2021. INVEST DM 2.0 builds upon the achievements of the USAID/BHA Technical Assistance and training teams (TATTs) program (2014-2019) and the first phase of the INVEST DM program (May 2019-Jan 2021). Program assistance is focused on the national level, with many of the interventions expected to flow down for sub-national uptake. It directly supports the Government of Indonesia (GOI) National Disaster Management Agency (BNPB) in building the capability of its workforce (bureaucratic reforms and capacity building) and national DM capacity through education and training initiatives and improved systems and strategies. These will contribute to strengthened sub-national DRM institutions and people at key administrative levels who will be better equipped and able to fulfill their mandate to deliver effective DRM services and save lives.
INVEST DM 2.0 takes a consortium approach to program implementation with Mercy Corps as prime and implementing partners are Yayasan Mercy Corps Indonesia (YMCI) and University of Hawaii (UoH). This partnership has built a strong collaboration with the Government of Indonesia (GoI) on key aspects of organizational and workforce capacity building, education and training, and policy and planning in DRM across the different governing layers.
The program works with BNPB counterpart technical units to deliver advisory support and technical assistance, tailored to research, improving and/or supporting the establishment of, implementing, and measurement of organizational development initiatives to upskill and professional the workforce to achieve a high-performance culture. This will be achieved through supporting BNPBs reform agenda of organizational development and change management for civil servants.
In maximizing the role and functions in providing DM training, Pusdiklat PB has obtained accreditation from State Administration Agency (LAN) in 2016 which allowed Pusdiklat PB to conduct an accreditation for the training of DM institutions. However, in conducting the accreditation Pusdidklat use the accreditation guidelines based on the LAN regulation number 25 the year 2015 on Accreditation Guideline of Pusdilat PB with the aims to ensure the quality of Training and Education (Diklat) of DM professionals which carried out through evaluation series such as from institutional elements, educators, curriculum development, training facilities and quality assurance. The accreditation of the DM training centre through Pusdiklat was conducted to ensure quality assurance of DM training centre so the training participants receive skills and competencies based on the skills required by DM professionals with relevant DM courses such as basic DM, risk DM management, disaster and preparedness.
In assisting the training implementation in capacity development of DM professionals, BNPB prioritizing the program by promoting the accreditation of DM training institutions, these can be viewed by the existence of accredited DM training institutions in assisting human resource development of DM institutions under the management of BNPB or other relevant institutions such as Human Resource Development Agency (BPSDM), etc. However, accreditation efforts have been done with the aims address resources gaps at BNPB by providing an online accreditation platform or Siakang (https://siakang.bnpb.go.id/) as a step of expanding the access of DM training institutions for accreditation. The Utilization of Siakang at Pusdiklat is not only will expand the reach out of DM training institutions that will be accredited but also will assist the external DM bodies to receive accessible accreditation by establishing a coordination mechanism for training both online and in-person training to assist the training activities conducted effectively and efficiently meet the training objectives according to the skills and competency needed by DM actors in Indonesia.
Purpose / Project Description:
The purpose of this program are to improve accreditation of DM training institutions at Pusdiklat PB with aims to assist their performance in conducting accreditation mechanism for DM training institutions in Indonesia. This activity is relevant with output 1.2 on Pusdiklat has implemented the training provider accreditation mechanism and its service delivery accelerated by developing and implementing appropriate Disaster Management (DM) certified in-service training and pre-service education pathways for the workforce across BNPB.
The overall objective of the consultancy assignment is to support the program and activities of output 1.2 in assisting the Pusdiklat to implement a training provider accreditation mechanism by developing SOPs, conduct training need assessment for the assessors, conduct trainings and coaching to improving the Pusdiklat staffs’ skill and knowledge on the DM institutions accreditation as well as organise exchange learning to numerous DM agencies such as LAN, BSN, KAN and other related accreditation institutions in Indonesia.
The consultant will assist Pusdiklat PB and INVEST DM team in the preparation and implementation of the capacity development and training for accreditation at Pusdiklat BNPB.
The Consultant shall conduct the following activities which are relevant with the activity of output 1.2; these include:
- Assist the capacity development of the assessor at Pusdiklat PB to support the accreditation process via the online accreditation platform (SiAkang).
- Review the existing accreditation process and system, including developing the SOP/Juklak/Juknis of Siakang
- Organize comparative study visits to LAN, BSN, KAN, and other related accreditation institutions
- Develop operational guidance on accreditation and provide coaching of Pusdiklat staff to carry out accreditation.
- Evaluate the implementation of accreditation systems at Pusdiklat BNPB.
The Consultant will produce the following major outputs, these are:
- Report on capacity building activities (such as training and coaching) for Pusdiklat’s assessors.
- Report on the study visit to LAN, BSN, KAN, and other related accreditation institutions in Indonesia.
- Report on review outcome of existing accreditation services at Pusdiklat.
- Develop SOP which will be used by Pusdiklat’s assessors for accreditation of DM institutions in Indonesia.
Timeframe / Schedule:
The consultancy will commence from mid of November 2021 until February 2022. This assignment is conducted to assist the implementation output 1.2 activities in strengthening the accreditation mechanism of Pusdiklat BNPB with the following activities and timeline as follows.
- Assessment and capacity development for assessors at Pusdiklat PB
- Review of the existing accreditation system at Pusdiklat
- Study visits to the accreditation bodies such as LAN, BSN, and KAN
- Develop SOP/Juklak/Juknis of Accreditation system at Pusdiklat PB.
The Consultant will report to:
Program Manager Outcome 1, VET and Training Coordinator of INVEST DM 2.0
The Consultant will work closely with:
Pusdiklat PB, VET and Training Coordinator, DCOP of INVEST DM 2.0
Required Experience & Skills:
The selection criteria to assess the technical capacity of the consultants includes the following criteria.
- Master’s degree in education, social science, and other related disciplines.
- At least 5-10 years of relevant experience leading the capacity development and training program for the government and private sectors.
- Extensive knowledge of training and accreditation as well as program evaluation.
- Having a strong background working in accreditation topics with training centers, LAN, BSN, KAN, or other relevant training institutions.
- Self-starter with a proven track record of delivering high-quality training and capacity development with deliverables on time
- Strong knowledge about accreditation system for DM training institutions is highly desirable
- Knowledge of the Pusdiklat PB and LAN training standards, understanding of gender equality and social inclusion concepts and approaches is advantageous.
- Having experience in conducting offline and online accreditation is highly desired.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with diverse stakeholders from government, ministry, and NGOs.
- Experience working with the government agencies such as ministries and BNPB in training and capacity development of assessor review and enhancement is preferred.
- Strong (written and oral) comments of English and Bahasa Indonesia including report writing and editing.
How to Apply:
Prospective candidates shall email application letter outlining the relevant experiences in conducting capacity development and training, accreditation for training institutions, curriculum vitae, and price quotation to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than November 25th, 2021 with the subject line: “Capacity Development on Training Accreditation”. Only candidates who meet the required qualifications and experiences will be contacted.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics
Mercy Corps Indonesia team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our stakeholders and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MCI’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
 Regulation of the Head of State Administration Agency (LAN) No. 25/2015 on Accreditation Guidelines for Government Training and Education Center, article 7.