Working in 30+ countries globally, Conservation International (CI) Foundation is a non-profit organization committed to empowering societies to responsibly and sustainably care for nature for the good of humanity. We are constantly growing and expanding into areas new and old. We are currently looking to fill the following position for our office in Jakarta:
Economic Development Specialist for SEA/KLHS-West Papua Spatial Planning
Conservation International (CI) is just awarded a project called Mitigation, Adaptation through Conservation and Sustainable Livelihoods in Indonesia’s Peat and Mangrove Ecosystems funded under International Climate Initiative (IKI). Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU). The project will increase climate change resilience of highly vulnerable communities and biodiversity, while substantially mitigating GHG emissions in Indonesia by accelerating large-scale conservation and effective management of peat and mangrove ecosystems (PMEs). In the priority regions of West Papua and North Sumatra, the project will identify sustainable economic solutions (such as crab fisheries, non-timber forest products, paludiculture) to conserve PMEs that are critical for adaptation while building alternative livelihoods.
The PME project will support the national and West Papua Provincial Governments in developing the Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA/KLHS) for revision Provincial Spatial Plan as an environmental, economic and social safeguard instrument that will provide stakeholders legal means to review and revise business-as-usual land use and development policies, plans and programs.
The SEA is a legally mandatory safeguard mechanism for local governments to assess policies, plans and programs (Article 15, Law no. 32/2009 on Environmental Protection and Management).
The project will work closely with BLHD, Bappeda, Balitbangda, ATR, and Forestry office, and district governments.
The Economic Development Specialist contributes to identify key stakeholders particularly for economy development, consolidate support from key stakeholders, develop POKJA capacity on policy and legal aspects related to economic development and spatial planning with the following details:
Milestone 1: Screening and Preparation – Develop Working Groups and Work Plan
- Analyse and review the potential direct, indirect and cumulative effects of current policies programs and plans to West Papua’s forest and sustainable development. This will include the proposal land use plan (pola ruang, RKTP, RZWP3K), infrastructure and priorities of program in province planning RTRW, mid-term development plan, Annual Government Development Plan (RKPD), Provincial Forest Plan (RKTP),
- Set-up Task Force (SKPD) representing key agencies, Technical Working Group (POKJA) for economic development for people who will conduct the SEA and a Multi Stakeholder Forum (MSF) to engage the broader stakeholders in the province.
- Provide a methodological approach related to studies on investments and its components on the macroeconomic and sectorial levels with coordination with relevant entities;
- Socialize SEA and spatial planning concept for sustainable economic development to stakeholders;
- Train POKJA/working group with sustainable economic development concept, and sustainable growth theory
- Participating development of SEA Work Plan and conduct screening phase.
Milestone 2: Scoping – Review Current Situation and Development of Technical Capacity of POKIA
A key focus of this milestone is to review current situation of the regional economic development including the challenges of economic development in the Districts with PME resource with the following details:
- Review province development priorities in treaties, MoUs, legislation, policy, plans and programs (PPP), their implications for sustainable economic development of the provinces as envisioned in existing Plans (Long-Term Development Plan (RPJP, Provinsi Konservasi), Medium-Term Development Plan (RPJM) and the land use Plans (RTRW, RKTP), Action Plans (RAN/RAD-GRK), etc), and existing spatial plan.
- Review and analyse the baseline situation of West Papua Forest resources Include information on the following:
- Review the sustainable development visions, objectives, targets, development plan, and indicators and its implementation.
- Analysis of current economic development situation against sustainability principle including condition and trend of following key aspects: growth, poverty, job creation, equality, resources sustainability, investment, government budget and program, trade balance, etc.
- Evaluate the framework of general state budget’s project considering the developmental priorities and directions;
- Assess financing gaps for strategic development priorities to be assessed and addressed during the course of the SEA including PME conservation and management.
- Train POKJA on technical aspects related to the strategic issues with economic development in conducting a SEA;
Milestone 3: Analysis and Recommendation – Technical analysis, Formulation of alternative options and draft recommendations
- Develop projection of business as usual development scenario of the target indicators
- Develop economic development scenario and investment strategy in related with sustainable development Province visions (Provinsi Konservasi) with considering spatial plan and sustainable uses of forest resources and PME scenario for timber suitability, agroforestry, recreation and road development, silvo-pasture, silvo-fisheries, non-timber forest products, biodiversity resources, etc.
- Assess innovative finance mechanisms (impact investment, carbon finance, PES, Ecotourism, etc) to implement sustainable development include trade-offs between various mitigation and alternative strategies using relevant technical approach.
- Formulate plans, recommendations, and policies to solve various economic problems and sustainability
- Streamline the economic development scenario with draft revision of spatial and land use plans (RTRW, pola ruang, RKTP, RZWP3K, RPHJP)
Milestone 4: Final Drafting
- Contribute to develop SEA Final Drafting for the province
TIMELINE: This Consultancy Work will be effectively from December 2019 to January 2020.
- Applicant is required to submit a more detailed indicative project time-line in the proposal that will achieve the milestones against targeted timeline.
- Applicant is welcome to propose modified milestones that support the achievement of SEA objectives and deliverables in an efficient and effective manner.
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATION:
- 5 years ++ Expertise on wide range of the regional economy and sustainability.
- Experience in conducting and facilitating Provincial government and providing success recommendation is an advantage.
- Have a good understanding of environmental regulations relating to land use planning;
- Project experience in West Papua or Papua is an advantage;
- An advance in English (Speaking, Reading, and Writing) is an advantage;
- Computer literate in words and excel.
<re-advertised-KLHS-Economist> – <your name>