Working in 30+ countries globally, Conservation International (CI) Foundation is a non-profit organization committed to empowering societies to responsibly and sustainably care for nature for the good of humanity. We are constantly growing and expanding into areas new and old. We are currently looking Firm/Institution to fill the following Terms below:
Calling for Firm/Organization Proposal
Developing Peatland and Mangrove Ecosystem (PME) Community Livelihood and Supply Chain in the Kaimana, West Papua
With 9.4 million hectares of forests (approximately 90% of its entire terrestrial area), West Papua is one of the ‘greenest’ provinces in all of Indonesia. The deep-rooted history and the knowledge that West Papua’s indigenous populations have in terms of forest resources and sustainable management is an incredible asset.
Nevertheless, the forests including the Peat and Mangrove forest are under threats due to increasing land-use change and development pressure. Most traditional land territory has not been protected under law and even less has been recognized in spatial and forest plan. Less than 10% of West Papua’s mangroves (650,000 ha) are protected despite having the highest diversity of mangrove species in the world. It is in this context that both planned and unplanned development of carbon rich PMEs will represent significant deforestation and GHG emissions.
At the other side, the healthy PMEs provide number of environmental services such as carbon storage, wave protection, nesting place, etc. and also provide sustainable livelihood for the community including seafood production (fish, crab, shell, prawn), bee keeping, and tourism of which potentially have more values rather than being converted to agriculture plantation. However, those potencies have not been developed as sources of sustainable income for improving the community livelihood. Currently, the communities only use the PMEs for their subsistence livelihood mostly for fishing and shell collector during bad weather for fishing from July-October (4 Months). The supply chain commodities produced by PMEs also have not been established due to lack of infrastructure, financing, transportation, and market information.
Conservation International (CI) is just awarded a project called Mitigation, Adaptation through Conservation and Sustainable Livelihoods in Indonesia’s Peat and Mangrove Ecosystems funded under International Climate Initiative (IKI). Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU). The project will increase climate change resilience of highly vulnerable communities and biodiversity, while substantially mitigating GHG emissions in Indonesia by accelerating large-scale conservation and effective management of peat and mangrove ecosystems (PMEs).
The IKI project will support the government in developing a pilot integrated PMEs sustainable livelihood model through promoting ecotourism and sustainable fisheries at PMEs surrounding Kambala Regency (Buruay) and/or either in Arguni, and Teluk Triton in Kaimana, West Papua. The target locations are part of supporting area for the Kaimana Marine Protected Areas. The project will develop baseline information about potential livelihood resources, local regulations for sustainable use, site plan, supply chain and build capacity of community and FMUs in managing the PMEs resources.
The Firm/Organization will conduct the consultancy work in particularly promoting community livelihood and developing supply chain. with the following details:
A. SCOPE OF WORK:
Required Milestone 1. PMEs resources and supply chain assessment plan:
- Identified community’s management area and FMU management area on PME.
- Methodology for resources and supply chain assessments.
- Preliminary design for promoting community livelihood based on PME resources such ecotourism and sustainable fisheries such as mud crabs, shell, fish.
- Training program and module for PMEs management.
Required Milestone 2. PME resources assessment:
- PMEs resources inventory and sustainability analysis of PMEs area managed by community and FMUs.
- Baseline information of social economic conditions and business infrastructure to support the PMEs livelihood.
- Supply chain, existing policies, and market analysis for eco-tourism and sustainable fisheries development.
- Design of business model for eco-tourism and sustainable fisheries.
Required Milestone 3. Developing PME Business Model for Eco-tourism and PME based fisheries:
- Capacity building for community groups and business units (BUMDes) in business. management and resources management including monitoring and evaluation system, profit sharing, and enforcement. 2. Develop draft supporting regulations and policies at village and district level to promote the green investment in PMEs.
- Capacity building for FMUs/CDK Kehutanan and District Government in managing. sustainable resources-Planning, monitoring and evaluations, and enforcement system.
- Developing site plan for the PMEs livelihood system, eco-tourism and sustainable fisheries.
- At minimum 200 people trained in the PME sustainable livelihood and institution building.
B. SCHEDULE AND LEVEL OF EFFORT: The total level of effort for this consultancy is 180 days from November 2019-August 2020.
C. BUDGET: The total budget for this consultancy is IDR 640.000.000 or equal to 40,000 Euro including travel cost.
D. EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATION:
The consultancy firms or NGOs that conduct the consultancy must have capacity and experience in promoting community livelihood and developing supply chain. The candidate must provide full skills set experts and fulltime facilitators in the target villages. Here the minimum skill sets:
- Forestry-mangrove specialist
- Fisheries specialist
- Landscape design
- Business development and supply chain specialist
- At minimum one full time village facilitators per target villages. The facilitators must live in the villages and provide fulltime assistance to the community.
Applicants are welcome to propose modified milestones that support the achievement of consultancy objectives and deliverables in an efficient and effective manner.
E. REQUIREMENT: the firm/institution is required to submit:
- Organization/Company Profile, including description of its Business Licenses.
- Technical Proposal, containing:
- Description of the Approach
- Timeline of each milestone.
- Budget Plan in IDR (Rupiah) Currency.
- Qualification of Key Personnel/Team Members
Please send your Cover Letter along with documents required on Point E above (in PDF) to:
Please fill the “subject” column of the e-mails in this format:
<Kaimana-Livelihood> – <your firm/organization name>
Closing date for the Quotation/application is 22 November 2019
(Only short-listed candidates will be notified).
For more information about CI, please visit our web:
Indonesia.conservation.org // www.conservation.org