INTRODUCTION AND BACKGROUND:
Starling Resources is an Indonesia-based sustainability consulting practice comprised of a group of practically minded business, community planning, conservation, and finance specialists, committed to providing cutting-edge solutions to complex natural resource management challenges in Asia Pacific and across the globe. Our work focuses on the policies, strategies, financing, institutions, and economics that underpin effective and efficient resource use. Our clients and partners include international donors, bi-lateral and multi-lateral agencies, national and local governments, private companies, and international and local NGOs. Starling Resources is small and collaborative group that offers staff broad exposure and opportunities for leadership. We maintain an egalitarian and collegiate work environment and prioritize staff professional development, providing opportunities for staff to excel and attain internationally relevant experience.
Overall Description of Position: Starling Resources is implementing a suite of innovative and ambitious marine and fisheries-sector initiatives aimed at improving the sustainability of Indonesia’s fisheries at scale. Starling Resources now seeks a highly qualified associate to play a key role in the development and implementation of this work. In close coordination with an implementation team, this role will specifically be tasked with delivery against a two-year fisheries implementation project in West Java. The Associate will provide critical leadership to overall strategy development, partner engagement and project management. Specific tasks will include leading internal and external communications, development of project deliverables including analyses and reporting, and the meeting of project timelines and committments. The associate will liaise frequently with philanthropic donors, community leaders, and with local and national government partners, particularly within the Ministry of Marine Affairs and Fisheries and among provincial level policy makers. The Associate will work closely with Starling Resources’ team of experts and the staff of implementing partners. The position will be based in either Jakarta or Bali with frequent travel.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Program Associate’s duties are expected to include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Provide leadership and overall project management for a Blue Swimming Crab fishery project in West Java; including timeline and deliverable management, planning and implementation of project activities, internal project communications, project reporting to meet client standards, and various other project management and administration tasks
- Contribute to overall institutional marine program strategy and design (projects surrounding fisheries, marine protected areas, aquaculture, etc)
- Lead and/or contribute to technical analysis as needed and appropriate
- Collaboration and coordination with key partners (NGO partners, academics, local government fisheries departments, clients, community leaders, etc.)
- Development and management of engagements with clients (philanthropic donors, NGOs, industry), private sector, community and local government partners and stakeholders as needed and appropriate
- Report directly to Starling Resources’ director
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications and experience:
- Master’s degree preferred (business administration or management, policy, natural resource management, community development, economics or a related field)
- Minimum of five years’ professional experience (preferably in natural resource management, conservation, fisheries, economic and sustainable development or other related fields)
- At least two years’ of experience playing a leadership role in the design and implementation of complex conservation projects and working with partners across sectors
- Solid experience and interest in the management of people and systems in high-pressure environments
- Experience developing clear and coherent communications materials and strategies for projects and clients
- Relevant experience working with international organizations, governments and the private sector
The following competencies are desired for the Program Associate position:
- Excellent management and stakeholder coordination skills
- Strong initiative, persistence, and follow-through
- Highly organized and attentive to detail
- Understanding of natural resources-based business, management, and/or governance, preferably in the marine and fisheries sectors
- Superior relationship and people management skills
- Proven leadership, diplomacy, and teamwork skills
- Strong computer skills; proficiency in Microsoft Office suite
- Strong English writing skills, good communication skills in both Bahasa Indonesia and English
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to maintain a flexible schedule, work long hours when needed, and travel frequently
TERM: 12 month contract renewable contingent on performance and mutual agreement. This position is open to domestic and international candidates alike.
SALARY: Salary and benefits are competitive and dependent on qualifications.
Please no phone calls.