The Community Development Coordinator will help communities to bring about social change and improve the quality of life in their local area. You might work with individuals, families and whole communities to empower them to (i) identify their assets, needs, opportunities, rights and responsibilities, (ii) plan what they want to achieve and take appropriate action and (iii) develop activities and services to generate aspiration and confidence. As a community development worker, you’ll act as the link between communities and a range of other local authority and stakeholders.
- To assume primary responsibility for coordinating local community (development) related activities within BNF’s Rungan River Conservation Programme, including developing, planning, implementing and reporting on such activities, and supervising others working on such activities under your management.
- To lead field initiatives with the aim of understanding local community condition/perspectives, needs and aspirations, and (overcoming) barriers to achieving these; to enhance local community capacity to advocate for and claim their rights to forest management; and to develop alternative sustainable livelihood initiatives compatible with local needs and forest management rights.
- To implement and coordinate field activities in relation to Tasks 1-2, including but not limited to:
- Facilitating community meetings, and community forum development;
- Conducting Participatory Rural Appraisals and community mapping initiatives;
- Conducting training sessions, leading training workshops and providing/obtaining technical assistance where needed;
- Facilitating creation and supporting development of community teams working on advocacy and sustainable livelihood initiatives;
- Facilitating inclusion of local communities as a key driving voice in the Palangka Raya Multi-Stakeholder Forum for Rungan landscape conservation; and
- Facilitating (advocacy) meetings and development of agreements between local communities, government and other relevant external stakeholders.
- To compile data relating to the above, including on implementation of field activities, and store these data in appropriate databases; to contribute towards internal and external reporting on RRCP progress, including popular and technical publications; and to contribute towards external communications on the above, including providing material for the BNF website, social media and press releases.
- To ensure effective internal administration and management of RRCP community development activities, including maintaining an record accurate record of project-related expenditure and submitting reports to the BNF financial team each month; that all relevant BNF health and safety, anti-discrimination and other procedures are followed; that all BNF equipment is properly handled and stored; that all activities are implemented in coordination with relevant members of other BNF teams where relevant; and ensuring that any team members under your supervision do the same.
- Prior training & minimum 2 years’ experience in Community Development
- Excellent communication and team work skills
- Computer skills – word processing, internet.
- University degree in a relevant subject.
- Good language (verbal and written communication) skills – Bahasa Indonesia and English
Adjusted for qualifications and work experience.