An Opportunity for Leadership
SYSTEMIQ, along with our partners, has built a bold, outcomes-driven program that measurably reduces ocean plastic pollution where it matters most. Together with the government, we build circular, sustainable waste systems that result in cleaner, more thriving communities and a healthier environment. Now it is time to take this program to the next level, graduating from Kecamatan to full regencies and beyond bring circular waste collection to millions of people.
Ultimately, we envision an Indonesia without plastic pollution. A country with clean, modern waste management for every household and business. We are looking for smart, ambitious, innovative leaders to join us in this ambitious work.
- If you have a passion for the ocean and putting your time and skill set to the highest good…
- If you’re passionate about building a circular economy…
- If you see the destruction of precious ecosystems and no longer want to sit on the side-lines…
- If you have an analytical background and are motivated by solving complex problems…
- If you yearn to work with fellow passionate, smart leaders committed to building a better future in Indonesia and South East Asia…
- If you are eager for your career to have real impact, where your actions produce direct, measurable results in people’s lives and for nature…
… then this job may be for you.
With offices in London, Munich, São Paulo, Amsterdam, Jakarta and Bali, SYSTEMIQ is an organization driving system change in clean energy, circular material solutions and sustainable land use. By addressing failures in these areas, SYSTEMIQ aims to unlock economic opportunities that benefit business, society and the environment. In order to deliver in these areas, we recruit and develop distinctive and varied individuals who strive to achieve our mission, challenge the status quo and act as change leaders.
We are seeking a Behavior Change expert for Banyuwangi, who is experienced in designing and guiding programs that inspire whole communities to form new, healthier habits. In Project STOP programs we are introducing waste management systems to communities who often have never experienced a waste system before. This involves inspiring four significant behavior changes within communities – (1) to stop burning or dumping their waste, (2) to use the new waste system, (3) to pay a nominal fee which covers waste collection costs and (4) to separate their waste into organic and non-organic fractions. This expert’s role will be to create a wholistic approach to achieve these behaviors, guide the city or regency in enacting and tracking results of the approach, and ultimately building the local government’s staff capacity to continue the behavior change work for years to come. We are also starting to work with larger and larger communities and need innovative thinkers to experiment with different techniques to inspire hundreds of thousands of people quickly.
- Inspire people to care about the environment and their community enough to engage in responsible waste practices
- Build and implement powerful behavior change campaigns that resonate with the community
- Work with our Communications team to build memorable campaign assets (e.g., social media, videos, posters, contests, radio spots, songs, etc.)
- Lead a team of community facilitators who will spread your messaging far and wide
- Monitor the impact of your campaigns and continually experiment until you find a formula that works well
- Develop a system to institutionalize behavior change actions with the local government which can sustainably run behavior change campaigns long term
- Train regency staff to run their own impactful behavior change work in the future
- Potentially advise other units of government – national, regional, and local – on impactful, sustainable approaches to behavior change
“The secret to change is to focus all of our energy not on fighting the old, but on building the new.” Socrates
SYSTEMIQ is looking for individuals with a strong record of excellence and achievement. You have proven yourself in different contexts and are keen to work in a young, innovative company where you can get involved in a variety of work, shape the business and make maximum impact. You are passionate about our mission and approach to system change. Your background includes working within teams to inspire hard-to-change behaviors and new habit setting. Specifically, you have:
- At least 5 years’ experience, preferably in behavior change approaches and/or community development/engagement/organizing but could also be in marketing and psychology. We will also consider applicants with far more behavior change experience for leadership positions
- Hold at least a bachelor’s degree, preferably a Master’s degree, in social science, marketing, communication, public health, psychology, or related subject
- Experience in designing and running multiple behavior change programs that worked, ideally at regency level or similar, including evaluation of results and adjusting based on progress
- Experience in engaging multiple stakeholders and mobilizing supports for behavior change activities from various stakeholders
- Able to build trust with leaders in the community and assist residents in managing change
- Able to work collaboratively in a team environment and work well with a diverse group of waste stakeholders
- Ideally have an established network with other behavior change professionals, especially in the ocean plastic or waste space (although not required)
- Ability to communicate effectively in both English and Bahasa Indonesian
- Ability to manage dynamic budgets
- Willingness to be full time stationed in Banyuwangi, and have some travel to Bali or Jakarta (post Covid)
- Evidenced passion for the sustainability/environment/social enterprise space.
To apply, please use the link below: