Application Deadline: March 15, 2021
Employment Type: Communications Officer (1 year contract with potential extension)
Location: Based in Surakarta (Indonesia), remote work during the COVID-19 pandemic
Language Required: Fluent in English and Indonesian
Kota Kita is growing and we are looking for passionate, impact-driven, creative yet analytical urbanists to join our team! We are looking for those who genuinely want to make our cities a better place – more inclusive and more sustainable for all. We are growing our communication and advocacy initiatives, and are looking for a Communication Officer to join our team and amplify our campaign in making our cities more equitable, inclusive, and climate-resilient!
About Kota Kita
Kota Kita (KK) is a growing non-proﬁt organization based in the Surakarta (Solo) city of Indonesia with expertise in urban planning and citizen participation in the design and development of cities. We build bridges between citizens and government towards a shared vision. We facilitate citizen participation and collaboration, inﬂuence urban policies, encourage open access to information, and provide civic education to empower active urban citizens. We take on issues such as governance, inclusivity and climate change resilience. We have an interdisciplinary team with a design-driven approach to develop tools and methods for city-making. For almost a decade, KK has worked in more than 20 cities in Indonesia on a diverse range of projects from small scale urban interventions, city-wide assessments to large-scale strategic planning and visioning. We build platforms for new voices for change in our cities by organizing events such as the annual Urban Social Forum (https://urbansocialforum.or.id/) – a civil society-led forum in Indonesia that brings together civil societies, civil servants, practitioners and students that work towards improving our cities.
Kota Kita is currently working to strengthen our communication and advocacy efforts as a resource center for urban issues in Indonesia focusing on citizen participation and collective action. In the past ten years, Kota Kita has been involved in more than 22 cities ranging from small scale urban interventions, city-wide assessments to large-scale strategic planning and visioning, thus accumulating vast experience and knowledge on urban issues related to inclusivity, resilience, and governance, amongst others. Through our experience, we have found that when citizens and stakeholders understand urban issues and work together, services improve, poverty is reduced and inequality narrows, as poor communities become empowered to make a living. We aim to further promote a vision of “A City for All” in Indonesia, targeting practitioners and the general public alike. Combining extensive research capacity and creative communications strategies, we aim to generate new insights and knowledge, proactively raise awareness of urban issues and its opportunities, and promote citizen participation.
Our team is seeking a Communication Officer to support daily activities and contribute to the Communication & Advocacy Team at Kota Kita. The officer will report to the Communication & Advocacy Manager and work closely with the program and research team. The Communication Officer will need to be a creative multi-tasker with the passion to learn new skills and processes on the go; demonstrate sharp analytical skills, and possess the ability and understanding to communicate effectively to different audiences.
Key responsibilities of the Communication Officer will be:
- Produce regular research-based, engaging, and tailored multimedia content for Kota Kita’s digital channels including social media, website, and newsletter.
- Transform research and program findings into creative campaigns as well as policy briefs
- Contribute to writing articles/press releases in Bahasa Indonesia and English language
- Identify key audiences (e.g. urban policy decision-makers, government officials, activists, social leaders and civil society organizations), and the most effective forms of communication (eg. traditional forms of media, social media), to influence and persuade those audiences to take action.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of Kota Kita’s communication and advocacy strategies i.e. key messages and tactics to raise public awareness on urban issues relating to our work
- Coordinate and facilitate events and support in handling media relations and other stakeholder/donor engagements
- Support in maintaining knowledge management at Kota Kita
The candidate should be:
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in communication, journalism, public policy, social science or urban planning/design, architecture, environmental science or relevant field is required
- At least 2 years of professional work or equivalent experience in communications for development or advocacy,
- Experience in multimedia and data visualization is an asset
These are some of the core competencies required for the position:
- Advanced writing and communication skills in Indonesian and English (for media-related materials, policy briefs, summary, reports)
- Experienced in doing social media campaigns, organize public outreach, and other engagements
- Experienced in doing publication design
- Good ability to read and analyze data
- Experienced in doing stakeholder engagement/community facilitation
- Able to interact with different stakeholders at all levels
- Advanced presentation skills
Experience and interest in one or more of the following themes is an asset:
- Multimedia production
- Communication for Development
- Public Policy
- Urban planning/urban development
- Climate change and urban resilience
- Collaborative and participatory design
- Community development
What does Kota Kita offer you?
- The opportunity to work with an interdisciplinary team of passionate urban changemakers
- The opportunity to work on some of the most pressing urban challenges in Indonesia
- The opportunity to work across a variety of programs and initiatives
- The chance to work with friendly, talented team members and diverse partners, from international development organizations, local governments, academics, research institutions, civil society organizations, youth groups, and many others in a collaborative and innovative work culture.
- A high degree of responsibility, but also autonomy
- Competitive salaries
- Regular training opportunities
Our office is primarily based in Surakarta (Solo), Indonesia but currently operating in many cities.
Period of Engagement
April 2021 – April 2022
To apply for this position, you must submit the following materials:
- Your most recent CV
- A short 2-min video about yourself
- A portfolio of your work, which covers writing samples (1 in English and 1 in Indonesia) as well as any videos/infographics/campaigns/illustrations/other samples that best represent your creativity, interests, skills, and qualifications.
- To be included in your cover letter, and no more than 750 words:
- Describe yourself – a profile
- Tell us why you are interested in the position and how you think you can contribute
- And tell us, in your opinion, what makes a great city?
If you have any queries, please e-mail us at email@example.com
For more information about us and our work, find out more on our