The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations on behalf of the German Government. We work to shape a future worth living in over 120 countries around the world.
Indonesia’s impressive socio-economic development over the past two decades has brought with it a substantial negative impact on the environment. The continuing lack of urban infrastructure leads to widespread congestion, excessive pressure on electricity and water supplies and causes significant environmental impacts and further increased of emissions due to pollution in urban areas. The profound need for further policy reforms and increased investment in urban infrastructure to improve the provision of public services, reduce pollution and reduce CO² emissions will be medium-term development plan for the years 2020-2024.
Against this background, the German Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and the Indonesian Ministry for National Development Planning (BAPPENAS) have launched the Indonesian – German Green Infrastructure Initiative, based on the results of the bilateral Government Negotiations on 01.and 02. 10.2019. As part of the initiative, an additional EUR 2.5 billion will be made available for subsidized loans via the German Development Bank (KfW) for investments to promote environment- and/or climate-relevant infrastructure in Indonesia (Urban Public Transport, Solid Waste Management, Water and Wastewater Management). GIZ has been commissioned by BMZ with the implementation of the project Green Infrastructure Development (GID) as a Technical Cooperation assignment complimentary to the Financial Cooperation. In this context, the project aims to strengthen the Indonesian Government’s approach to the coherent identification and development of investment projects in the fields of support for the Indonesian – German Green Infrastructure Initiative.
The Communications Specialist reports to the Senior Advisor for the Cooperation with the Coordinating Ministry of Maritime Affairs and Investments (CMMAI) and in close cooperation with the National Technical Advisor and the Junior Administrative and Communication Professional,
The incumbent will be responsible as follows:
- Advise the respective Senior Advisor and project staff on comprehensive approaches regarding communication and public relations (PR) related issues and lead the design of comprehensive communication and PR instruments, in line with the Communication Strategy of GIZ Office Indonesia and other relevant communication strategies (CMMAI, BMZ, KfW) and the Green Infrastructure Initiative
- Provide Capacity Development in cooperation with respective project teams to counterpart staff on communication and PR issues, if requested (e.g. material for partners’ webpages, reports, collaterals, etc.)
- Managing and developing communication-related instruments of public appearance of GII
- Developing and ensuring availability of publication material needed to promote GII
- Supporting both GII and the counterparts on key elements of document management and knowledge management
- Ensuring project staff members are equipped and prepared for public appearances
- Coordinating with the country office on communications-related matters
- Managing company-internal communication on behalf of GII
- Supporting management in event planning and execution, publication management, media relations
1. Strategic tasks for Green Infrastructure Initiative
- Promoting the GII objectives by accompanying communication measures in close cooperation with all GII stakeholders as below (point 2)
- Development and maintenance of a concept for the projects’ internal and external communications and systematic planning for communication activities with GII stakeholders (incl. defining target groups, drafting key messages);
- Coordinating, implementing and monitoring communications work (e.g. effect, content quality and quantity);
2. Coordination tasks for Green Infrastructure Initiative
a. Coordinating and cooperating efficiently with all Green Infrastructure Initiative (GII) stakeholders, including but not limited to:
- Support CMMAI in the development and quality assurance of the communication strategy and activities for GII, to ensure visibility and understanding of GII to various partners and stakeholders
- Supporting provincial counterpart institutions with communication and engagement strategies to advocate for GII goals, to increase awareness of GII, to further develop capacities of GII stakeholders, in straight coordination with the Provincial Advisors to further strengthen GII networks.
- Support GII and other partner organizations in the organization of events and outreach activities on national and sub-national level
- Liaise with GIZ partners regarding media needs and opportunities, ensure that GIZ internal communications and other relevant protocols are implemented.
b. Coordinating and cooperating with external contractors and other service providers ensuring high-quality work (e.g. consultants, agencies, photographers, trainers, writers, event organizers)
c. Feed-in additions to GIZ Office Indonesia’s pool of consultants and service providers (e.g. writers, printers, graphic designers, editors);
d. Administering and coordinating the needs for promotional items for the project.
3. Cooperating with the GIZ Office Indonesia and Corporate Communications
- Coordinating projects’ press activities on site in close coordination with the Communications & PR unit of GIZ Office Indonesia, i.e.
- Following strictly guidelines and toolkits provided by the Communication & PR unit of the GIZ Office Indonesia;
- Contributing to the country-wide communication activities and publications available and/or planned;
- Delivering projects’ information by requests;
- Participating and contributing to the company-internal communicators platform (Best practise sharing, knowledge exchange, part of editorial team for country-internal media, sharing information and event announcements);
- Actively contributing to GIZ internal systems for publications and photos’ storage.
4. PR activities for Green Infrastructure Initiative
- Developing and refining appropriate PR instruments for in cooperation with CMMAI and other GII stakeholders (e.g. brochure, flyers, factsheets, standard presentation set, videos, etc);
- Ensuring to adhere corporate design standards assigned to project by funding party (including BMZ, KfW, etc.) and that are agreed with the national partners;
- Organizing external events for project in cooperation with the national partner institutions
- Contributing to GIZ Indonesia/ASEAN core publications (e.g. factsheets, website, project location map, success stories);
- Assisting in organising delegations’ and VIP visits.
- Contributing social media content related to GII for GIZ’s Indonesia social media accounts;
- Supporting to update the partner-owned GII’s website and reports.
5. Internal GIZ Communications
- Supporting and contributing to the content internal communication platforms of GIZ Indonesia/ASEAN and GIZ head office;
- Supporting information flow and dialogue between different staff groups. (e.g. between project staff and GIZ Office Indonesia as well as with integrated experts and development advisors within the priority area);
- Maintaining projects’ photo archives;
- Distributing information and materials from GIZ Office Indonesia to project staff;
- Collecting press clippings related to project and compiling reporting’s per event/news appearance & submitting regularly to the Communications & PR Unit of the GIZ Office Indonesia;
- Providing support to the country office and drafting of preparing material for the GIZ Press Office (Headquarters) (e.g. press visits of German journalists).
- Sending product samples for GIZ Indonesia’s library and GIZ head office publication archives;
- Developing and maintaining (if available) appropriate instruments for the project’s internal communications (e.g. emails, internal events, etc.).
6. Knowledge Management of GID project
- Support the GID Results-Based Monitoring System, contribute to reporting on key activities, and contribute to the internal/external knowledge management of GID (e.g. document project experiences and provide analytics report for website and social medias)
- Designing and implementing knowledge management strategy;
- Connecting with stakeholders on knowledge needs;
- Promoting knowledge sharing on social protection topics in Appealing Ways;
- Working closely with project staff to ensure all knowledge products are updated, readily available and in right order;
- Maintaining the project’s knowledge management system (file server) jointly with the IT Officer;
- Ensuring that all relevant documents are available and uploaded to DMS (Data-Management System of GIZ) and the project’s server;
7. Media Relations and Publicity for Green Infrastructure Initiative
- Facilitate the development of content and appropriate key messages and success stories to feed relevant media channels related to GII
- Coordinating project’s press activities in cooperation with relevant GII stakeholders, I.e.
- Providing a great support to press events/visits on site and other media campaigns,
- Preparing and collecting tailor-made press kit for each events
- Drafting and coordinating press releases and other publication materials
- Liaise with national/regional partner’s press office for distribution of press materials via partners
8. Event Management for GID project
- Act as primary focal point for all stakeholders related to key projects’ events (Dialogue Forum, Operational Planning, etc.)
- Designing and managing key of project events to support the achievement of project‘s objectives
- Lead the logistics, coordination and execution of the key of project events
- Coordinate technical input from Principal Advisor and Technical Advisors for key project events
- Provide content and support to the Communications & PR unit of GIZ Office Indonesia for external and internal communications for key project events
- Coordinate the contribution to other events where project is involved (e.g. Indonesia Development Forum (IDF), Indonesia Infrastructure Week, etc.)
- Coordinate the support project is giving to activities and events of other projects implemented by GIZ
- Master’s or Bachelors’ Degree in relevant fields, e.g. communication, public relations or journalism
- At least 15 years of experience in the field of communication, including establishing communications strategy, management of social media, public relations, event management, awareness campaigns, media relations and communications products (e.g poster, merchandises, booklets/leaflets, etc.).
- Experience in the field of infrastructure or environment/climate-related cause is an advantage
- Experiences in rolling out and establishing communications activities and collaterals, including but not limited to editorial experience, writing articles, social media content plan, press releases, etc. (evidenced by work samples)
- Very good user knowledge of ITC technologies (related software) and computer applications e.g. practical MS Office applications, communication apps, graphics software, web content management.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, conveying messages to different audiences, including low-literate target groups
- Full proficiency in spoken and written English
- Ability to operate within multi-sectoral and multi-cultural teams and flexibility within a rapidly changing environment and deadline
- Willingness to improve or acquire new skills as required by the tasks to be performed.
Duty Station: Jakarta
Joining Date: ASAP
Direct Supervisor: Senior Advisor of GID
How to Apply
Please submit your motivation letter and comprehensive resume (including training and list of references) to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 16th, 2021 with subject line GID – CS.
Please name your file as follow format:
[Your Complete Name]_[Motivation Letter/CV/Latest Education Certificate] (i.e: Nakula Sadewa_CV or Nakula Sadewa_Motivation Letter or Nakula Sadewa_Reference)
Only short-listed candidates will be notified.