Job Title : Assistant Representative, Indonesia Country Office, NOD
Job ID : 14896
Duty Station : Jakarta, Indonesia
Contract Type : Fixed Term
Duration : 1 Year with posibility of extension
Closing Date : 13 December 2023
Link to the vacancy: https://indonesia.unfpa.org/en/vacancies/assistant-representative-13
PLEASE NOTE THIS VACANCY IS ONLY OPEN FOR NATIONALS OF INDONESIA
The Assistant Representative, in coordination with the Representative, designs, develops, and manages an innovative and responsive Country Programme. You will lead the programme team, inspiring it to translate the regional and Country goals into tangible solutions and results. The Assistant Representative is the most senior position for national staff.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s strategic plan (2022-2025), reaffirms the relevance of the current strategic direction of UNFPA and focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices. These results capture our strategic commitments on accelerating progress towards realizing the ICPD and SDGs in the Decade of Action leading up to 2030. Our strategic plan calls upon UN Member States, organizations and individuals to “build forward better”, while addressing the negative impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic on women’s and girls’ access to sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights, recover lost gains and realize our goals.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
You will contribute to the management of UNFPA programme activities in the areas of population and development, reproductive health and gender. Working to advance the ICPD policy agenda in a politically sensitive environment, you will respond to changing priorities of Governments. Promoting partnership and strategic alliances with counterparts in government, multi-lateral and bilateral agencies and civil society will be key to your role. You will coordinate technical advisers and contribute to UN systems coordination through participation in policy dialogue and provision of inputs into joint common system initiatives.
Reporting to the UNFPA Representative, you will act on their behalf as required.
Countries of assignment are large, politically sensitive, in a location where UNFPA programme activities are highly visible, or in a contiguous group of countries.
You would be responsible for:
- Conducting policy dialogue with Government, UN and other development partners to incorporate UNFPA’s priorities and ICPD agenda into national plans and strategies, and UN systems, initiatives and development frameworks (CCA, UNPDF, CAPs, SDG).
- Translating global strategies into country-specific advocacy strategies. This includes creating and delivering evidence-based advocacy messages to promote UNFPA’s programme goals, taking into account political and social sensitivities.
- Promoting a results-based approach, integrating innovative policies and strategies into the design and formulation of country programmes, sub-programmes and projects. You will ensure programmes are responsive to the country’s needs in area of UNFPA’s strategic priorities.
- Facilitating the achievement of programme results by identifying, providing and coordinating inputs into programme development and implementation, ensuring programme monitoring and oversight, and coordinating and evaluating the inputs of consultants and technical experts.
- Promoting knowledge sharing and continuous learning including testing, evaluating and documenting innovative strategies and best practices internal and external to UNFPA, and integrating these as appropriate.
- Contribute to resource mobilization by identifying potential donors, preparing proposals including outlining co-financing resources for support to the country programme, and supporting the government and other agencies in coordinating assistance for programmes.
Qualifications and Experience:
Advanced degree in Public Health, Medicine, Sociology, Demography, Gender, International Relations, International Development, Economics, Public Administration, Management or other related discipline.
Knowledge and Experience:
- 7 years of progressively responsible professional experience in the field of development and population activities, including programme designing, appraisal and management
- Demonstrated ability to refine programme design to ensure alignment of organizational programme objectives to national priorities/capacities.
- Proven ability to lead and manage teams to achieve demonstrable results.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills to foster engaged partnerships at high level of representation and maintain political partnerships.
Fluency in English and Bahasa Indonesia; knowledge of other official UN languages is desirable.
Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system,
Embracing cultural diversity,
Developing and applying professional expertise/business acumen,
Thinking analytically and strategically,
Working in teams/managing ourselves and our relationships,
Communicating for impact
Advocacy/advancing a policy-orientated agenda,
Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners/building strategic alliances and partnerships,
Delivering results based programmes ,
Internal and external Communication and advocacy for results mobilization.
Managerial Competencies (if applicable):
Providing strategic focus,
Engaging in internal/external partners and stakeholders,
Leading, developing and empowering people, creating a culture of performance
Making decisions and exercising judgement
Compensation and Benefits:
This position offers an attractive remuneration package including a competitive net salary plus health insurance and other benefits as applicable.
UNFPA Work Environment:
UNFPA provides a work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, diversity, integrity and healthy work-life balance. We are committed to ensuring gender parity in the organization and therefore encourage women to apply. Individuals from the LGBTQIA+ community, minority ethnic groups, indigenous populations, persons with disabilities, and other underrepresented groups are highly encouraged to apply. UNFPA promotes equal opportunities in terms of appointment, training, compensation and selection for all regardless of personal characteristics and dimensions of diversity. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is at the heart of UNFPA’s workforce – click here to learn more.
Selection and appointment may be subject to background and reference checks, medical clearance, visa issuance and other administrative requirements.
UNFPA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process and does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
Applicants for positions in the international Professional and higher categories, who hold permanent resident status in a country other than their country of nationality, may be required to renounce such status upon their appointment.