Vital Strategies is working to strengthen the local evidence needed to inform public policy to improve air quality for children’s health and well-being. Vital Strategies is seeking a qualified consultant to support the development of an Investment Case for air quality initiatives in Indonesia. Core components of this work involve 1) the investigation of the health and economic burden of air pollution in Indonesia, and 2) the comparison of various policy scenarios to promote clean air, to inform the prioritization and ‘packaging’ of feasible and cost-effective clean air interventions to be implemented by government and civil society.
This project requires active stakeholder (government and non-government) engagement, as well as the compilation and management of health, demographic and environmental data related to air quality and its impacts, sourced primarily from the Government of Indonesia. Prior experience in air pollution epidemiology, environmental economics, and/or working and coordinating with the Government of Indonesia is highly desirable.
The candidate will be hired as a Vital Strategies consultant for a 6-month term with possibility of extension. He/she is expected to spend 2 or more days each week within the offices of UNICEF and/or national government ministries; but may be allowed to work remotely a few times a week as well. Promising candidates will be interviewed in March, with an anticipated start date in April 2020.
• Lead the coordination and management for all activities pertaining to the project
• With technical support from Vital Strategies, compile relevant aggregate heath (mortality and morbidity), population data, and economic data for Indonesia needed to inform the economic burden and policy analyses, including direct and indirect (e.g., due to lost productivity) costs of air pollution-related illnesses and death
• Convene relevant stakeholder and planning sessions in Jakarta to solicit input on air pollution control policy options to be reviewed during this analysis
• Obtain technical expertise and program guidance from technical specialists in Vital Strategies and elsewhere and conduct data collection, management and analysis using modeling and statistical software
• Support data analysis using health impact and econometric tools to arrive at impacts, costs and benefits associated with baseline and a variety of air pollution control policy scenarios
• Support analysis using statistical software/models to estimate emissions and dispersion of air pollutants under various policy scenarios
• Engage with stakeholders from government, academic institutions and civil society to form valuable partnerships that will enhance the outcome of the project
• Work closely with Vital Strategies staff, partners, and key stakeholders in Jakarta, on communications activities pertaining to the project
• Develop a final report for the project
The Ideal Candidate:
• Is bilingual in English and Bahasa
• Has at least 5+ years working experience
• Earned a degree in environmental engineering, environmental economics, environmental/air pollution epidemiology, or related field, and/or relevant applied expertise
• Is experienced in working and coordinating with Indonesian government partners
• Demonstrates familiarity with and/or interest in methods and tools (e.g., LEAP-IBC, BenMAP) for assessing the health and economic impacts of policy scenarios to improve air quality. Solid quantitative skills, including applied experience in cost-benefit, cost-effectiveness, or other relevant health investment case analyses, are preferred
• Possesses excellent interpersonal and presentation skills, including ability to communicate and advocate the project effectively to technical and non-technical audiences, develop partnerships, including with government partners and data providers
• Pays attention to detail
• Has the demonstrated ability to take initiative, work independently, and make sound, informed decisions
• Works effectively in a team
• Has some experience in data management (e.g. in MS Excel, Access) and statistical analysis (e.g. SPSS, R)
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, including compensation expectations, and CV to email@example.com. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The position is open until filled.
- Salary Offer USD 2,666.00 per month