The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations on behalf of the German Government. We work to shape a future worth living in over 120 countries around the world.
The Indonesian government places a high priority on improving the quality and quantity of TVET. This initiative is mainly driven by the fact that despite the positive economic growth rates, the development of the labour market falls short of the Indonesian government’s expectation. Although the unemployment rate fell from 6.1% to 4.1% in 2012-2016 and that of youth unemployment from 19.5% to 15.4%, the 15-24 age group still represents the majority of the non-employed labour force at 58%. Furthermore, the open unemployment rate of graduates of TVET secondary schools (SMKs) in August 2017 is still high (23%, 1,621,402; source: BPS, 15 Dec 2017). The Indonesian government is, therefore, aiming for an extensive modernisation and expansion of the TVET system.
The project TVET System Reform 2.0 (TSR 2.0) is a follow-on project, a joint effort between the Coordinating Ministry of Economic Affairs (CMEA) and the German Development Cooperation through GIZ, aiming at supporting the implementation of key elements of the Indonesian Government’s reform agenda on technical and vocational education and training (TVET).
The German and Indonesian Government are committed to implement a cooperation with the aim to support the Indonesian Government to implement key elements of the Indonesian Government’s National TVET Strategy. TVET System Reform 2.0 (TSR 2.0) Project implements the activities at 2 level, national and sub national level, i.e. in the national level, TSR Project support to strengthen the capacities of the National TVET Committee (KNV) to fulfil its mandate. The results hypothesis is as follows: Mandated by the Presidential Staff Office, KNV will submit proposals for harmonizing the divergent regulations in legislative procedures. In this way, overlapping responsibilities of the ministries involved are resolved and policy recommendations for a future oriented design of the VET system are formulated on the basis of a central data analysis. The intention is for the private sector to play a proactive, self-confident role in KNV and in sectoral TVET committee.
The Communication Specialist reports to the Senior Advisor for the cooperation with the Coordinating Ministry for Economic Affairs (CMEA) and in close cooperation with the technical advisors and the Junior Specialist
1. Strategic tasks
- Supporting the projects’ objectives by accompanying communication measures in close cooperation with partners;
- Developing and maintenance a concept for the projects’ internal and external communications and systematic planning for communication activities with partners (incl. defining target groups, drafting key messages);
- Coordinating, implementing and monitoring communications work (e.g. effect, content quality and quantity);
2. Cooperating with the GIZ Country Office Indonesia and Corporate Communications
- Following strictly guidelines and toolkits provided by the Communication & PR unit of the GIZ Office Indonesia;
- Adhering to contribute to the country-wide communication activities planned
- Delivering projects’ information by requests;
- Sending final design/maquette to Comm & PR for Corporate Design check before mass production
- Sending publication/ product samples for GIZ Country Office Indonesia’s library and GIZ head office publication archives;
- Participating and contributing to the Communicators Forum (Best practice sharing, knowledge exchange, part of editorial team for country-internal media/GIZbulletin, sharing information and event announcements with the Comm & PR unit)
- Preparing Social Media content for GIZ Indonesia Social Media accounts related to project/programme
- Supporting Comm & PR in keeping the country photo archives up to date by sending good photos
- Actively contributing to Comm & PR folder on DMS
3. PR activities of the project
- Developing and refining appropriate PR instruments for in cooperation with the partners and other TSR stakeholders (e.g. brochure, flyers, factsheets, newsletter, standard presentation set, videos, etc) in accordance to the corporate design standards;
- Preparing/maintaining a standard presentation set for project
- Developing (if applicable) corporate design standards for project in accordance to the corporate design standards;
- Contributing to GIZ Indonesia/ASEAN core publications (e.g. factsheets, website, project location map, success stories);
- Coordinating and controlling quality of PR materials
- Coordinating the draft / Drafting website descriptions for the GIZ.de website every half year or revise in occasions necessary and send to Comm & PR unit
- Administering and coordinating the needs for promotional items for the project/programme
- Organizing external events for project in cooperation with the national partner institutions
- Assisting in organizing delegations’ and VIP visits.
- Supporting to update the partner-owned project’s website and reports.
- Maintaining programme’s/project’s photo or documentation archives
- Contributing to social media content related to project for GIZ’s Indonesia social media accounts;
4. Internal Communications
- Supporting and contributing to the content internal communication platforms of GIZ Indonesia/ASEAN and GIZ head office;
- Supporting information flow and dialogue between different staff groups. (e.g. between project staff and GIZ Country Office of Indonesia as well as with integrated experts and development advisors within the priority area);
- Developing and maintaining (if available) appropriate instruments for the project’s internal communications (e.g. emails, internal events, etc.).
- Distributing information and materials from GIZ Office Indonesia to project staff;
5. Knowledge Management
- In close coordination with Monitoring and Evaluation Jr Advisor as well as Junior Specialist contributing to reporting on key activities based on the TSR Results-Based Monitoring System and to the internal/external knowledge management of GID (e.g. document project experiences and provide analytics report for website and social medias)
- Designing and implementing knowledge management strategy;
- Connecting with stakeholders on knowledge needs;
- Promoting knowledge sharing on TVET topics in appealing ways;
- Working closely with project staff to ensure all knowledge products are updated, readily available and in right order;
- Maintaining the project’s knowledge management system (file server) jointly with the IT Officer;
- Ensuring that all relevant documents are available and uploaded to DMS (Data-Management System of GIZ) and the project’s server;
- Organizing knowledge sharing events on TVET topics
6. Media Relations and Publicity
- Facilitating the development of content and appropriate key messages and success stories to feed relevant media channels related to TSR
- Coordinating project‘s press activities on site in cooperation with partner institution(s) and in close coordination with the Communication & PR unit of GIZ Country Office, i.e.:
- Creating a local press contact list and send to Comm & PR unit
- Establish and maintain contact to the national press and regularly updates GIZ press contacts with Communication & PR unit of GIZ Country Office of Indonesia
- Drafting and coordinating press releases and other publication materials
- Collecting and preparing tailor-made press kit for selected events
- Liaise with national/regional partner’s press office for distribution of press materials via partners (incl. securing contact information of journalists GIZ press contact list)
- Provide support to press events/visits on site and other media campaigns,
- Coordinate project’s press activities in cooperation with relevant TSR stakeholders
- Collecting news related to the project and compiling reporting’s per event/ news appearance & submitting regularly to the Communications & PR units of the GIZ Country Office of Indonesia
3. Providing support to the country office, drafts and prepares materials for the GIZ Press Office (Headquarter) (e.g. press visits of German journalists)
7. Event Management
- Acting as primary focal point for all stakeholders related to key projects’ events (Campaign at sub-national level, workshops and meeting at the national level etc.)
- Designing and managing key of project events to support the achievement of project‘s objectives
- Leading the logistics, coordination and execution of the key of project events
- Coordinating technical input from Principal Advisor and Technical Advisors for key project events
- Providing content and support to the Communications & PR unit of GIZ Office Indonesia for external and internal communications for key project events
- Coordinating the contribution to other events where project is involved (e.g. Indonesia Development Forum (IDF) etc.)
- Coordinating the support project is giving to activities and events of other projects implemented by GIZ
- University Degree in relevant field of work (communications, public relations, policy development, international relations, journalism)
- At least 7 years of experience in the field of communication, including media and PR work, journalism, internal communication preferably in international context
- Experiences in rolling out and establishing communications activities and collaterals, including but not limited to editorial experience, writing articles, social media content plan, press releases, etc. (evidenced by work samples)
- Experience in maintaining contacts to journalists, Good contacts to (local/regional) media.
Other knowledge, requirements and additional competences
- Very good user knowledge of ITC technologies (related software) and computer applications e.g. practical MS Office applications, communication apps, graphics software, web content management.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and a confident journalistic style that is suited to the target group.
- Full proficiency in spoken and written English
- Ability to operate within multi-sectoral and multi-cultural teams and flexibility within a rapidly changing environment and deadline
- Willingness to improve or acquire new skills as required by the tasks to be performed
Duty Station: Jakarta
Joining Date: ASAP
Direct Supervisor: Senior Advisor for the TVET System Reform
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a motivation letter, CV, trainings attended and list of references (a must), addressed to email@example.com. The closing date to submit the application letter is on 21st September 2021.
Please indicate your application by putting the following code in the subject line: TSR – CS
Please name your file as follow format:
[Your Complete Name]_[Motivation Letter/CV/Latest Education Certificate] (i.e: Nakula Sadewa _CV or Nakula Sadewa _Motivation Letter or Nakula Sadewa _Reference)
Only short-listed candidates will be notified.