Hi! We’re The Reef-World Foundation: a registered UK charity which delivers practical solutions for marine conservation around the world. In partnership with the UN Environment, we are the international coordinator of the Green Fins initiative, which aims to protect and conserve coral reefs through environmentally friendly guidelines that promote a sustainable diving and snorkelling tourism industry.
Our work involves supporting, inspiring and empowering governments, businesses, communities and individuals around the world to act in conserving and sustainably developing coral reefs and other coastal resources. We’re currently looking for a Communications Officer to support our Comms Manager and help maximise the reach of our conservation message. You’ll have some social media, marketing or copywriting experience and a passion to help make a tangible difference to our global marine conservation work.
Dumaguete City, Philippines (opportunity to work for up to 3 months from home / another country after 6 months based in the Philippines)
10,000 GBP per annum. (~₱650,000 PHP / $13,600 USD dependent on experience)
Length of employment:
Permanent following a 3-month probationary period.
Start date: 22 March 2021
The Reef-World Foundation is recognised as the leading voice on sustainability solutions for the marine tourism industry. Through its flagship initiative, Green Fins, Reef-World drives sustainable behaviours for environmental protection by providing low-cost and practical solutions to local and industry-wide environmental challenges associated with the marine tourism industry. As a key member of the Communications team, you will be helping to protect one of the world’s most valuable ecosystems – coral reefs – by raising awareness of environmental best practice and driving sustainability across the global marine tourism industry.
A highly organised and motivated Communications Officer with excellent time management skills is needed to support the Communications Manager in empowering more individuals and organisations to take action for marine protection around the world. You’ll be working across a range of communications channels to inspire, educate and influence governments, businesses, communities and individuals around the world to adopt sustainable behaviours. The Communications Officer will be passionate about protecting coral reefs and the incredible marine life they support because of their ecological value as well as for the benefit of local communities, visitors and future generations.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
As our Communications Officer, you will directly support our Communications Manager and will be responsible for tasks such as:
PR and marketing
- Supporting the Communications Manager with stakeholder engagement, public relations, digital and communication campaigns to engage a range of audiences across a diverse set of geographies and platforms;
- Supporting the Communications Manager with content creation and the collection of footage and case studies in the field as needed;
- Supporting in the promotion and marketing of projects and delivery of communications commitments in collaboration with the Communications Manager;
- Liaising with journalists and bloggers to secure positive, on-message press coverage for the charity;
- Acting as one of the communications contacts for outreach partners (press and media), Green Fins partners (dive and snorkel operators and dive professionals), general public (individuals) and partners (corporate) to enable effective communication;
- Supporting the Communications Manager in the development of Reef-World’s Annual Report;
- Alongside the wider Reef-World team, representing Reef-World at conferences, dive and travel shows, and international conservation events;
- Maintaining the Reef-World media database;
- Searching for, recording and evaluating press coverage; and:-
- Providing support to comms interns and volunteers where necessary.
Material and content development
- Supporting in the development of marketing materials
- Working with other members of the communications and design team to produce new, manage current and oversee production of marketing, outreach and capacity building materials associated with Reef-World projects (e.g. Green Fins materials) including overseeing the translation processes for existing items;
- Creating and updating posters, logos, fact sheets, maps, infographics and other marketing materials and assets to help educate and empower dive operators, tourists, governments and corporate partners to reduce their environmental impact and protect coral reefs
- Overseeing design collateral for conferences, dive and travel shows and international conservation events;
- Supporting the Comms Manager in the development of website, video and blog content
- Ensuring all content is on-brand and consistent in terms of style, quality and tone of voice as outlined by the branding guidelines; and:-
- Maintaining branded document templates for Reef-World and Green Fins.
Social media and website management
- Day-to-day management of the Reef-World and Green Fins social media channels: preparing editorial calendars and responding to / engaging with posts;
- Developing social media content and editorial calendars;
- Collecting testimonials from dive centre members in the field as needed;
- Successfully using insights to improve reach and engagement across channels;
- Writing regular promotional content, such as newsletters and blogs, and being responsible for uploading these to the websites and/or sending to our network of stakeholders;
- Supporting the team with website management;
- Sourcing and managing photos, logos and other assets for the website and social media channels; liaising with national teams and members where required;
- Managing Green Fins Downloads: ensuring all online materials are up to date, accurate and correctly tagged; and:-
- Keeping the Reef-World and Green Fins News and Media pages up to date.
Team support (admin, implementation and reporting)
- Managing the Reef-World and Green Fins donor and press office inboxes, managing correspondence of incoming enquiries and thanking donors
- Researching and managing databases (such as image library) to ensure they are kept up to date and well organised
- Supporting organisation of logistics for national and international field trips and helping maintain a functioning office environment
- Supporting the management of Reef-World’s digital products (Dive Guide e-Course, Green Fins Diver, Scholarship Fund etc.) where needed through tasks including: logging students, checking for payments, issuing certificates, answering enquiries and ensuring reported bugs are dealt with;
- Ensuring communications plans are aligned with the quarterly analysis of digital product performance and adjusting recommendations based on insights, stats and user feedback;
- Producing and printing of Green Fins materials, as required;
- Monitoring impact and uptake of communications campaigns;
- Supporting the reporting of communication activities and reach to the Trustees, UN Environment and other grant sources;
- Supporting in training and capacity building for Green Fins across active countries and new countries as needed; and:-
- Working closely with Green Fins partners (dive and snorkel centres, NGOs, national and local authorities) to share lessons across active countries, support implementation and provide technical advice for enhanced conservation impact.
The employee’s duties may from time to time be reasonably modified as necessary to meet the needs of the Charity and/or associated project.
What We’re Looking For
We’re looking for someone excited about using their communications skills to protect coral reefs and the marine life and communities they support. The successful candidate will be a motivated and hard-working self starter who is confident working remotely. You should be a passionate marketer with 1-3 years’ experience in copywriting, journalism, marketing or social media management looking to develop your experience.
Your Skills and Experience
- A team player and strong communicator;
- Highly organised with excellent time management skills and proven ability to juggle a busy workload and meet deadlines;
- A native or fluent English speaker; other languages are a bonus;
- Experience managing a brand’s social media platforms (Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, LinkedIn);
- A proactive and resourceful team member able to work independently and remotely across multiple time zones, while maintaining strong communications with international team members;
- Passionate about conserving coral reefs and the marine life and local communities they support;
- Interest / experience in use of behaviour change strategies as an effective marine conservation tool;
- Excellent written English and research skills;
- Excellent attention to detail;
- Fluent in English, spoken and written;
- Ability to think analytically and use logic to troubleshoot;
- Possess good interpersonal skills, agility to think and act strategically;
- Ability to use basic Windows or Mac computer packages such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint;
- Capable of delivering training and guiding project partners and stakeholders with a high degree of cultural sensitivity;
- Motivated to act independently in advancing program goals while also being able to take direction;
- Committed to equity, diversity and inclusion; and:-
- Open to new experiences and adaptable.
- A certified scuba diver;
- Prior experience in content marketing, content growth and SEO;
- Working knowledge of search engine optimisation practices;
- Use of Mailchimp and management of audience and subscriber lists
- Experience with social media management platforms (e.g. Sprout, Hootsuite, Later);
- Copywriting, journalism or PR experience;
- Solid graphic design skills and access to Photoshop and Illustrator;
- Second language;
- Previous knowledge of the diving / tourism industry;
- Has own laptop; and:-
- Knowledge of, or experience in, the marine conservation sector.
Reef-World believes that a team with diverse experiences and backgrounds generates richer discussions and more nuanced thinking and strives to be an inclusive workplace where everyone feels welcome and respected. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from anyone with the required skills and experience: whatever their background. We actively encourage applications from those whose identities reflect the diversity of the communities and networks we serve and whose identities are traditionally underrepresented in the conservation sector.
How To Apply
- Salary Offer 10,000GBP