Position: Consultant on Indonesia’s Energy Policy and Investment (within IISD’s Energy Program, based in Indonesia)
A half-time equivalent consultancy for six months with the potential for extension. Please apply by 17 December 2017.
International Institute for Sustainable Development and the Position Background
The International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD) is one of the world’s leading centres of policy research and innovation. The Institute provides practical solutions to the growing challenges and opportunities of integrating environmental and social priorities with economic development. We report on international negotiations and share knowledge gained through collaborative projects, resulting in more rigorous research, stronger global networks, and better engagement among researchers, citizens, businesses and policy-makers. IISD’s Energy Program (www.iisd.org/energy) has three pillars that all focus on policy and investment decisions:
- Energy subsidies, based around IISD’s Global Subsidies Initiative (http://www.iisd.org/gsi/);
- Policies and investment for sustainable energy supplies that are beneficial for the society while being safe for human health, the environment and climate;
- Policies for climate change mitigation.
This position will support mainly the first two pillars of the Energy Program. In Indonesia, this program has largely focused to date on the creation of knowledge and dialogue on how to sustainably reform fossil fuel consumer subsidies, particularly measures to mitigate negative impacts of reform on vulnerable groups. We have worked in close collaboration with both government offices (including Bappenas, Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources, Ministry of Environment, Ministry of Finance, National Energy Council, TNP2K) and research organizations (Center for Industry, SME and Business Competition Studies (CISBUCS) at the University of Trisakti, Faculty of Economics and Businesses (P2EB) in the University of Gadjah Mada (UGM), the Indonesian Clean Energy Development (ICED-USAID) program, SMERU Institute, the Institute for Essential Services Reform (IESR), the Indonesian Institute for Energy Economics (IIEE), the Habibie Center, the Centre for Energy Research Asia (CERA) and Yayasan Lembaga Konsumen Indonesia (YLKI). Over the next six months, the Consultant’s work will include collaboration with existing and potential new partners based in Indonesia to promote policy change supporting transitions to sustainable energy.
The Consultant is expected to support research projects in close coordination with IISD colleagues and partner organisations. The Consultant will conduct discrete parts of research and liaise with IISD partners in Indonesia, supporting publications, communications and events as outlined below.
- Research. The Consultant will undertake both qualitative and quantitative research as well as expert interviews to assess the economic, social, health and environmental impacts of the existing and proposed policies (subsidies, taxes, regulations and others) related to fossil fuel and renewable energy. This work is expected to result in reports, articles and policy briefs for publication by the IISD in English and Bahasa Indonesia. The resulting publications will include reports, articles, policy briefs, blogs. Publications of papers in peer-reviewed journals are welcome, but are not part of the terms of reference for this position.
- Communications and events. The position would also require the Consultant to prepare IISD events, to liaise with IISD partners and media in close coordination with other IISD colleagues. The Consultant will be developing, to high publishable quality, a wide range of communication and presentational material (infographics, brochures, PowerPoint, Prezi, other) to advance the Energy Program’s policy-oriented communications in Indonesia via various channels including business and environmental media (print, online, television) as well as social media.
- Meetings. The Consultant will participate regularly in team meetings and strategy sessions to coordinate activities, contribute ideas and execute on new initiatives. The Consultant will be involved in collaborations of IISD with its partners. S/he is expected to take an entrepreneurial approach to projects.
- Other duties as assigned, for example, collaborations with other IISD Programs.
Below is a list of the skills that will be advantageous for the position. A successful applicant is expected to possess most of these skills.
- Proved record of excellent writing skills (ideally publications) with respect to analysis of policy issues for different audiences, in both English and Bahasa Indonesia, for both technical and non-technical outlets. Please note that IISD has zero-tolerance towards plagiarism and has safeguards against it;
- Knowledge and professional experience. It will be considered an advantage if candidates can demonstrate:
- Experience working on fiscal, industrial, energy, climate or health policies and energy investment issues in Indonesia and in other developing and emerging economies;
- A strong understanding of the Indonesian policy-making environment;
- An understanding of energy and health sector finance in Indonesia;
- Practical knowledge of approaches to structural economic reforms including political economy aspects, social protection/safety net reform for lower-income groups, complementary policies and structural adjustment for industries;
- Familiarity with sustainable development and climate policy theory and current agenda.
- Research and technical skills. It will be considered an advantage if candidates can demonstrate experience in:
- Quantitative research methods: energy economics and cash flow analysis of energy projects, economic modeling, poverty and social impact assessments, impact analysis;
- Qualitative research methods: stakeholder mapping, political economy analysis, the design of questionnaires and methods for structuring and facilitating discussions among different ministries or non-government stakeholders;
- Communication skills: fluency in interacting with different audiences; understanding the needs and interests of different audiences and media resources; experience preparing presentations, infographics, social media and other communication materials;
- An existing network of contacts of value to IISD and excellent networking skills. It will be considered a further advantage if candidates possess fundraising and proposal writing skills;
- Excellent organizational and planning skills;
- Ability to work autonomously, managing workload and producing deliverables to time and to budget;
- Results-focus, ability to prioritize and to work quickly and accurately, with flexibility to take on tasks ranging from highly complex to basic in nature.
Applicants should possess the following qualifications:
- A minimum of a Master’s degree in energy, economics, social science, politics, environment, or an interdisciplinary program or equal;
- A minimum of two years relevant work experience, preferably working in international organizations or think tanks, government or the energy sector, in Indonesia;
- Availability to travel nationally, and potentially internationally as required;
- Excellent English-language written and spoken (our working language is English);
- Excellent Bahasa Indonesia – written and spoken;
- Computer and Internet skills (including Excel, PowerPoint, Word, social media).
- Indonesian nationality, Indonesian residence or work permit is required.
Terms of Consultancy:
This is a half-time equivalent consultancy for six months with the potential for extension. Remuneration will depend on experience.
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Application deadline: 17 December 2017
Start date: indicatively 15 January 2018