Established in 2017, Lestari Capital is a start-up environmental enterprise, built to protect the world’s natural assets through a commercially viable business model. We accomplish this by mobilizing new finance for initiatives that protect and rehabilitate important natural landscapes around the world. The Indonesian word “Lestari” means sustainable, or everlasting, signifying our commitment to developing long-term sources of finance for high quality conservation and restoration initiatives.
As the global commodity, transportation and energy sectors begin to respond to evolving market requirements, Lestari Capital works in parallel with the same forces driving supply-chain transformation to generate financing for conservation. Lestari Capital supports multi-stakeholder sustainability standards by providing credible, transparent and efficient ways for the private sector to meet and surpass sustainability commitments, certifications and import requirements. We are using this approach in Southeast Asia, demonstrating how the cost of environmental impact can be built into the cost of commodity production.
Lestari Capital’s impact model addresses a critical need for long-term operating capital for Projects run by local communities, conservation non-profits and environmental services companies. Lestari Capital aims to strengthen Southeast Asia’s emerging ecosystem services marketplace, by connecting demand for on-the-ground conservation efforts among commodity producers/buyers with Projects that are protecting or restoring forests where these companies operate, to protect at-risk areas.
At the center of Lestari’s approach is the Sustainable Commodities Conservation Mechanism (SCCM), which finances Projects for a minimum of 25 years. The SCCM provides independent fiduciary oversight that ties payments to results on the ground, ensuring benefits to local communities, global climate and biodiversity. Funds are managed through a financial vehicle domiciled in Singapore that delivers payments through a custodian bank.
Lestari Capital’s diverse Project portfolio includes internationally certified initiatives on the forefront of tropical conservation, ecosystem restoration and community forestry. Our company specializes in selecting, vetting and financing certified conservation, restoration and community-forest Projects that protect forests, peatlands and biodiversity. This includes working with members of the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) and those with “Zero Deforestation” pledges. Efforts are also underway to expand to additional commodity sectors, as our company supports emerging sustainability trends through a credible and transparent conservation finance platform.
Lestari Capital is supported by a diverse group of public-private partnerships and brings actors from the commodities and finance sectors together with conservation initiatives and funders. Our portfolio prioritizes support for Project models that can eventually support jurisdictional and national climate targets.
Like the company itself, the position of Chief Legal Counsel (CLC) is multidimensional and will combine standard general counsel responsibilities along with a number of non-traditional roles. It will require an individual with a critical, innovative, curious and adaptable character who is able to push beyond standard legal agreements, and in many cases will be required to work as part of an innovation team developing structures which have little or no legal precedent. We view this as necessary innovation in the legal space to be essential in creating the kinds of market-to-conservation structures that are required in the 21st century.
The Chief Legal Officer (CLC) is an expert and leader in the team who wears a number of hats. First, as “Catalyst”, he/she provides critical legal guidance and innovative solutions to drive the organization forward, owning, optimizing and leading the negotiation of legal structures around which the company is built. Second, as “Strategist”, he/she aligns the legal and business strategies to enable value creation. Third, as “Guardian”, he/she instructs the company externally on regulatory matters to mitigate risk. Fourth as an “Operating Manager”, who guides the company internally with regards to governance and compliance systems necessary to enable the achievement of healthy growth of the company. The CLC is also a member of the company’s executive operating committee and is overseen by the CEO. The CLC manages and oversees all relationships and dealings with external legal counsel and any other in-house legal staff.
- Build strong relationships with other members of the Executive Committee and leadership team.
- As part of the Executive Committee, review, propose and vote on issues related to new business, internal process, strategy and human resources.
- Understand the strategy and value creation levers for the business and reflect them in the legal strategy of the company, particularly in new business negotiations.
- Serve as a trusted business advisor who proactively engages management and the board around strategic business issues
- Challenge the status quo as a change agent. While the foundation of Lestari Capital is established, it also recognizes that there is much remaining to structure/re-structure internally and that nothing is sacred or subject to not being changed. Continuous internal reflection and improvement is always necessary.
- Maintain clarity between the role of the board and executive management.
- Embrace the role of being both learner and teacher of your colleague.
- Contract Development, Negotiation, Review and Compliance
- Together, with external counsel, take the lead in innovating and designing new environmental contracts, some of which may have no historical legal precedent.
- Draft original legal documents as required
- Review, critique and improve all deliverables developed by external legal counsel.
- Take a pragmatic yet legally rigorous approach to further develop and evolve the key operating legal agreements (eg. the Ecosystem Purchase Agreement Purchase Agreements and Project Service Agreements) of the SCCM to make them more accessible for commercial clients and conservation initiatives who may have little or no access to legal expertise.
- Establish and manage core template legal documents which will serve as the basis for company agreements. You have final say and hold the master versions of all company documents.
- Co-sign and approve all final drafts of key legal operating and commercial agreements.
- Lead all contract negotiations with clients and conservation projects with the support of the CFO and CEO.
- Drive client satisfaction and experience through legal services. The SCCM is an entirely new concept to which clients and conservation suppliers will have little to no experience. A key element in client satisfaction is that end users are appropriately introduced to the legal structures, term sheets, and contracts and then oriented around them in a professional way. Current legal negotiations are down in the absence of legal credentials by the leadership team and is both a key legal risk to the company and to customer satisfaction/confidence.
- Legal Strategy and Business Development
- Work directly with the CFO in regard to legal structuring, regulatory compliance and risk of new SCCM vehicles. Currently the first SCCM vehicle is setup and incorporated. However, it is expected that two new vehicles will be developed from 2019 to 2020. The exact legal structure and risk exposure of these vehicles is not entirely known at this stage.
- Understand and learn from other executive members about new business opportunities and offer input and guidance from both a business and legal perspective.
- Provide access to networks, both legal and corporate as avenues for business development in sectors of strategic importance.
- Regulatory Compliance and External Risk Management
- The candidate will be required to learn and hone new areas of legal expertise in order to anticipate legal and regulatory risk. Learning support can be provided from both internal expertise and external counsel (e.g. Baker McKenzie) and will include:
- Core principles and follow developments of the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change and the Paris Accords.
- Environmental and land-rights law in foreign countries, starting with Indonesia, Malaysia, Brazil.
- IT and blockchain, specifically relating to regulation relating to securities
- Anticipate and proactively develop a strategy to address changes in regulatory requirements and public policy
- Understand and manage business and compliance risk.
- Identify and remediate exposure to brand and reputation risk.
- Internal Compliance, Governance and Risk Management
- Establish a baseline understanding of the legal status of all current contracts held by Lestari Capital, including HR and staff contracting,
- Establish a implement standard operating procedures for contract (ESO PA/PSA etc) compliance monitoring and management.
- Manage governance approach on regulatory and legal issues
- Take the lead in building a strong corporate culture that is aligned with the company’s values around compliance and integrity
- Assess whether business is carried out in the right way; develop the corporate risk profile and a strong company-wide compliance framework
- Review and approval any and all contracts which pass through Lestari Capital, which may range from simple rental agreements, to joint-venture partnership contracts, to advanced purchase agreements.
Education and Experience
- Degree in Law, Corporate Law or Contract Law (preferably JD, LLM or LLB or equivalent) with significant experience.
- Legal experience must pull from past work in large corporate settings, preferably in the commodities sector, multi-national corporations and/or retail sector where supply-chain issues are a central business concern.
- Experience in providing legal guidance with respect to litigation will be considered as a distinct advantage in consideration.
- An experienced professional in mid-to-late career who is passionate about and driven by the application of his/her skills to the purpose, mission and impact that his/her work is having on the world.
- A person who brings a spirit of enthusiasm, self-driven and inspirational positivity to the workplace and is not discouraged by temporary lack of clarity, systems and procedures. A person who thrives from the challenge of building and creating a well-oiled machine will thrive in our family.
- Able and willing to embrace trying to solve problems based on new and not fully understood inter-disciplinary business models.
- Willing to own, be responsible for and proactively lead tasks that are both above and below his/her skill level until additional staff are appointed to support. The company is new and even the executive leadership is required to undertake basic operating tasks.
The position is a full-time role. The employee is expected to maintain regular working hours, where he/she is either present in the Lestari Capital office, working remotely with online availability through phone/email or team messaging services such as WhatsApp. Off-site work is permissible for periods of time provided it is well coordinated with the team. The CLC is responsible for the management of the legal team in Singapore and so is expected to keep regular commuting hours in order to maintain efficient teamwork and morale, however Lestari Capital does not enforce strict arrival times. Further, Lestari strongly supports staff to also manage a healthy work/life balance, including respecting weekends and working hours after 5:30pm except in situations of extreme importance.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Applicants should apply by sending a cover letter and CV to: Mr. Gabriel Eickhoff, Chief Executive Officer, email@example.com
The job description can also be found here: http://lestaricapital.com/jobs/
Important: Please include your name and “CLC” in the subject line of the email and in the titles of all attachments (please use the format: Name_CV, Name_CoverLetter). In cover letter please include this summary table:
|Degree type (BA, MS)|
|Years of work experience|
- Address Gran Rubina Business Park, Jalan HR. Rasuna Said, RT.1/RW.5, Karet Kuningan, Setia Budi, Kota Jakarta Selatan, Daerah Khusus Ibukota