The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a German implementing organization which provides services worldwide in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
The SUPA (‘Sustainable Use of Peatland and Haze Mitigation in ASEAN) programme is co-financed by the EU and the German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, and Nuclear Safety (BMU). The initiative supports the implementation of the ASEAN Programme on ‘Sustainable Management of Peatland Ecosystems’ (APSMPE) under the shared overall objective ‘to promote the sustainable management of peatlands in the ASEAN region through collective actions and to enhance the cooperation to support and sustain local livelihoods, reduce the risk of fire and associated haze and contribute to global environmental management.’
Component 1 (of two components) of the programme is on ‘peatland governance’ implemented by GIZ. Based on the intervention logic, the implementation of this component is structured into three work areas.
- Work Area 1: Strengthening regional co-operation by strengthening ASEAN
- Work Area 2: Specific Support to AMS for the implementation of APMS and NAPPs
- Work Area 3: Generating Pilot Experiences from Indonesia and Malaysia
- Supporting the respective Principal Advisors and project staff on communication-related instruments and public relations (PR) issues of the projects
- Designing comprehensive approaches on communication and PR-issues, in line with the Communication Strategies of the European Union, BMU, ASEAN and GIZ Office Indonesia.
- Assisting the project team in providing Capacity Development to counterpart staff on communication and PR issues, if requested (e.g. material for partners’ webpages, reports etc.)
- Managing communication-related instruments of public appearance of the projects
- Developing and ensuring availability of publication material needed to promote the projects
- Supporting both the project and the counterparts on key elements of document management and knowledge management
- Ensuring project staff members are equipped and prepared for public appearances
- Coordinating with the EU, ASEAN, local partners and country office on communications-related matters
- Managing company-internal communication on behalf of the project
- Supporting management in event planning and execution, publication management, media relations
- General tasks
a. Strategic tasks
- Promoting the projects’ objectives by accompanying communication measures in close cooperation with partners following EU regulations on visibility activities;
- Development and maintenance of a concept for the projects’ internal and external communication and systematic planning for communication activities with partners (incl. defining target groups, drafting key messages);
- Coordinating, implementing and monitoring communications work (e.g. effect, content quality and quantity);
b. Cooperating with the EU , ASEAN and GIZ Office Indonesia and Corporate Communications
- Following strictly guidelines and toolkits provided by EU and the Communication & PR unit of the GIZ Office Indonesia;
- Contributing to the regional communication activities and publications available and/or planned;
- Delivering projects’ information by requests;
- Participating and contributing to the company-internal communicators platform (Best practice sharing, knowledge exchange, part of editorial team for country-internal media, sharing information and event announcements);
- Actively contributing to GIZ internal systems for publications and photos’ storage.
c. Coordination tasks
- Coordinating and cooperating with service providers ensuring high-quality work (e.g. consultants, agencies, photographers, trainers, writers);
- Feed-in additions to GIZ Office Indonesia’s pool of consultants and service providers (e.g. writers, printers, graphic designers, editors);
- Administering and coordinating the needs for promotional items for the project.
2. PR activities of the project
- Developing and refining appropriate PR instruments for in cooperation with the partners (e.g. brochure, flyers, factsheets, standard presentation set);
- Ensuring to adhere corporate design standards assigned to project by funding party and that are agreed with the national partners;
- Organizing external events for project in cooperation with the national partner institutions
- Contributing to GIZ Indonesia/ASEAN core publications (e.g. factsheets, website, project location map, success stories);
- Assisting in organizing delegations’ and VIP visits.
- Contributing social media content related to project for GIZ’s Indonesia social media accounts;
- Supporting to update the partner-owned project’s website and reports.
3. Internal Communications
- Supporting and contributing to the content internal communication platforms of GIZ Indonesia/ASEAN and GIZ Germany;
- Supporting information flow and dialogue between different staff groups. (e.g. between project staff and GIZ Office Indonesia as well as with integrated experts and development advisors within the priority area);
- Maintaining projects’ photo archives;
- Distributing information and materials from GIZ Office Indonesia to project staff;
- Sending product samples for GIZ Indonesia’s library and GIZ Germany publication archives;
- Developing and maintaining (if available) appropriate instruments for the project’s internal communications (e.g. emails, internal events, etc.).
4. Knowledge Management
- Designing and implementing knowledge management strategy;
- Connecting with stakeholders on knowledge needs;
- Promoting knowledge sharing on social protection topics in Appealing Ways;
- Working closely with project staff to ensure all knowledge products are updated, readily available and in right order;
- Maintaining the project’s knowledge management system (file server) jointly with the IT Officer;
- Ensuring that all relevant documents are available and uploaded to DMS (Data-Management System of GIZ) and the project’s server;
5. Media relations in close coordination with national partner and GIZ Office Indonesia
- Coordinating projects’ press activities on site in cooperation with partner institution(s) and in close coordination with the Communications & PR unit of GIZ Office Indonesia, e.
- Establishing and maintaining contact to the national press and regularly updating GIZ press contacts with Communications & PR unit of GIZ Office Indonesia;
- Drafting and coordinating press releases;
- Collecting and preparing tailor-made press kit for selected events;
- Liaise with the national/regional partner’s press office for distribution of press releases via partners;
- Providing a great support to press events/visits on site;
- Collecting press clippings related to project and compiling reporting’s per event/news appearance & submitting regularly to the Communications & PR Unit of the GIZ Office Indonesia;
- Providing support to the country office and drafting of preparing material for the GIZ Press Office (Headquarters) (e.g. press visits of German journalists).
- University degree in relevant field of work (Communications, Public Relations, Policy Development, International Relations, Journalism);
- A minimum of 7 to 10 years of experience of working in the field of communication (media and PR work, journalism, internal communication) preferably in international context;
- Experience in developing the documentation of processes and result platform (knowledge management);
- Fluency in writing, reading and speaking in English and Indonesian, knowledge of German language will be an advantage;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and a confident journalistic style that is suited to the target group.
- Proven track record in communications (press relations and PR, journalism, internal communications, lobbying etc.);
- Editorial experience/experience in writing articles and press releases,
- Experience in maintaining contacts to journalists, Good contacts to (local/regional) media,
- Experience of project and/or event management,
- Experience of production of publications and materials,
- Previous experience with knowledge management (in the context of development cooperation) will be an advantage,
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Basic knowledge of national development policy issues, development cooperation and international cooperation;
- Knowledge of desktop publishing or graphics applications;
- Very good working knowledge of ICT technologies (related software) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office);
- Social, intercultural understanding and interest, flexibility, ability to work in team, sense of diplomacy, ability to work in a politically sensitive environment;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a fast-paced office environment, both independently and as part of a global team;
- Adaptable to rapidly changing priorities and able to manage multiple deadlines and deliver high quality work products;
- Willingness to up-skill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management.
Duty Station: Jakarta
Expected to Join: a.s.a.p.
Direct Supervisor: Principal Advisor of the SUPA Programme
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a motivation letter, CV, trainings attended and list of references (a must), addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org. The closing date to submit the application letter is on June 16th, 2019.
Please indicate your application by putting the following code in the subject line: SUPA – Communication & Knowledge
Please name your file as the following format:
[Your Complete Name]_[Motivation Letter/CV/Latest Education Certificate] (i.e: Nakula Sadewa_CV or Nakula Sadewa _Motivation Letter or Nakula Sadewa _Reference)
Only short-listed candidates will be notified