The Zoological Society of London is an international wildlife conservation organization with a focus on science-based and pragmatic solutions. ZSL has been active in Indonesia for about 10 years, with a particular focus on the overlap between industrial development and biodiversity conservation. ZSL’s Indonesia is based in Bogor, West Java, with existing field projects in Jambi and South Sumatera.We are now looking for:
COMMUNITY OUTREACH & AWARENESS TEAM LEADER
Terms and Condition
Start Date : November, 2017
Duration of Contract : One year fix- term Contract, with potential to extend
Work Area : The Community Outreach & Awareness Team Leader will be based in
Palembang, South Sumatera
Hours of Work : Monday to Friday from 09.00 am up to 05.00 pm
Reporting to : Community Sector Manager
Key Purpose of the Job
The Community Outreach and Awareness Team Leader will work primarily in local communities to raise awareness about sustainable landscape and the role of community in achieving the goal of UKCCU programs. The Team leader is responsible to help build the capacity of the communities and to improve community knowledge and increase program participation.
This position is part of the UKCCU/NICFI Project staffing in South Sumatra.
The UKCCU/NICFI Project works with the Government of South Sumatra, national and district level governments, communities and the private sector to facilitate and support the government, private sector and local communities to establish and pilot the sustainable landscape management partnership approach in the Sembilang-Dangku landscape of South Sumatra. The proposed impact of this project is to achieve “Inclusive economic growth and community prosperity, biodiversity conservation, forest protection and restoration, and the ending of deforestation, peatland drainage and wildfires that reduces land-based GHG emissions”.
1. Develop seminars and educational workshops addressing the identified needs of the community
2. Develop and facilitate relationships between relevant community stakeholders to manage the
implementation of selected projects
3. Develop and maintain productive relationships with various stakeholder groups
4. Develop and maintain relations with a broad cross section of the community and coordinate
communication and information flow to stakeholders
5. Organize and coordinate, with other local interested groups, a volunteer task force to assist
6. Organize community meetings and events
7. Create flyers, press releases & other outreach material as required
8. Develop and maintain relations with media and negotiate pricing for promotional package
9. Write newspaper columns and create advertisements for both print and radio venues
10. Supervise two team members who will assist in the duties listed above
The job requires continued professional internal and external interaction/ communications, both in person and via phone and email
The position will require close attention to detail in all aspect of the project and therefore concentration on the work in hand – precision and accuracy being vital attributes.
The position will be relatively routine in terms of day-to-day tasks during office hours – however sometimes
e.g. during field trips or when a workshop is being organized the next day, some flexibility in working hours may be required.
Expectations of Job Holder
• To ensure that the policy for equality of opportunity is adhered to and promoted in all
aspects of the post holder’s work.
• To ensure effective quality control and continuous improvement in all aspects of the work and
responsibilities attached to this post.
• Demonstrate professionalism towards sensitive and confidential information.
• To comply with and promote Health and Safety policies and procedures and to undertake
recommended Health and Safety training as and when necessary.
• To be committed to professional self-development, through participation in in-service training
as necessary for the successful carrying out of the job.
• To undertake such other duties as are commensurate with the grade of the post.
NB: This job description is designed to outline a range of main duties that may be encountered. It is not designed to be an exhaustive list of tasks and can be varied in consultation with the post holder in order to reflect changes in the job or the organisation.
A. Qualifications & Experience
1. Minimum Bachelor degree in public policy, communications, international relations or
2. Minimum 5 years successful experience working in similar position with an international NGO
3. Proven experience in project management, managing community relations, ideally within the
context of a developing country.
4. Demonstrated strong familiarity with development projects in Indonesia.
5. Experience in formal and/or informal teaching, preparing and facilitating workshops; previous
experience managing volunteers or organizing volunteer groups and activities
6. Previous work (directly or indirectly) with Government of Indonesia Institutions would also be
a strong advantage.
1. Solid understanding of Indonesian Government systems, regulations and approaches.
2. Excellent understanding of the work and procedures of the Government of Indonesia
C. Skills & Abilities
1. Good level of competence in MS Office
2. Good level of data reporting and analytics competencies (content knowledge)
3. Good communications and conflict resolution skills
4. Self starter, pro-active and uses initiative – can work independently and prioritize own work
5. Preferably a high level of written and spoken English;
6. Flexible and able to work under pressure and often to tight deadlines; including an ability to
7. Highly motivated.
8. Willing to work at any circumstances both independently or in a group, such as in remote areas
with very limited facilities.
9. Able to deal with tight schedule and unscheduled tasks, and target oriented
10. Willing to travel extensively across the project sites in Indonesia