The New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT) has, through its Aid Programme provided funding for the New Zealand – Maluku Access to Renewable Energy Support (NZMATES) programme. New Zealand-based renewable energy company Infratec Ltd. has been tasked with the delivery of the NZMATES programme. Infratec has engaged with YMCI to jointly implement this five-year programme.
The main goal of NZMATES is to improve social well-being and economic development on Seram Island in Maluku province by supporting, accelerating, and enabling the sustainable development and utilization of the areas’ renewable energy (RE) resources (mainly hydro, solar, wind, and biomass) for the benefit of local communities. NZMATES will work towards promoting and accelerating the identification of RE projects and increase their attractiveness and viability, social and environmental assessments, technical considerations, and triggering and facilitating investment and funding from government, private sector, or other donors. NZMATES will partner and collaborate closely with PLN and EBTKE on increasing the use of renewables and improving energy access through grid-connected and off-grid RE projects.
The NZMATES Team will be based in Ambon and will provide support to fill gaps in knowledge, resources, and research, and will ensure that projects are aligned with the Government of Indonesia and community development framework and objectives. The proposed support for RE projects will include assistance with project identification and appraisal, technical and social assessments, finance matching, and project design to strengthen long-term sustainability. NZMATES is also intended to enhance local public and private sector capacity and offer opportunities for direct training, technical exchange programmes, and interaction between Maluku educational institutions and NZ renewable energy specialists
Communication Officer Position
The Communication Officer will be responsible for updating and maintaining a communications strategy and working with the NZMATES Programme team to successfully implement the strategy. The Communications Officer will be based in Ambon and work to support the NZMATES Programme team by communicating the results, achievements, lesson learned and stories from the field. This role will also manage and update the NZMATES website and social media, as well as producing a regular newsletter to stakeholders, and supporting the NZMATES team with organization and promotion of events.
The Communications Officer will also support knowledge and data management for the NZMATES programme, including supporting with the translation of documents between English and Bahasa Indonesia as required. The Officer will also support to coordinate regularly with NZMATES government partners (PLN, EBTKE and Dinas ESDM), educational institutions and other relevant stakeholders at the local, provincial and national level. Finally the Officer will support the production of donor reports as required.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in communication, journalism, international relations, and/or similar field;
- A minimum of 3 years of experience as media or communication officer. Experience of working with donor-funded projects will have an added advantage;
- Demonstrated experience in Communication, Media and Public Outreach, with a proven track record of successful packaging of communication materials to multiple audiences;
- Prior experience in the renewable energy and/or international development field preferred;
- Fluency in English verbal and written communication is mandatory;
- Strong writing and editing skills, both in Bahasa and in English;
- A proven ability to effectively manage relationships with media representatives, government officials, community groups and partners;
- Ability to develop strategy planning, implementation and evaluation on media relation and communication for public and network in national and international level;
- Able to provide inputs on media and communication strategy;
- Ability to work quickly and deliver projects to tight deadlines;
- Excellent communications skills, both verbally and in writing;
- Creative thinker and strong knowledge of interactive design;
- Fully computer literate and tech savvy, knowledge of design, video and photo-editing software an advantage. Skills in MS Office, including Word, Excel, Power Point, Desktop Publisher, Photoshop and other graphics software is required;
- Experience with Drupal website content management system an advantage;
- Knowledge of current theories and practices in communication research, planning and strategy, and the role of mass media;
- Proven writing, editing, design, videography, or photography skills;
- Demonstrated skill in program communication, development of information and Communication material;
- Ability to produce analytical and well-presented reports and publications.
Vacancy will be closed 03 May 2019 and only short listed candidates will be contacted for interview.
We look forward to hearing from those who are interested in taking this opportunity to grow and develop with us.
Human Resources Department